Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buffet Behavior

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I don't want to see how Portugese Sausage is made.
    We used to "make our own" back in the old days. We never ground the ingredients into a mushy paste which was then force-fed into the casings. Instead, there were actual cubes of pork and fat along with the various spices stuffed into the casings which were then slow-smoked. The chubs were fat little rascals weighing at least one lb. And, oh so delicious with eggs and rice.

Comment

Oysters went down really well with champagne - but unfortunately didn't stay there!
      Oh no! I've heard quite a few horror stories - not just from buffets either.

I hope it NEVER happens to me. The main reason I like them at buffets is because I can eat a lot of them and that really adds up when you're paying by the half dozen or dozen! Let's just say that if there is an oyster eating contest here, my husband would sign me up in a heartbeat! He is amazed at how many I can eat!

My kids love them too so if I buy a dozen and have to share with them - I never get enough so then I order a dozen more... you get the picture...

Mother's Day two years ago hubby got me three dozen from the fish market - they weren't so fun when I had to shuck them myself though! I know what I'm risking when I eat them at a restaurant but I don't care - they are SO GOOD!
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Oh, I love 'em, and considering their price in "regular" restaurants, buffets can be a great bargain for oyster lovers. Unfortunately, you seldom see the staff shucking them fresh and therefore have no idea how long they've been sitting out. That's a mistake I won't make twice.

If you don't mind shucking them yourself, they can be bought in Chinatowns and Asian markets at a bargain. We're lucky in the Bay Area to have some oyster farms which sell directly to the public - can't get any fresher than that. Some even have BBQ/picnic areas on site for a really fun day out.

Our favorite

Sorry to derail topic with oyster talk!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          It would be funny to see a buffet restaurant charge people by their body weight (and actually use a scale to check!): 0-100 lbs. - $10/person; 101-150 lbs. - $15/person; 150-200 lbs. - $20, 201 lbs. and above - $30.
          When I was a kid there was a restaurant called "The Big Yellow House" (or something like that, I think it was a chain) that charged kids by weight. You had to step on a one of those old giant scales like at the carnival where they guess your weight. Instead of actual weight, the pointer would indicate the price you were charged for your meal.

I don't remember anything about the food, just the scale. I guess I'm still somewhat traumatized by the shame of always "topping out" on the kids' menu price!

Comment

Thanks for that link, NoCal Boy!

SHUCKS (pun intended) - I was just in the Bay Area in February - the kids and I would have been in heaven at the Hog Island Oyster Co.

I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in NoCal - hopefull in the summer so we can picnic on site.

As for shucking - um, I'm no good at it!
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
            X