• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new beginning

hello my name is david i live in a city called ripon in california
    i want to do a big move

by boss heard word that they are in need of painters in kauai
    and thats where we want to go

i have lots of things i still need to figure out though because even if they arent in much need of painting i still want to come

i am in search of a place that exchanges work for housing?

if not good housing such as shared rooms something like that for roughly $400 a month
    i heard about the sewage spills and that stuff
    so maybe a place not so nearby their

a place that is hopefully doesnt have many hills up and down nearby well far off but i plan on biking but anything will do

also am in search of a martial arts in kauai
    such as chinese martial arts?

kung fu
    chi kung
    tai chi
    ba gua
    maybe some akaido
    or jui jitsu if last resort

maybe some information on zen, buddhism, any type of churched out their want to see if i can find a master out their

some information regarding internal energy healers
    reiki would be second choice

also plan on shipping some bikes in pieces that i could send out their
    their all very light bmx racing bikes such as under 10lbs each about 3 of them wondering on how much of a cost that would be?

also maybe a place i could set up a tent and that is inexpensive was checking out the jungle tents wouldnt sound too bad getting one of those on a nice place to stay

well these are my basic questions hope not to hassle anybody just in need take your time though because i got til august for the move as me and my boss still have some jobs lined up and got to gather some funds and the whole deal well thanks for listening
    hopefully you can answer just one of my questions and that would be great thanks again

David Barba

Re: a new beginning

A new beginning...

Beautiful Kauai.

$400.00 a month.

Finding masta of martial arts.

Peace and Tranquility....

Mike Lowery wea you stay?

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi and welcome, David!

When I moved here to Oahu, I brought my 10 ton beach cruiser in pieces in a box, then reassembled it at my new home. I haven't ridden it yet. The hill that my street is on is so steep, I would certainly crash on the way down it, and would have to walk it going back uphill!

Lucky for me I have a giant beater station wagon, so one of these days, I'm gonna stuff my bike in the back and drive it down to the beach!

Regardless, I'd say bring your bike
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Welcome, David.

Originally posted by theconstantlearner View Post
        No shortage of martial arts in Hawaii. The sifu's here seem rather open with their teachings. Cheaper than on the mainland, but good quality.

That's just the general sense I get. Haven't done martial arts in ages. No specific recommendations for you, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough.

You might want to search for martial arts threads, or start a new topic specifically for martial arts recommendations on Kauai, if you don't get much feedback on this thread.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Hi David...the sewage spill was on Oahu, not Kauai. However, the Kaloko Dam breached on Kauai during the same storm as the sewage spill on Oahu.

As far as shipping your bike is concerned, you might want to contact various shippers near your home for estimates.

There is a lot of moving info archived in HawaiiThreads that might help you. Good luck.

Comment

Aloha David!

Craigslist Kauai has lots of housing options. Under the 'rooms/shared' heading there is a room for $400 listed today. http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/

Comment

Welcome, David!

If you're coming to Hawaii on a wing and a prayer, you have you work cut out for you... and choosing Kauai over Oahu will certainly limit your job options. I gather there's a fair amount of work in construction and for painters, but I wasn't aware of a shortage or anything. Pacific Business News just published an article about how the construction industry is sagging due to the economy, with lots of major projects postponed and carpenters laid off.

Want to work in exchange for housing? I'm pretty sure such options might exist at "ecofarms" and other such enterprises, though I'm mostly aware of these as affordable travel/visitor options and not long-term stays.

I'm also not familiar with rents on Kauai, but presumably if you can get a room in a house for $600 on Oahu there could be something in the $400 range on the Garden Island. Not many, though. And rent will be the least of your worries, given the already high cost of living in Hawaii is higher on Kauai than it is in urban Honolulu.

Sure you could bring and sleep in a tent... but you'll need a permit. They're not legal options as long-term residences (which would, in effect, make you part of the homeless population... something we don't exactly need more of).

Sewage spills? I'm guessing you mean the Ala Wai in Waikiki, again on Oahu, not Kauai.

