Thread: Gas Prices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gas Prices

I thought this subject had been covered but I didn't find anything! So, here goes!

My car takes premium gas. Yesterday's fill up will be the last for under $4./gal. for awhile, I'm afraid. The price was $3.99.9 at Lex Brodies.

Brodie's has reconfigured their pricing and lane set-up on Queen St. IIRC, the choices are now "cash/self serve", "cash/mini serve" and "credit card/mini serve". It used to be either cash or credit and always mini-serve, all lanes. A couple of lanes are now assigned for each of those price points. After patronizing that gas station for 13 years I didn't even notice the overhead signs so ended up in the wrong lane which was discovered after my fill up! There was supposed to be an attendant at the entry driveway directing customers to the appropriate lane but attendant didn't bother to do that!

I think Costco's station is still the least expensive with Brodie's in 2nd place. Are there any other Oahu stations that are trying to stay under $4/gal.? At the risk of redundancy, my price reference is for premium. Come to think of it, has any station on Oahu hit $4. or more/gal. for regular unleaded?

When will this madness end?!

Default Re: Gas Prices

according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal. for regular unleaded on o'ahu yet. i'm sure it will sooner than later. don't the prices go up even more during the summer?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

I've crashed through the $60.00 per fill-up barrier the last two visits to the pump. It's $3.999/gallon for premium.

Because my daughter forgot an item for her trip to Hilo on Friday, I had to make a second run to the airport to drop it off with her boss, who was taking a later flight. That probably burned up 1-1/2 gallons. C'est la vie .........

My sister did the math on her SUV: At the current price, it costs her $15 in fuel for a round trip from Kapolei to Hawaii Kai and back.

That would be an interesting way to contribute to this thread. Do the calculation of your daily commute (no need say specifically from where to where) and tell us how much you're paying for your particular drive in total gas price.

I'm fortunate to live within close proximity to work, so it's not a big deal for me. Yet.

I thought Hawai'i was supposed to be expensive compared to other places. Regular in most stations in Southern California is OVER $4 per gallon. Costco is an exception. Still under $4 for regular with premium right at $4.

I understrand that premium in the San Francisco area is over $4.50.

I have written a letter to the local City Council asking to reduce speed limits on some of the intercity streets to 35 mph and under in order to make electric golf carts a legal alternative. We'll see if I get a response.

Ofa 'atu
    Mui Houma

Lightbulb Re: Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I have written a letter to the local City Council asking to reduce speed limits on some of the intercity streets to 35 mph and under in order to make electric golf carts a legal alternative. We'll see if I get a response.
    The response will likely be either laughter or anger, since the city has been (in their view) going out of their way to give incentives for street legal golf carts that GEM of Hawaii has been selling for the last eight years. I think if you drive one of these, HPD actually lets you park free, all day in any metered stall.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I thought Hawai'i was supposed to be expensive compared to other places. Regular in most stations in Southern California is OVER $4 per gallon. Costco is an exception. Still under $4 for regular with premium right at $4.

I understrand that premium in the San Francisco area is over $4.50.
    Regular is over $4 in New York right now. Now I have one more reason to want to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Do the calculation of your daily commute (no need say specifically from where to where) and tell us how much you're paying for your particular drive in total gas price.
    I live as close to downtown as I can afford (5 miles from my house to my office), so my daily work commute is just 10 miles/day. My car is old and only gets 20 miles/gallon, so a day's commute burns half a gallon of gasoline. At $4.00/gallon, that comes out to $2.00/day.

On average, I typically put 5,000 miles/year on my car, so that comes to 5,000 ÷ 20 × 4.00 = $1,000/year in fuel cost.

But that's just the fuel cost. There's also the cost of buying the car in the first place, plus insurance and maintenance and repair. I haven't actually done the math but my guess is that my annual cost to own and run my car is at least $5,000 -- $3,000 in car payments, $1,000 in insurance, $1,000 in fuel, plus I don't know how much for maintenance and repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
    Oh, lucky you.

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Oh, lucky you.
    Pssst...Random? Kani posted that price on May 18!

There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
    Is that every Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Only $24.? Really?! That's incredible in this day and age! Is that for the first 4 lanes at Brodie's or just the first 2 lanes that are cash/self serve?

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Pssst...Random? Kani posted that price on May 18!
    Oh, please. I was still paying more than $4/gal on Molokai ... in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Oh, please. I was still paying more than $4/gal on Molokai ... in May.
    What are you paying now?