Carrier/PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier/PBS

Did anybody watch the 10-part series about life at sea on the USS Nimitz? Hubby has been in the Navy for almost 20 years (including sea time on 2 carriers) and I worked with the Navy for 7 years - we both can't believe the Navy allowed this documentary to be made. It's very well done and gives a good glimpse into life at sea but it doesn't always paint the Navy in a positive light and working in public affairs - keeping a positive image about the Navy was always our number one priority.

I haven't watched all the episodes yet but what I've seen so far has been very interesting. I'm looking forward to finding some time to finish up the series. We ordered the DVD from PBS, which includes extras.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/
    Last edited by kiwidiva; May 2, 2008, 02:39 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Carrier/PBS

I was in the Navy in the late sixties and went on a WestPac cruise on the USS Hancock, the last wooden deck carrier that was still in commission, also the USS Kitty Hawk, and USS Constellation, as part of the airwing. I was especially interested on what was going on on the flight deck since that is where I worked. What impressed me the most was all the conveniences that was available, but I guess that is expected forty years later.
    I watched all ten hours and really enjoyed it.

Comment

wow. it looks like you can watch all 10 episodes online. I love being able to do that..
      n'importe

Comment

We've ordered the DVDs to help our kid decide whether joining the family business is such a hot idea after all. This series seems like one of the best recruiting tools since "Top Gun"... certainly beats the heck out of "Sharks of Steel" and "Steel Boats, Iron Men".

It was interesting to watch the air boss get all enthused about practicing pitching-deck landings and then later realizing that he'd bit off more than they really wanted to chew. (Geez, guys, buy more simulators.) I'm also surprised that the Navy kept their hands off all the footage of the lessons learned by young sailors about alcohol.

I'm impressed with the website, too. Seems like an impressive amount of effort.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
        X