• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaneohe Sand Bar

Kaneohe Bay Sandbar to be patrolled

Hey Likanui! Check this out...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...e=nletter-news
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Kaneohe Sand Bar

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Kaneohe Bay Sandbar to be patrolled
    Hey Likanui! Check this out...
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...e=nletter-news
    Yeah, saw it this morning in the papers, and actually received the same press release in the mail yesterday. I think it's great that they're going to beef up enforcement. I can't begin to tell you the number of inebriated buffoons I see out there, causing trouble for the rest of us.
    Idiots on boat speeding just a few yards away from the anchored boats and their swimmers, with their huge wakes sending the anchored boats rocking hideously and endangering the swimmers. Probably half the boats out there are rank amateurs who don't have the first clue about appropriate behavior. That's why I usually anchor away from the partying herds.
    That's also why I frequently end up towing those same idiots after they hit one of the reefs. Heh.
    (I also keep a couple of nets on board and scoop up whatever trash I see floating in the bay.)
    The problem is that there's been no enforcement at the sandbar (or anywhere in Kaneohe Bay) ever since 9/11, almost 7 years ago. The Coast Guard and DLNR and DOBOR folks were all sent over to Honolulu Harbor, and only came back to K-Bay a couple of months ago. Welcome Home, I say!!!
    Also, did you know that DLNR has only four people to patrol the entire windward side of the island?!? And those four people not only have to patrol the ocean, they also have to patrol the hiking trails and do all those rescues!!! FOUR people, for entire windward side. That is nothing short of ludicrous!!! Shameful. ABSURD!
    But I digress. (A wonderful habit of mine.) Thanks for posting the topic. Are you (or anyone else here on HT) going to the sandbar this weekend? It'll be a zoo, as usual. Nineteen gazillion boats. Pffffbt.
    Oh, and by the way... that brawl a few years ago, mentioned in the newspapers today (and in the past too)? The brawlers that started the whole thing were drunk, of course. But they were also off-duty cops! Funny how the media never mentioned that part of it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wanna see the sandbar on TV? Watch KHON news tonight. A little birdie ( ) told me that a boat took out a reporter and cameraman to shoot the action.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is... a couple of DOCARE officers on patrol for 3 days doesn't really address any problem.

The Sandbar doesn't need a permanent DLNR presence. Yeah, there are idiots out there (both local and military) on occassion but the media has really blown this thing out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
          I don't see what the big deal is... a couple of DOCARE officers on patrol for 3 days doesn't really address any problem.
          Actually, it does. Everyone who's been out there this weekend has noticed a major difference. Older folks and families of all ages have said how pleasant and peaceful it's been, and even the younger party animal types agree. That's based on my own conversations with a bunch of people and with the interviews on KHON and KITV. Nobody has complained; everybody has complimented.

The Sandbar doesn't need a permanent DLNR presence. Yeah, there are idiots out there (both local and military) on occassion but the media has really blown this thing out of proportion.
          I agree. It's usually pretty okay out there, though there will always be a couple of rude and inconsiderate groups (usually at the high spot) with stereos cranked up to 15 and lots of yelling. Those of us who want peace and quiet just go farther away from the high spot. No permanent DLNR presence required.
          But on holiday weekends... heck yes!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Wanna see the sandbar on TV? Watch KHON news tonight...
            Here's a link...
            TV News 5/25/08

I think it's a good idea. 'Cause I've experienced mayhem out there even long ago!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I actually "hate" going to the sandbar on the weekends now. It's way too crowded nowadays and too much people there who cannot handle their liquour.
              Then you get the dummies who gotta blast their music for the whole bay to hear.

Comment

Re: Kaneohe Sandbar

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                I think it's a good idea. 'Cause I've experienced mayhem out there even long ago!
                Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                I actually "hate" going to the sandbar on the weekends now. It's way too crowded nowadays and too much people there who cannot handle their liquour. Then you get the dummies who gotta blast their music for the whole bay to hear.
                It's a huge sandbar, so I almost always anchor well away from the crowds. I don't need to be at the high dry spot; I'm perfectly happy with water up to my ankles. Not to mention the number of turtles you see when you're away from the crowds!
                Anyway, I just posted a bunch of photos from Memorial Day over in the Hawaii Boating Photos thread.

Comment

It's a huge sandbar, so I almost always anchor well away from the crowds. I don't need to be at the high dry spot; I'm perfectly happy with water up to my ankles. Not to mention the number of turtles you see when you're away from the crowds!
                  We usually hang out at the north end of the sandbar as well because there is way more room and less people. Plus, we can waterski and wakeboard right off of the sandbar when there's no DLNR boats around.

Like you mentioned, there are quite a bit of honu hanging out at this end of the sandbar.

Comment

Some time ago, someone who was gonna visit Oahu inquired about a "sunken island" in Kaneohe bay. I said I never heard of it but now I think they were talking about the sand bar.

Anyway, I just posted a bunch of photos from Memorial Day over in the Hawaii Boating Photos thread.
                    Looks like Spring Break Kaneohe Bay! lol

Comment

Pesky turtles...

Do plenty of turtle and high speed water craft mix well?
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Pesky turtles...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Do plenty of turtle and high speed water craft mix well?
                        The honu stay close to the very shallow area, where boats are (usually) moving very very slowly. As soon as the honu hear the boats coming, they dive. Sailboats under sail are probably more likely to surprise a honu than a powerboat is.

Comment

I saw a giant ray in the shallows at the sandbar this afternoon!!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            I saw a giant ray in the shallows at the sandbar this afternoon!!
                            Awsome! Do you know if it was a manta ray and how big do you think it was?

Comment

Not sure if it was a manta, but it was dark colored and about 4 feet wide. So cool, it glided past us while we were wading around, then turned back and gave us another glide-by!!
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                              X