Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 405

Thread: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Seems to me that given the fact that HRC had huge support in the Hispanic community, Richardson is the natural choice as VP for BHO. I'd be satisfied with that.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  2. #52

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    New potential VP name floating about: Claire McCaskill

    Eh, I'd rather have her than Hillary, but I believe Kathleen Sebelius is better than both of them.

  3. #53

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    New potential VP name floating about: Claire McCaskill

    Eh, I'd rather have her than Hillary, but I believe Kathleen Sebelius is better than both of them.
    Problem with Kathleen Sebelius is,... even with her popularity in Kansas, she's not likely to put her home state into play for Obama. Kansas has historically been a red state. In the last 68 years, they have only voted for the Democratic candidate for President ONCE, that being in 1964.

    Missouri Senator McCaskill, OTOH, comes from a swing state.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Thumbs up Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Switching gears to the Republican side, lone holdout Ron Paul, the last Republican candidate still in the race against John McCain finally suspended his campaign today. However, not only did he not endorse John McCain, he re-iterated his promise to hold a separate convention in the same city as the Republican National Convention on the same day. In his campaign closing speech in Texas, he announced the “second phase” of the Ron Paul Revolution: funding the campaigns of Paul-philosophy candidates nationwide in any party using the $4.7 million remaining in his campaign warchest.

    Get ready for an interesting election here in Hawai‘i! If you note the latest candidate declaration sheet, many of Ron Paul’s Hawai‘i campaign staff who attended the controversial Hawai‘i GOP Convention this year, are running for office! With Paul’s financial backing, some veteran incumbents in the legislature may get a run for their money!

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    This just in from an AOL newsite poll.

    Who will you vote for in November?
    John McCain 54%
    Barack Obama 37%
    Other or undecided 6%
    I'm not going to vote 3%

    And yet, the lib media wants you to believe that Obama has a slim lead. Spin Spin Spin
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Last edited by sinjin; June 17th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Experience will be the deciding factor. imho.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    Experience will be the deciding factor. imho.
    Let's hope so:

    Here's McCain's past in a nutshell:

    Grew up in a prominent rightwing Navy family and was indoctrinated in naval dominance of the globe.

    Went to Annapolis and ranked at the very bottom of his class because he resented authority.

    Went to Vietnam and crashed several planes.

    Spent 6 years as a POW and "broke" under torture.

    Came home and dumped the wife who raised his children while he was away and nursed him back to health on his return.

    Married a much younger woman who was heir to a mobbed-up Budweiser fortune.

    Worked in his in-laws' business traveling across Arizona building a base for his political career.

    Used his in-laws' money to get elected to the House as an anti-abortion, "pro-family" candidate.

    Worked his way up from the House to the Senate by being a loyal right-wing Republican.

    As a Senator, got caught helping Charles Keating deregulate S&L's, which cost taxpayers $200 billion, and was censured by the Senate.
    Promised never to do favors for lobbyists again.

    Ran for President in 2000 as a reformer and won New Hampshire.

    Got crushed in South Carolina after he called Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell "agents of intolerance" and they fired back with a pro-Bush smear campaign that McCain had an "illegitimate black child" - actually a dark-skinned child (Bridget) adopted from impoverished Bangladesh. Nevertheless, McCain enthusiastically supported Bush both in 2000 and 2004.

    In 2001, he opposed Bush's $1.35 trillion tax giveaway to the rich, but changed his position during the 2007 campaign.

    In 2001, he was so opposed to Bush's far-right policies that he considered becoming a Democrat, but ultimately stayed a Republican and supported Bush's far-right policies.

    In 2002, he was a leading advocate for the invasion of Iraq, spent far more time on TV than any other Senator, and wrongly predicted "victory" and "success" every step of the way.

    In 2004, he betrayed his friend John Kerry by refusing to defend him against Swift Boat smears.

    In 2007, when a supporter asked "How do we beat the bitch," referring to Sen. Hillary Clinton, McCain laughed and called it an "excellent question."

    In 2007, with the U.S. on the brink of attacking Iran, McCain joked by singing "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran."

    In 2008, when caught doing favors for lobbyist Vicki Iseman and her corporate clients, lied about his actions.
    http://www.democrats.com/mccains-experience
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,228

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euu_DMhsXQo

    Don't click if you don't like bad words.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Lightbulb Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    There are some women, feminists in fact, who would argue that “cunt” is not a bad word.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  11. #61

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Yet another flip-flop from McCain. In his presidential run in 2000, GOP "maverick" McCain broke ranks with much of his party in opposing any rollback of the moratorium placed on domestic offshore oil drilling. Today, he now supports lifting the moratorium, leaving it to each coastal state to decide.

