Steve & Barry's in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve & Barry's in Hawaii?

I was just reading about the grand opening of the Steve & Barry's store in Waikele, and was wondering about the company. I'd never heard of it, but a quick Google found it had a strong following. Well, today's New York Times had a great feature on the company:

Is This the World's Cheapest Dress?
    The most basic dresses at J. Crew start at $58. At American Apparel, they start at $26; at Old Navy, $19.50; and at Forever 21, some styles cost $15.80. The least expensive dress on the Wal-Mart Web site is $14.92. Prices at Steve & Barry’s are actually dropping — the $8.98 threshold was introduced as a holiday promotion last year, but remains with no set expiration, Mr. Prevor said. (At the newest store in Waipahu, Hawaii, which opened last Friday, the highest price is $9.98, reflecting increased shipping costs.)
    Decent (if not great) clothes for under $10? In Hawaii? I'm itching to check it out, now. We just went clothes shopping for our three kids, and even sticking to Ross, WalMart and Costco, my wallet is badly wounded. For this store to open in the midst of "recession" talk and $4/gallon gas is remarkable timing!

Re: Steve & Barry's in Hawaii?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I was just reading about the grand opening of the Steve & Barry's store in Waikele, and was wondering about the company. I'd never heard of it, but a quick Google found it had a strong following. Well, today's New York Times had a great feature on the company
    I went to S&Bs in three states last year because at the time they were selling Marbury basketball sneakers for $15. When you have a picky teen wanting to change her sneakers as often as she changes her socks, Marburys are the only affordable solution.

Great cheap college-logo gear, too. S&B either has microscopic margins or there's a sweatshop-labor scandal waiting to be discovered.

That side of Waikele has always seemed to suffer from too little visibility & traffic. I wonder what that end's store turnover is compared to the rest of the place... maybe it'll get better with the new office building.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

If people know about it, they will come! Who can resist a good bargain? Definitely not any of the women I know. I don't get out to Waikele that often, but if the cost of my purchases can justify the price of the gas it takes to get out there and the time I spend waiting in line after clawing thru the racks like your typical bargain-hunting lioness, then I'm more likely to find myself at Waikele (instead of maybe 4 times a year).

I've never head of the place, but I'm definitely intrigued!!!
      Last edited by AbsolutChaos; May 2, 2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

everything in the store as of wednesday, the 14th, was $9.98 or less. very good basics. sarah jessica parker's bitten brand along with sex and the city logo brands are there. also, venus williams eleven brand looked decent. lots and lots of denim.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Re: Best Purchases of the Day

went to Steve and Barry's about 2 weekends ago, i thought it was catered more to juniors. was going to purchase some transformers shirts but..as we were looking, the kid said MOM! i have to go to the bathroom! and then they wouldn't let a kid use the bathroom, they just said no, no bathroom, & walked away. in the meantime some other clerk punches a code and walks into the bathroom in front of the hubby and the kid. the hubby puts the shirts down and walked away and vowed never to return again then proceeded to tell like 15 million people about it and then they said they wouldn't shop there ever either.

Comment

We like Steve & Barry's but definitely learned about the restroom issue early on. I just let my son water the plants out front. Maybe if enough parents and bladder challenged adults had to make the same urgent decision, they'd rethink their policy. I'm certain they've had their share of in-store accidents as well.

It's one thing if your store is in a mall with shared restroom options, but Steve & Barry's is in the middle of nowhere at Waikele.

I suspect that corporate keeps margins so low by national policy that, particularly in Hawaii, they simply won't pay their employees enough to deal with cleaning toilets.

Comment

I have no interest in S&B but I can add that Ross's in Kaneohe has stopped allowing customers to use their bathrooms. There is a tacky piece of paper worn and tattered taped to the door that says "no public bathrooms." I was
              with a cart of stuff (they had some really nice planters and 4th of July decorations) and just left it in the aisle as I needed to go and was then on a search for a bathroom. Boo on you Ross's!

Comment

Last night I caught up on this thread, so I made sure our little guy used the restroom at Genki's before we headed over to Steve & Barry's. Despite that pit stop, half a lap 'round S&B's and he gives the "Uh oh, I gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now." I explain to him that I need to take him to another store, but he runs over to the CS rep closest to the dressing rooms and lo and behold she leads him to the heavily secured blue door marked EMPLOYEES ONLY. He flashes a huge grin at me and says "I can do it." 15-seconds later he's hollering, "Neenz!" Once again the CS rep enters the secret code to unlock the coveted toilets, and I enter.

Eww, eww, eww! It was disgusting, and our little guy was grossed out! If it's an employee only restroom - it's disgusting! If they're allowing, but monitoring access to the public, I don't think there's any sort of cleaning schedule in the routine.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

And another one tries to avoid biting the dust. Steve & Barry's filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Interesting article...esp. how this business received most of it's earnings!

Comment

Working...
                  X