No announcement yet.

Advice about the leeward side of Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about the leeward side of Oahu?

Aloha! We are looking to move to Oahu in November and still not sure were to move. We were thinking about the leeward side and I like it from what ive seen, but we are taking a one month trip before we decide what area. The only thing is I keep getting negative feedback on how that area is bad news I won't make a decision untill ive been there for a month at least though. Then I need to come back here and get everyhing ready for the move in march. I was now just wondering if I could get some input as t were to look first. We are looking to spend up to $1200 for rent but preferably a lil less. We are leaning towards an ohana or studio, we dont need anything big. I would love to be close to the ocean and we like it warm. I would like to try surfing, is pretty good at water sports. Ive been skiing since childhood with no problem learning that. My son loves the water and we love to grill out. We would like to be close to town for jobs, we are planning on getting bus passes and selling our cars. Any advice or input is greatly approtiatd! Mahalo!!

Re: looking for some input

sorry if any words are misspelt, I'm typing from an I-phone and it changes words at times to wrong words LOL

Comment

Re: looking for some input

why the leeward area? don't know of many ohana units out that way? you might like it "warm" but it is HOT out there. and, it's not close to town. what about schooling for your child? have you tried going through a rental agency? a real estate firm? craigslist? the local newspapers?
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Re: Advice about the leeward side of Oahu?

just to give you an idea about rents here: I recently checked out a Studio that was renting for $850 a month incl. water & electric. The apartment was quoted as being 260 square feet and that INCLUDED the enclosed lanai!!! and this was in town. and it didn't even have a stove or a bathtub.

The leeward coast is not very friendly to newcomers at times. It is indeed very hot (because developers cut down all the trees & greenery) and the commute into town is very long. Also, if there is an accident - there is only one road in & out.

You may want to look back over the other threads here about moving to Hawaii (especially the recent one started by Turtle Girl - sorry, i don't know how to do the link to another thread) and also, revise your budget for housing.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

geez louise! we rent out our unit for $1100/mth (will be going up due to heco's and the board of water supply's increases) and that's for one person. utilities included, 1b/1b/2parking with washer and dryer. private side yard. small indoor pet ok. app. 600sqft but looks way bigger because it has open beam/vaulted ceilings.

i grew up in 'ewa beach when it was all sugar cane fields and still own a home in kapolei. the kapolei hale is much cooler because it is on a corner and gets the breeze.

i agree with anapuni, i'd rethink your housing budget.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I think our rent budget is fine, like I said we aren't looking for anything big, right now we are living in a room and kitchen one bath house. The room is our bedroom and living room in one and the kitchen is small. Its perfect cuz we are gone slot and outside normally. We all sleep together in a full sized bed and were doing fine so when we move jam not looking to rent anything bigger than this. I also looked on craigslist plenty of time and found places that fit our budget. If we need to go up in price if we find a certain area we love then so be it. In more right now just trying to find the area we will move to and then check outhow much rent is there I would like to be close to work and a college since I want to take a few classes. Does anyone have any suggestions on were that would be?

Comment

For college, that would be Leeward Community College and West Oahu College both are part of the University of Hawaii system.

Comment

Do you know what area of the island you'll be working?

Comment

I would consider the "Leeward side" as anything from about Pearl City - west... not just the Leeward coast. Pearl City might be good, close to Leeward Community College, not as far west (less traffic) than Ewa Beach, or anything else farther, also probably not as hot ... not really close to the beach, though

It's where I grew up and went to school : )

just my 2 cents
                  I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

I live in Waikele, 2bed/2ba/2park for 1400. I love it here. It's less than 30 minutes to almost anywhere I need to go (Town, West Coast beaches, Barber's Point, North Shore). It has all the amenities we need (Costco, 3 Wal-Marts, roller hockey rink in Mililani) and it's close to the airport to pick up visiting relatives. It doesn't rain as much here, which is can be a good or bad thing. Our only concern is when our child gets to middle school (not too keen about Waipahu Intermediate). Keep in mind though, I work on the Leeward side ("commute" is about 5 mins), so I don't have to deal with the whole traffic thing. If you like it a bit cooler, Mililani Mauka (is that still considered Leeward O'ahu?) is cooler, or even Makakilo (again, Leeward?). We lived in Waipio Gentry for a while, liked that as well. If you are just moving here, I'd stay away from Waipahu (Waikele and Waipio are not Waipahu). Ewa Beach is closer to the beaches, but the wife doesn't like it there, too close to the water, in case of tsunamis.

Comment

Working...
                    X