    So much for being the "environmental" candidate. I guess McCain is hoping that support for this proposal will win him support from among those who think that more domestic drilling will ease gas prices. But it's a double-edged sword for him. Offshore drilling rigs are like prisons. People may like their benefits,.... but not if it is placed in their own backyard. To be sure, this proposal all but sinks any chance McCain had of winning in California (which was a long shot to begin with). But what the GOP needs to be worried about is the impact this will have in Florida, which will be a key battleground state. Even with Gov. Charlie Crist's support, I can imagine a lot of Floridians will be up in arms about this and it could very well be the single issue which will decide the vote in the Sunshine State.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  12. #62

    Default And let's not forget...

    ...that he, of all people, now supports torture.

    Wadda guy.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...139x1200183577

    The PC, liberal media just continues to hammer away at Obama in true Democrat suicidal fashion. Self inflicted wounds are the basic reason why Dems have held the White House a mere 12 years in the last 40 sumfin.

    Political Correctness hurts those who invented it. Too dang funny.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Lightbulb Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...139x1200183577

    The PC, liberal media just continues to hammer away at Obama in true Democrat suicidal fashion.
    First of all, if you ask any media whether it be MSNBC or Fox News, they will tell you they are trying to be as politically correct as possible. This is just good form, because in straight news reporting, it eliminates the distractions that politically incorrectness bring by coloring and tarring their content in the eyes of the readers, viewers and listeners.

    Secondly, it is not the job of the media to take the side of any candidate, sports team, corporate entity, or any other issue subject for debate. If Obama or his campaign do something good, they report it. If they do something bad, they report it.

    In this particular situation, these women who felt “slighted” by the Obama campaign, likely approached a journalist with their story. Any reporter is looking for a story, and wouldn’t turn one down unless it was untrue. Therefore, the media is simply doing its job by reporting this incident. The important thing is, they got both sides of the dispute. Fair and balanced.

    I might add, that the last two stories in which you included a link were both from “AOL News.” Whether or not you think its a good source, you are also guilty of coloring your views by relying on a single source, instead of the diversity that exists throughout the media spectrum, providing important checks, balances, and viewpoints to make you a more informed consumer of news.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  15. #65

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    First of all, if you ask any media whether it be MSNBC or Fox News, they will tell you they are trying to be as politically correct as possible. This is just good form, because in straight news reporting, it eliminates the distractions that politically incorrectness bring by coloring and tarring their content in the eyes of the readers, viewers and listeners.

    Secondly, it is not the job of the media to take the side of any candidate, sports team, corporate entity, or any other issue subject for debate. If Obama or his campaign do something good, they report it. If they do something bad, they report it.
    What you say sounds idealistic. But what is the reality?

    I'm not against the idea of radio/TV commentary shows, whether they lean to the left (Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann) or the right (Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly). But what really gets under my skin are the programs and segments that try to pass themselves off as being balanced and bi-partisan, but aren't. FOX news' so-called "All-Star Panel" (Fred Barnes, Charles Krauthammer, Mort Kondrake) are all so unbelieveably biased against Obama, it's laughable. But there are people out there who are gullible and think that all their right-wing propaganda is equivalent to fair coverage and commentary on the events of the day.

    At least on CNN (Situation Room, Anderson Cooper 360) and MSNBC (Verdict w/ Dan Abrams, Hardball), a serious effort is made to bring in Republican and Democratic voices to the debates and discussion.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Post Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    First of all, if you ask any media whether it be MSNBC or Fox News, they will tell you they are trying to be as politically correct as possible. This is just good form, because in straight news reporting, it eliminates the distractions that politically incorrectness bring by coloring and tarring their content in the eyes of the readers, viewers and listeners.

    Secondly, it is not the job of the media to take the side of any candidate, sports team, corporate entity, or any other issue subject for debate. If Obama or his campaign do something good, they report it. If they do something bad, they report it.
    What you say sounds idealistic. But what is the reality?

    I'm not against the idea of radio/TV commentary shows, whether they lean to the left (Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann) or the right (Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly). But what really gets under my skin are the programs and segments that try to pass themselves off as being balanced and bi-partisan, but aren't. FOX news' so-called "All-Star Panel" (Fred Barnes, Charles Krauthammer, Mort Kondrake) are all so unbelieveably biased against Obama, it's laughable. But there are people out there who are gullible and think that all their right-wing propaganda is equivalent to fair coverage and commentary on the events of the day.

    At least on CNN (Situation Room, Anderson Cooper 360) and MSNBC (Verdict w/ Dan Abrams, Hardball), a serious effort is made to bring in Republican and Democratic voices to the debates and discussion.
    First of all, nothing you have cited qualifies in my definition of straight news. All of these are either commentary, debates, or panel discussions. Straight news means a reporter went out into the field, interviewed both (or multiple) sides of a story, edited into a 2-minute package, and aired it. It also means an anchor reading factual copy (voiceover) while video from the scene and interviews run on the screen. Either way, there is no opinion, debate or discussion. Just the facts.

    This is generally what you see on programs like the CBS Evening News, KITV4 Island Television News at 6pm, or CNN Headline News, for example. Occasionally (such as Election season), they may include the elements you have cited. But generally, they stick to straight news.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  17. #67

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Guess it all depends on your perspective.

