Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Default Re: Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    I don't know where you get your information, but last time I checked, Canada, Mexico and Venezuela were foreign countries.
    Venezuela yes, but Canada and Mexico is part of North American Union, well almost

For 2007, the Top 10 importers of crude oil into the U.S. (in million barrels) were:

1. Canada 680.533
    2. Saudi Arabia 530.245
    3. Mexico 514.480
    4. Venezuela 419.841
    5. Nigeria 394.856
    6. Angola 181.215
    7. Iraq 177.009
    8. Algeria 161.755
    9. Ecuador 72.138
    10. Kuwait 64.306

Source

Sorry! Was wrong! My bad!

Since this post is in the 'Route 808' forum, I find this quote apt (if somewhat dated), "We import 28 percent of our oil from Alaska, but 72 percent comes from foreign sources including Indonesia, China, Papua New Guinea, and Vietnam." [Excerpt from statement of Senator Daniel K. Akaka, February 17, 2005]
    Last edited by salmoned; July 24th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Lightbulb Re: Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
    Venezuela yes, but Canada and Mexico is part of North American Union, well almost
    Good point, MadRussian. This topic is being discussed here.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

am in philippines right now (as i've mentioned before in recent posts). premium gas costs just under seventy pesos, or about a dollar seventy. of course, the wages here are incredibly low.

That's per liter, right? x 4 = ~$6.00/gal [Paying attention to the details can really pay off]
    Last edited by salmoned; August 6th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.

Since this post is in the 'Route 808' forum, I find this quote apt (if somewhat dated), "We import 28 percent of our oil from Alaska, but 72 percent comes from foreign sources including Indonesia, China, Papua New Guinea, and Vietnam." [Excerpt from statement of Senator Daniel K. Akaka, February 17, 2005]
    Are those countries also running out of oil?

Should we be concerned as to how they get their oil? And what labor infrastructure they use, measuring up to our high standard of labor and job safety laws?

Frankly, I question the need to be oil-independent. We still have an abundance of oil. We just cannot touch them because of environmental concerns. I'd rather be weaned off of imported foreign oil dependency and tap our own source.

What? Me Worry? Not in the least. When the worldwide average temperature rises 4 to 5 more degrees and the oceans rise 50 more feet, we'll see conditions similar to those of 3 million years ago, when humans first evolved.
    Last edited by salmoned; August 6th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Just saw a demonstration of the hydrogen technology, and of a device known as a Stynger.

Stynger $400
    Hydrogen $2200 installed

Both are awesome. Got to test drive the Stynger on my own Corolla. Impressive "Butt Dyno" results.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

ty for correction, salmoned. kinda hard to catch all details when whizzing by on a tricycle, as motorcycles with attached covered sidecars carrying up to three passengers are called here. actually, tricycles are the taxis of the PI for inter-town/city travel.

What? Me Worry? Not in the least. When the worldwide average temperature rises 4 to 5 more degrees and the oceans rise 50 more feet, we'll see conditions similar to those of 3 million years ago, when humans first evolved.
    Humans made do before in the city of Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    Just saw a demonstration of the hydrogen technology, and of a device known as a Stynger.
    Stynger $400
    I just looked at Stynger website. IMHO - Stynger is bullshit device. Same as bunch of other - vortex, cold air intakes, ...

I test drove it. Clear difference in power at 5,200 rpm. Nearly was scratchin the Michelins in 2nd gear goin uphill at full tilt boogie.

Do you know if NASCAR uses any of these kinds of technologies?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Do you know if NASCAR uses any of these kinds of technologies?
    I'm guessing it doesn't. Most motor racing series have very strict regulations as to what kinds of technologies you're allowed to use on the car. NASCAR has very strict technical regs to keep the cars as similar as possible.

Starting next year, Formula 1, which is the highest level of motor racing in the world, will allow something they call KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) in F1 cars. It's similar to the regenerative braking system found in modern hybrids. Braking energy will be stored (in batteries, flywheels, rubber bands, etc.) and used to assist in propelling the car later. With the kinds of R&D budgets F1 teams have (in the hundreds of millions of US $ a year per team), we should expect a lot of forward progress to be made on KERS technology. Stuff that should trickle down easily into road cars.
    Last edited by zff; August 14th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

As hurricane Ike approached Texas, gas prices were raised $1.50 per gallon... in 24 hours.
    There should be a federal investigation, fines, loss of licenses and permits, and anything else they can throw at those crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm just glad that liberal politics has successfully prevented any more refineries from being built in the last 30 years. I'm also glad that Dems have resisted oil drilling for so long. Most of all, I'm happy that LOTS of alternatives are available to the average consumer, and yet, they still do not choose them.

I think I will go for a nice drive tomorrow in the 41 mpg Corolla. Won't cost much. Then, when I get home, I will pick some papayas, pineapple, cilantro, chili pepper, and onion, and whip up a little salsa to smother on my ono.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Filled up yesterday in Campbell, CA. $3.74 a gallon. News reports: "expect much higher prices . . . soon."

Will be interesting to see gas prices as I drive up thru NV, ID, OR and WA - visiting family members on my way up to attend a Navy reunion in Bremerton.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Lightbulb Re: Gas Prices

I think I will go for a nice drive tomorrow in the 41 mpg Corolla. Won't cost much.
    Tim, I find it hilarious how you continue to tout your Corolla as a badge of fuel-efficient honor. For those of you on HT who would like to see three popular competitively-priced mass-produced cars that get better gas mileage then Tim’s vehicle, click here. The video is actually a competition between the three, to see which one lives up to its billing.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

$3.61 today in stuuupid hot Southern California.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

What's interesting is oil prices keep falling (it's under $100 now), but gas prices is not. Even raising! And now Ike happened, how convenient! Blame on Ike!!!

Big wind storm blew through Cincinnati yesterday and did a lot of damage, some places might take a week to replace the power. My mom says right before the power went out a lot of gas stations hiked their prices to as much as $5 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
    What's interesting is oil prices keep falling (it's under $100 now), but gas prices is not. Even raising! And now Ike happened, how convenient! Blame on Ike!!!
    Didn't the oil companies have an emergency fund to cover disasters such as Hurricane Ike? Their huge profits must be sufficient enough to repair those damaged oil refineries from Hurricane Ike.

Does The Buses seem less crowded now that gas prices have lowered?

Not mine - it's mostly full of kids heading for St. Louis/Sacred Hearts/Hanahauoli/Punahou/Maryknoll/MidPac/St. Francis/UH Lab School/UH Manoa. (Most of them are polite about taking their packbacks off the "empty" seat so people don't have to stand, but some aren't - especially the St. Louis kids.) Only thing that seems to make a difference in ridership is a school holiday. There were days last summer when it was only me, one other passenger and the driver ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast