Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Just Moved to Hawaii" blues

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    If I'm going to be stressed out by work, family, day to day living, whatever, I can't think of a more beautiful place to stress in!
    Sue, if we could completely eliminate these stresses from our lives, ANYWHERE we live could be paradise!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Sue, if we could completely eliminate these stresses from our lives, ANYWHERE we live could be paradise!
      So true!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        This is precisely what many of us here on HT try to reinforce when a new subscriber posts his/her desire to move to Hawaii. It just isn't 24/7/365 vacation bliss...altho', If I'm going to be stressed out by work, family, day to day living, whatever, I can't think of a more beautiful place to stress in!
        (but they never listen to us do they? they just keep coming.............)
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just wait til you go 'back home' for the first time....you'll think that you don't belong ANYWHERE!

PS They have ketchup in France nowadays.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            I just don't get it. People who get to live in Hawaii should be thankful. Why all the "homesick blues"? For Christ-sake folks you're in paradise. Wake up and smell the Plumerias!!! Look all around you, there are clear blue skies almost daily. Did you have that in the last state you lived in? Did you have this fresh air to breathe where you use to live?

I imagine most of you might feel homesick from loss of contact with relatives that you'd normally have if you still lived on the mainland. That's to be understood. But you're living in one of the healthiest states in the union. I think on Hawaii is numero uno for life expectancy. Why? I'm assuming it's because we have pretty good weather year round.

Currently I reside in Puna, but I commute weekly to work my trade down in Waikiki. So I go from one spectrum to the other with regard to lifestyles in Hawaii. In Puna it's profoundly rural in nature. Hardly any infrastructure there. No street lights, no trash pickup,roads aren't paved etc.,etc. With Waikiki we have the opposite, bright lights ,paved roads, lots of noise pollution, people everywhere. Personally, I have taken to Puna,big time!!! My family and I love the place.
            But one thing I've noticed in Puna with the new residents, moving here. They are having a hard time excepting the fact that vacationing here, and living here are two completely different animals. But they don't realize that until after the fact! I'm almost sure this same situation can be applied to new residents to Oahu too.
            Hi Beachboy! So glad to see that you're doing well---healthy and happy! You know you had me worried a while back....
            As far as the "Just Moved to Hawaii Blues" song goes? If you were meant to be here you will stay here. If not, you'll move on. Sometimes the only way to tell whether this place is right for you is to come here and see for yourself.
            Hence, the Hawaii revolving door (AKA Honolulu International Airport).
            IMHO many of the folks who move here romanticize Hawaii beyond all comprehension. They get whacked in the face with the cold wet rag of reality and boom----out the door with a dashboard hula bobble-head doll and a bag of Kona coffee.
            I think I'm staying, LOL. I would LOVE to have not only my little house in Kailua but a studio apartment in Manhattan (pre-war, working fireplace) and a condo in Northern California (oh my how those prices have DROPPED!!!) but since I can only afford one at the moment I think I'll stick with the little house in Kailua. Every time I go to NY or CA I buy lottery tickets.

Comment

your thread inspired me to write a thread, though in not as great detail as yours here.

I hope you are feeling a little more settled and everything, turtlegirl.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                That's funny to read - one mainland transplant responding to another mainland transplant in this fashion.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
                Please note: that comment was not meant as judgement or condemnation of either of you, in any fashion. You've both been in Hawai`i a long time and have gotten involved in your community enough to be unquestionably classified as "locals."

(And you're cool enough to see the inherent humor in the comment ... okay, you probably MEANT it with said humor attached ... but in case no one else picked up on it, I guess I had to ruin the joke. )

Comment

Re: The &quot;Just Moved to Hawaii&quot; blues

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  Not that anyone is saying this, but i do not think this is indicative of only Hawaii. Anywhere you move to (even though you've been there several times) may make you feel out of place and unsure when you are there a bit. Whether you move from North to South, East to West, you may find the same apprehension and uncertainty that you'd find if you moved to Hawaii.

I have often said I could NEVER live on the East coast. I am a West Coast guy all the way. Hawaii is in my definition "the west". Midwest, East coast, the South are different in so many ways.
                  n'importe

Comment

Re: The &quot;Just Moved to Hawaii&quot; blues

Welcome To Hawaii
                    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Working...
                    X