  18. #68

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    First of all, nothing you have cited qualifies in my definition of straight news. All of these are either commentary, debates, or panel discussions. Straight news means a reporter went out into the field, interviewed both (or multiple) sides of a story, edited into a 2-minute package, and aired it. It also means an anchor reading factual copy (voiceover) while video from the scene and interviews run on the screen. Either way, there is no opinion, debate or discussion. Just the facts.
    Me thinks you need to more carefully examine what you consider to be "straight newscasts."

    It doesn't matter whether it's a local or national. Virtually every newscast gives you opinion, analysis, and speculation along with the facts in almost every story covered. Do you need to have the station/network in question to flash the graphic "educated speculation" every time a reporter says something that is likely to happen in the future but has not, in fact, yet happened. Do you need to have the reporter qualify every statement that is made?

    What self-respecting sportscaster would only report "the facts" after a big game? That would mean only telling viewers the score, statistics, and the box score. Almost every major sports story contains reporter's observations on the strategy and tactics they think led to the final score. But as educated as those observations may be, it is not strictly factual.

    Even the choice of what stories a network chooses to cover and NOT cover could be a reflection of that particular news outlet's biases and editorial stance.

    Straight news? Just the facts? Sez you.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Lightbulb Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Me thinks you need to more carefully examine what you consider to be "straight newscasts."
    So what would you consider straight news? My definition is fairly close to the textbook definition. You haven’t given one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Virtually every newscast gives you opinion, analysis, and speculation along with the facts in almost every story covered.
    I would strongly disagree with this. I would say this observation describes the exception to the rule. Virtually every newscast? Not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Do you need to have the reporter qualify every statement that is made?
    Yes. And they do. Usually they start or finish by saying “authorities say, according to experts, sources confirm, etc...”

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    What self-respecting sportscaster ...
    Hey, we’re talking about news, here. Ever notice when Liz reports a serious story about the UH basketball coach being hospitalized, etc. she signs off “Liz Chun, KGMB9 News” as opposed to her usual “KGMB9 Sports”? Do you also recognize that this story appears in the news block, and not the sports block? Let’s critique the appropriate section of the show, as I’m sure we can agree they are clearly divided.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Even the choice of what stories a network chooses to cover and NOT cover could be a reflection of that particular news outlet's biases and editorial stance.
    I’ll give you this one. This is a fair criticism. But also in fairness, let’s not forget that these stations may simply choose not to cover something in the interest of time, lack of resources, personnel, on the advice of ratings consultants, etc.

    We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

    — U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

  20. #70

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Even the choice of what stories a network chooses to cover and NOT cover could be a reflection of that particular news outlet's biases and editorial stance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    I’ll give you this one. This is a fair criticism. But also in fairness, let’s not forget that these stations may simply choose not to cover something in the interest of time, lack of resources, personnel, on the advice of ratings consultants, etc.
    Your statement is very true. And also, an unnecessary one. Guess my qualifier (the word could) slipped under your radar.

    Shows to me that you've got a ways to go before you can act like a media watchdog.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 22nd, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2...%2F&frame=true

    This story makes me exactly as angry as anything OHA, Kau Inoa, or Kam Schools does concerning race.

    Dang, I hate racism. Humans are humans. Your egomania is no longer amusing. Get over it.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  22. #72

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    Dang, I hate racism. Humans are humans. Your egomania is no longer amusing. Get over it.
    Shameful indeed. Besides, simply calling Sen. Obama "black" ignores his mother's side of the equation. Just shows the increasing irrelevance of judgement by labels.

  23. #73

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    But the Republicans HAVE to play to peoples' lowest, most base, evil emotions. You can't talk to their intellects--what, you're going to tell them you want to re-install the economic system that caused the last Great Depression? You can't talk to any sense of actual Christian or Moslem or Jewish or Bhuddist mercy or kindness that they may have picked up in their lives--how could that possibly sell wars of aggression to steal other peoples' property? No, you appeal to their short sighted greed, to their fear, to their hatred. That way, the puppet masters on top can continue looting the country. In 2004 they told the simple people of Ohio that Kerry would take away their Bibles, and they bought it. Historically, Americans cannot think their way out of problems, they muddle into disasters because they are deliberately misled by various interests, and occasionally they are lucky enough to stumble into a good leader who actually improves things. Would the country be better off if the Great Communicator (think about what that name actually means) had kept the unpopular Jimmy Carter's program of energy independence? Obviously. But the puppet masters wanted to sell their oil and the rest is history.

  24. #74

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
    But the Republicans HAVE to ...
    The flaw in this argument is to assign such behavior to all Republicans. There are members of the GOP who repudiate such base political tactics.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

    It would be fair to say that racism exists on all sides of the coin.

    You got the conservatives and their old school racism, ignorant bigotry.
    You got the liberals and their new school racism, aff. action.
    You got ethnocentric egomania here in Hawaii, Kam Schools etc.

    It's everywhere you look. And it bugs me to no end. Give Obama his fair shake regardless of color, and McCain his fair shake regardless of age.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •