Makakilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makakilo

Has anyone ever heard of the Makakilo hills, in Oahu. I used to live near Ewa beach many years ago, and my friends used to live up these hills called Makakilo. But when i look it up i can not find such a name. Is/was there such a place? Thanks.

Re: Makakilo

Sup Chala,

Yeah Makakilo has been around for a few decades. My friend used to live up there. Fairly well developed, but of course being on a ridge limits its expansion. I've always heard of it referred to as "Makakilo" and not "Makakilo Hills", but I've never lived there.

Here's a view.

Regards,
    MJ
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Chala View Post
      Has anyone ever heard of the Makakilo hills, in Oahu. I used to live near Ewa beach many years ago, and my friends used to live up these hills called Makakilo. But when i look it up i can not find such a name. Is/was there such a place? Thanks.
      A quick Google of Makakilo brought up many results. Here's one of them. It's right up the ridege above Kapolei. Take the Kapolei exit off the H1, then take a right.

If I'm not mistaken, Kapolei and Makakilo share the same zip code, 96707. I believe those who live in Makakilo even use the city designation of Kapolei now. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Never in my whole life have I ever heard it referred to has 'Makakilo Hills'. It's just Makakilo.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        Sup Chala,

Yeah Makakilo has been around for a few decades. My friend used to live up there. Fairly well developed, but of course being on a ridge limits its expansion. I've always heard of it referred to as "Makakilo" and not "Makakilo Hills", but I've never lived there.

Here's a view.

Regards,
        MJ
        Thank you very much MyopicJoe!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          A quick Google of Makakilo brought up many results. Here's one of them. It's right up the ridege above Kapolei. Take the Kapolei exit off the H1, then take a right.

If I'm not mistaken, Kapolei and Makakilo share the same zip code, 96707. I believe those who live in Makakilo even use the city designation of Kapolei now. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Never in my whole life have I ever heard it referred to has 'Makakilo Hills'. It's just Makakilo.
          Thank you Lei Liko

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            meh. a makakilo-an would likely REFUSE to note kapolei as being their home address. anyone who has gone from makakilo to kapolei or vice versa knows the difference between the two hoods is pretty big. at the very least, if you walk down makakilo drive to kapolei, i swear to you that there seems to be a certain invisible line (above the freeway below) where you can feel a distinct climate change.

i should know. i lived in makakilo for years, and i used to walk up and down that "hill" from about the fire station on panana to the kapolei shopping center almost every weekend.

side note: makakilo used to have "ewa beach" as its zip code designation. of course, this is before kapolei existed.

--sincerely, a former makakilo elitist
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
              meh. a makakilo-an would likely REFUSE to note kapolei as being their home address. anyone who has gone from makakilo to kapolei or vice versa knows the difference between the two hoods is pretty big.
              SO STUCK UP! WHAT? LIKE TRO!?

Jus' kiddin' xD

Actually, I lived in Pearl City, but most of my friends lived in Makakilo/Kapolei.

My best friend's family moved to Kapolei when it first opened. I remember one night, cruising at his house (very near the entrance). There was the squeal of tires, a loud crash, and the sound of metal showering down from the sky.

Felt like 1/4th of the neighborhood came out to see what was up. Turned out a drunk guy driving a van full of mechanic tools took a turn too fast, careened off a tree, and went flip his van.

Most people just stood around watching and whispering. A few went up to the driver to see if he needed help, but the guy was more embarrassed than anything else. The really sad/funny part was a few people started stealing the tools laying on the ground. I don't think anyone was bad enough to go into the van itself. That would be real shame.

My friends lived at the top of Makakilo. I guess they lived in Greater Makakilo while you lived down in Lesser Makakilo? ;_D

i should know. i lived in makakilo for years, and i used to walk up and down that "hill" from about the fire station on panana to the kapolei shopping center almost every weekend.
              Man, that "hill" used to kick the crap out of my old POS car. I kid you not, my car would actually start farting by the time it crawled up to the top. Smelled like methane. I felt so sorry for it.

That was back high school time. Oh man, the memories. Hiking up the mountain, being told about this mysterious place called Timberline, but never seeing it. Lying down in the field by the rec center, watching the stars fall when there was still little light pollution. My friends bragging about hiking up "Bolo Head Mountain", seeing it in the distance on the Diamond Head side. Playing Final Fantasy III and bicycle gangs!

I think I knew 8 people who lived Makakilo back in the early 90s. I want to drop names, but I shall behave myself.

What were the buses that used to go down there? I'm sure the numbers are different now, from back then. I remember there was a Makaha bus and a Makakilo bus. The Makaha bus showed up more often, but it didn't take you up the hill. I think 52/53 were Pearl City'ish. Maybe 56/58 are the ones I'm thinking of???
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

meh. a makakilo-an would likely REFUSE to note kapolei as being their home address. anyone who has gone from makakilo to kapolei or vice versa knows the difference between the two hoods is pretty big. at the very least, if you walk down makakilo drive to kapolei, i swear to you that there seems to be a certain invisible line (above the freeway below) where you can feel a distinct climate change.
                Cynsaligia can you be more specific, tell us what you mean.

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                Most people just stood around watching and whispering. A few went up to the driver to see if he needed help, but the guy was more embarrassed than anything else. The really sad/funny part was a few people started stealing the tools laying on the ground. I don't think anyone was bad enough to go into the van itself. That would be real shame.
                Great story Joe...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Chala View Post
                  Cynsaligia can you be more specific, tell us what you mean.
                  makakilo = cool, breezy; and pre-2000, houses were not built so close together that you could break wind in your bathroom without fear of your neighbor hearing.

kapolei = hot, very little wind. houses built so close together that if you break wind in your bathroom, your neighbor is sure to smell it.

of course, i playfully jest in my derision of kapolei vs. makakilo. but it's basically the same kind of thing as kalihi vs. kamehameha heights. i think most people would prefer to live in a cool, breezy, if hilly climate versus a humid, hot, windless climate. that's all, nothing to "tro" down for.

p.s. my remembrance is the makaha bus didn't go up makakilo drive. when i was living in makakilo, only the makakilo bus would go up makakilo and then wind through kapolei. i can't speak for when i didn't live there.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

side note: makakilo used to have "ewa beach" as its zip code designation. of course, this is before kapolei existed.

Since Makakilo doesn't have its own Post Office, all deliveries to Makakilo came from the Ewa Beach Post Office, before and even after Kapolei was born. Did you ever notice that Kapolei addresses have the 91- before the address like Ewa Beach, rather than 92- which is what Makakilo addresses have? Then Kapolei got its own 96707 zip code to differentiate it from Ewa Beach's 96706, although all mail delivery still came out of the Ewa Beach Post Office. Being that Makakilo was just up the hill from Kapolei, I guess that is why they changed their zip code to Kapolei's 96707 rather than leaving it Ewa Beach's 96706. Eventually as Makakilo and Kapolei (and Ewa Beach) continued to grow, the Kapolei/Makakilo routes moved to the newly built (at the time) Waipahu Post Office as they had way more room to house all the routes than Ewa Beach, but the zip code is still Kapolei 96707, not Waipahu 96797.

sorry for the thread drift ...
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X