No hills? Well, Hawaii is a mountainous state, so that might be a challenge. Though I guess Kauai is largely flat around the rim!

There are definitely reiki practitioners all over, and other "alternative" types. I'd go out on a limb to say you'd find much more in that realm on the Big Island versus Kauai, but again, that's because I'm more familiar with those hippies.

My one-sentence standard advice? Save up $8,000-$10,000, give yourself two months or so, buy a round-trip ticket, and have a job and place to stay before you get on that plane.

Comment

aloha and welcome to ht.

"There are definitely reiki practitioners all over, and other "alternative" types. I'd go out on a limb to say you'd find much more in that realm on the Big Island versus Kauai, but again, that's because I'm more familiar with those hippies."

ditto.

you'd do well in regards to rent on the big island (craig?). lots of spirituality there and different options for living quarters--yurts have been mentioned on another website and someone is condsidering tipis.

as far as a job there?

and, martial arts?

good luck!
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

first of all thank everyone you answer so quick and never hesitate to tell me how things are straight forward
                  im glad to say i have found one place that i could possibly work and stay but im still open to anything kauai is my main destination that i want to head out to
                  but other parts are still on the list of possibilities i guess i want to get away from the city feel and get more in tune
                  with my surroundings
                  what was here before me and you were here
                  and before we layed down pavement and tore down trees
                  the natural
                  if anyone knows any healers in hawaii
                  if you can ask them whether we can work something out so i can stay and work for them and at the same time learn from them and pay them somewhat alright amount of money considering when i do this i will probably only have $2000 at hand
                  after i bought the ticket and shipped my bikes
                  after that i will be going just with whatever comes my way
                  but its always better to have a place with more opportunities because i am young and i can take advantage of things i guess
                  i am in that time in my life when
                  their are no limits
                  its time to make something of myself in any which way nothing holding me back
                  my family are already prepared for me to vanish i have told them once before and didn't think i was serious
                  a loved one i just started to talk 2 again i will miss much
                  friends and cousins they have always known i would go sometime in my life could tell early on
                  only thing left last step so hopefully everyone here can give me the information love and support to jump in the river and hope its not too cold
                  and start swimming

Comment

i am young and i can take advantage of things i guess
                    i am in that time in my life when
                    their are no limits
                    its time to make something of myself in any which way nothing holding me back
                    Being young is the best time to take risks. You have few obligations (spouse, children, mortgage, elderly parents). You can live a low cost lifestyle. You have good health. You recover from setbacks (physical and emotional) better. Society cuts you more slack. If you have a supportive family as a safety net, even better.

After considering what the experienced folks here have to say, if you decide to set sail for Hawaii, then bless you and the best of luck. May you stumble upon your path in life and be lucky enough to realize it.
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Awww, JEEZ!!!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

such as chinese martial arts?

kung fu
                        chi kung
                        tai chi
                        ba gua
                        maybe some akaido
                        or jui jitsu if last resort
                        You mention 2 Japanese martial arts on the bottom, so I take it you're open to those as well. As luck would have it, there is a kendo dojo on the island of Kauai

Comment

You might like the Hilo area.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I’ve been on Kauai for almost a year now and during that time things have definitely changed, mostly due to the economy. Lot’s of people do “under the table” work in construction but that is definitely slowing down with the economy. Lot’s of rentals and the prices of rents have gone down. My cost of living is much less than it was in San Francisco, (but you can’t compare the rest of the US to SF when it comes to cost of living). There is a large active “new age” community here so if you’re in to that Kauai is the place to live. From what I hear from my Sister who lives on Hawaii Island there is a large New Age community there too. I absolutely love living here but I have seen people come and go during the last year. Kauai is not for everyone the Island will embrace you or not. I kind of knew what I was getting into when I moved here because I lived on another Island for nine years so the culture shock of living in a limited space was not a surprise. Just make sure you have a return ticket in case things get tough ~ as I said Kauai is not for everyone. But if you are fortunate enough to find your niche here it is truly paradise and I can not imagine living any where else.
                            "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Working...
                            X