Shipping a motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a motorcycle

Does anyone here in HT Land know what it costs to ship a motorcycle -- a heavy Harley -- to the Mainland? The Bay Area? (Roughly) Anyone done this? They go by size or weight?
    Last edited by buzz1941; May 31, 2008, 12:55 AM.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Shipping a motorcycle

Guess not too many have this first hand knowledge. I couldn't find anything specific to motorcycles on Matson's site but they want $1055 to ship a car so I can only surmise it should be less than that. Pasha Hawaii doesn't provide a price list, you need to inquire for a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      they want $1055 to ship a car so I can only surmise it should be less than that.
      $1055?! Sheesh. Does that come with jet fuel?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Maybe you could make a crate for it, and ship it with a freight consolidator? Matson won't do that but other companies don't mind shipping crates.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          Does anyone here in HT Land know what it costs to ship a motorcycle . . . (Roughly)
          Wouldn't you prefer to have it shipped "gently" instead?

Comment

Domenico's in Kaneohe was (the last I heard) willing to give away[!] the empty Harley crates whenever they receive a shipment of new bikes. Whatever method you end up shipping it with, I'd recommend you check that out! The things have a metal base (with appropriate forklift pukas) and a cardboard box that fits over the bike. A few tie-down straps and your bike is SECURE.

As for actual shipping cost, I have no idea.

Comment

I've been looking into this myself. Check out www.shipmybike.com for a quote. You can call them and they'll give you a quote on the phone usually in minutes. You could also stop by a UPS store if you guys have those in Honolulu.

I've found it can be quite expensive. I was told it could be around $1000 to ship a 300lb bike from Los Angeles to Honolulu, maybe a little less if you crated it yourself.

Let me know what sort of rates you find!
              The visible universe is a sphere with a diameter of about 92 billion light-years.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
              - Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
              X