Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from TX

Aloha board!

my names Josh. i and my (im not quite sure what our relationship status is) girl are moving ot Maui on June 3rd.

were flying into Honolulu and then taking the ferry over to Maui(kula) the next day. if you have any opinions worth sharing on the ferry, id appreciate them!

we were originally planning to move to Hilo. but found a house on craigslist on Maui that fit us well, and includes so many amenities that we couldnt turn it down.

I am a nature NUT, fishing, hiking, photography are what i eat sleep and breath. so any opinions on GREAT places to go please share them as well. im sure pretty much everywhere on the islands is GREAT for those types of things.

We plan on starting a huge garden, and im kinda interested in selling produce at local markets, is that something easy to get in to?

Anyway, this was just the hi, so ill cut it off here, and post nonsense and question threads on other forums

im so greatful to be a part of this community now, and cant wait to hear from all of you!

mahalo
    aloha
    peacelove, Just Me
    "Until the color of a mans skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes"

"To devide and rule will only tear us apart. In every mans chest, there beats a heart"

"So feel this drum beat, as it beats within. Playin the rhythym. Resisting against the system"

Re: Aloha from TX

nobody can say hi to just me

its all good, cuz ill be in Hawaii soon
    "Until the color of a mans skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes"

"To devide and rule will only tear us apart. In every mans chest, there beats a heart"

"So feel this drum beat, as it beats within. Playin the rhythym. Resisting against the system"

Comment

Um, hi?

Sorry for not meeting the 90-minute cutoff for friendly greetings. I hope we can do better in the future!

Comment

sorry, guess im just used to really busy forums where if you dont have like 60 answers in 5 minutes it usually means your computer froze! haha

didnt mean to sound short. just wanted to bump the aloha, as i was headed out the door to go fishin...caught a few lilttle bass, and one nice bass.

what kind of freshwater fish(if any) are on the islands?

i know all the saltwater ones, but just curious if theres any inland fishing to be done...

if anyone wants to see the bass ill put up a pic.

anyway, again im glad to be a part of this here community, and mahalo.

aloha
        peacelove, just me

Comment

Aloha Just Me! I'll be interested to find out about the fresh water fish too. I don't think there are too many lakes across the islands. Seems like there's one in central Oahu.

I posted some pics from Maui in the Photo Sharing Thread from Honolua Bay. I'll post some from Black Rock in a little bit. Here's a link: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...374#post196374

Comment

thanx jim!

yeah i was thinkin more along the lines of streams...

is there many?

i mean all species there are introduced one way or another right?

if it didnt get there by ocean it was brought either by bird or man right?

thanks for the link too!

im already debating why i would ever leave hawaii! AHHAHAH

peacelove

Comment

Lots of streams, especially on the windward sides of the islands.

I don't want to un-neccessarily cause you any concern, but I thought it fair to note a couple of items related to renting housing in the islands. Although I'm sure there are many exceptions, from what I gather on the web, it is not overly common for landlords to rent to a person until they are on the island. Apparently there are some unscrupulous parties who list housing opportunities on Craigslist that either don't exist or they are not the actual landlord. If you watch the Oahu Craigslist listings, every now and then someone will put up a warning about this. They say that you should not send money to anyone before you get there and see the rental and landlord in person. Rents in Hawaii are very high. If you see a listing for a rental situation that seems too good to be true, it may be a scam. Sometimes in the Oahu listings you will see something like a 3 bedroom house with a view and utilities like electric included for $800 per month. From my understanding, this may not be impossible, but very, very unlikely.

Once my Dad was in the hospital and on the way in to visit, my Mom noticed a small patch of ice in the parking lot. She apparently thought of warning my sister-in-law, but figured she would certainly see it herself when she came later (it's a very small parking lot). So my sister-in-law comes later carrying my niece and slips on this ice. She successfully hung on to the baby with both arms, but landed smack on her tailbone. No serious injury, but since that time I virtually always feel a press to warn people when I am aware of something.
              Last edited by Jim75; May 24, 2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Here are a few examples:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/searc...xAsk=&bedrooms=

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/689784123.html

Plus here's Craigslist's own warning:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

At the same time, some locations on the islands do have substantially lower rents than others. Just like anywhere.

Comment

hahah, i like your analogy!

sorry it resulted in pain. but it makes a valid point!

i actually have a friend on Maui that went and checked out the landlord and his businesses and the property inside and out.

and its not a too good to be true deal on the price. its $775 for literally a shack. but we want a shak and not a "mainland" style house.

the landlord says my girl can run his store and i can be "maintainance" type guy! im a jack of all trades so this just fit right into play.

thanks for your concern!

now to check out the new links you sent!

mahalo
                  aloha
                  peacelove. just me

Comment

Hi there JustMe! Welcome to HT!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

thanks turtle girl!

sorry to hear about ninja...

if i wouldnt get thrown in prison id sneak you a baby red ear slider. theyre all over TX right now the size of quarters!

Comment

Be sure to go to the Old Lahaina Lu'au! It's amazing!

Have you tried any Hawaiian food before? I recommend mahimahi. It's so 'ono (delicious)!
                        'Alika

Comment

no ive never tried any.

i want REAL AUTHENTIC Hawaiian food...

and i'll have to check out the Lu'au

isnt there a festival takin place right around the time im flying in (june 3) on all the islands?

if so, where are some of the best places to go to enjoy the festival. more so to learn the culture and history and MUCH less for the party

Comment

Aloha, I just added you on messenger. Can't wait to chat with you and answer any questions you may have.
                            'Alika

Comment

Howzit!

Welcome to Hawaii! I lived in Oklahoma for 10 years, so Im a little familiar with the Country of Texas As much as we become enemies around OU-Texas day, Ive found that people from that part of the country are just as loving, community and family oriented as the locals here are. Ive gotten into photography as well and have been taking snaps of everything I come across in Honolulu. Id love to see some of your work on Maui if you have it posted someplace. Ive got a few of my pics on my webpage, and am trying to add more when time allows.

Aloha and hope all goes well for you here.
                              "Positive Vibration"
                              Since 1977

Comment

Working...
                              X