The Andromeda Strain on A&E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Andromeda Strain on A&E

Aaargh! Started watching, now I'm hooked!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Just finished watching the entire 4 hour movie. I have already seen part 1 three times already, wouldn't mind another watch on part 2.

Comment

Alright, I'm confused. What was that nicotine-gum-chewing baddie's agenda?

The Project Scoop satellite was designed to collect biosamples, and it was hanging around a wormhole. Obviously, someone was expecting Andromeda. Who? Why? How did they know? Who sent it? Where is Andromeda from? Why were they saving a sample? What was the signifigance of the logo? I thought I caught the whole thing, but four hours -- did I miss something?

It seems there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Is this miniseries the lead-in to a new TV series? Is there going to be another miniseries?

Anyone?

Comment

There could have been an eariler wormhole that may have sent information telling the present time about sending a sample through the next wormhole.

I don't know about a TV series but having a sequel miniseries might be in order. For instance they could have told us about the Houston incident that lead to the creation of Wildfire (of course that would be a prequel).

The electronic technology shown in this miniseries seemed kind of slightly ahead of it's time, like those e-papers shown in part 1. The comm badges could be done today.

The Wildfire lab on the other hand seemed to be fully automatted on the lower three levels, only the 5 scientists were shown to be wandering around the place.

Comment

The DVD for this mini-series will be on sale June 3, 2008.

Comment

recently watched the first movie based on crichton's book and liked it tho i must say that all of the books i've read of his all suffer from the same weakness: the ending is weak! it's as tho someone said, okay you've got 5 pages to wrap this up and he does so with 3 pages to spare!

the ending of movie where they talk about "washing" everything to the ocean was so obviously simplistic!

anyway, everything up to the ending in the classic 1971 version was very good...
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                recently watched the first movie based on crichton's book and liked it
                Okay but have you made any attempt to watch the 2008 version of The Andromeda Strain?

Comment

I watched the first part and didn't like the voice-controlled computer and the way the characters seemed too melodramatic and contrived. And the set didn't look believable at all. The set designers seemed to have tried too hard for a techie look.

I was expecting something more like "Outbreak".

The characters in the original version of Andromeda Strain were a lot more human and the whole thing seemed a lot more believable.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                    recently watched the first movie based on crichton's book and liked it tho i must say that all of the books i've read of his all suffer from the same weakness: the ending is weak! it's as tho someone said, okay you've got 5 pages to wrap this up and he does so with 3 pages to spare!

the ending of movie where they talk about "washing" everything to the ocean was so obviously simplistic!

anyway, everything up to the ending in the classic 1971 version was very good...
                    I agree. Crichton is one of my favorite authors, but I've always thought many of his best books had some of the weakest endings. Andromeda Strain is a perfect example.

I liked A&E's remake far more than I thought I would. Yeah, it was a lot more "Hollywood", but I really liked the way they made Andromeda more interesting. In the book and original movie, Andromeda turned out to be a unsatisfyingly uninteresting bug. In A&E's movie, it was formidable and vicious -- a far more interesting and satisfying enemy.

I just wished they didn't try to be so mysterious and leave the story unfinished. That's starting to get a little trite nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      Okay but have you made any attempt to watch the 2008 version of The Andromeda Strain?
                      no, mainly because it's something like 4 hours total so i decided to wait to hear what you guys think of it. i'm in no big rush so i'll wait till it comes out on dvd or maybe a re-run on tv.

composite, can you imagine? i watched the 1971 version a few days ago so that makes the movie over 30 years old (!) and yet i thought it was a good movie. sure, the special effects are almost laughable but the story and the characters are what made it work....

zff, they leave the story unfinished?!?!? those swine!!! they have should a final screen which reads something like, "if you like this enough, we'll be able to make a sequel or maybe a pre-quel! please write to your congressmen on our behalf!"
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

As a suggestion to trim down the 4 hour viewing time is to tape the next showing and when replaying it you can fast forward thru the commericals or pause it to watch it at a later time.
                        Last edited by helen; June 1, 2008, 11:45 PM.

Comment

If anyone is interested in watching the original Andromeda Strain, tune in to Encore Mystery - Oceanic Ch. 669 on the following dates. For those who plan to record it, the run time is 2 hours 15 minutes. Thu 6/5 9:50 AM Wed 6/11 9:15 AM Thu 6/12 2:00 AM

Comment

Is that a subscription channel? If so, how much? I always wondered about those channels (Mystery, Drama, Western, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              Is that a subscription channel? If so, how much? I always wondered about those channels (Mystery, Drama, Western, etc.).
                              Sorry, didn't think about that. Yes, it is a subscription channel. Don't know much about the Encore family of channels. Don't watch much of their programming.

Comment

Picked up my copy of the DVD at Barnes and Nobles which is selling it for $27 while Wal-Mart is selling it for around $20. It's a 2 DVD set, the runtime says under 3 hours for the actual movie while the extra disc has another 4 hours or so of bonus material.

Comment

Working...
                                X