The "locals who can't swim" sign-in thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "locals who can't swim" sign-in thread

Born and raised in Hawaii, but can't swim for beans. Damn proud of it too. I never liked cleaning up the sand from my hair and car.

X Mike_Lowery
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: The "locals who can't swim" sign-in thread

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Born and raised in Hawaii, but can't swim for beans. Damn proud of it too. I never liked cleaning up the sand from my hair and car.[...]
    Well...so much for you and I getting married, Mike!
    I've spent so much of my life swimming in the ocean then rolling in the hot sand, loving every grain! When I was a kid my mom made me rinse off the sand, including half the beach that was in my hair, with a hose in the garden. Brrr!

And my car? During the 90s I worked with a high profile celebrity who had not only an affinity for a certain make of car, but also owned 12 (I think) of 'em. I happened to have one...only one!...at the time. When I showed up at location his limo arrived at the same time and parked right next to me. He got out, and with a cheshire grin, asked if he could take a look. My car was the last year of a certain model and he knew that! How, I don't know, as they tended to all look alike to me! Anyway, in the back jump seat I had my beach chair, towel, fins and boogey board! The front drivers side floor had a layer of sand. It was old and was my beachmobile! His remark..."I see you're not a purist."!!! He ribbed me for the rest of that project, all in jest of course.

I won't sign in 'cuz I can swim...at least I used to be able to!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      ~~~~~~~~~
      I won't sign in 'cuz I can swim...
      I won't sign in 'cuz, though I can't swim, I'm not "local." Guess you and I won't be marrying either, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I won't sign in 'cuz, though I can't swim, I'm not "local." Guess you and I won't be marrying either, Mike.
        hahahaha...bummers. rejected twice in one day!

but since I didn't specify to where I mean local, you're local to wherever you originate.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

born and raised, but can't swim well. i can FLOAT and do the back stroke (i guess this method could save my life?), does this count?
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I can swim okay, but I don't really like to. I get winded after like 20 strokes, and there's nowhere to rest if in deep water. Float? Can't. For some reason, my legs sink and it pulls me down till just my eyes are sticking out of the water .

Funny, though, when I go scuba diving, my tank sinks (yeah, the big aluminum thingy on my back) and my feet go up. So all my friends laugh at me, because I look like a dead cockroach.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Turtlegirl try this...when you float on your back put your hands down just below and close to your hips. Cup your hands and make side to side figure 8 scoop like paddelings (mirror the motion of each hand so both hands go into the hips or circle out at the same time).

As long as you keep your hands up under your butt and do that paddle, it'll keep your legs from sinking.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I've spent so much of my life swimming in the ocean then rolling in the hot sand, loving every grain! When I was a kid my mom made me rinse off the sand, including half the beach that was in my hair, with a hose in the garden. Brrr!

I won't sign in 'cuz I can swim...at least I used to be able to!
                Ditto! My mom was at war with sand. We kids could never understand what the big deal was.

Comment

Signing in! Born and raised here, but can't swim, though it's not without trying. I took swimming lessons in a summer program, in the Boy Scouts, in High School, and for P.E. at UH during my freshman or sophomore year, where my coach was Soichi Sakamoto, the former U.S. Olympic Swim Coach.

It seems that my form is OK (I look good for the first 10 to 15 strokes), but after that, when I get to the middle of the pool, my foot begins to drag me under. It's hard to swim in a sinking vertical position.

When I went to grad school on the mainland and some of my classmates discovered I didn't surf, they couldn't believe it. "Doesn't everybody in Hawaii know how to surf?" I explained: "I have a drowning problem."

Comment

hi this is sansei and when i was young, at the time,my childhood and neighborhood friend we both went to the beach and my second sister and her boyfriend at the time now her husband that my friend pulled my leg's from under and pulled me underwater for a few second's and this is the true reason i dont swim is im to afraid of water since that incident and im only not afraid of the bath water since i bathe in our tub and it's the old tub,i dont use my shower since my deceased father once used it when he was living so i thought to share this true story with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

how many of you were raised on Oʻahu?

pax

Comment

sounds like we going get scoldings or some "whack" "whacks".

me.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

nah! No whacks, just theory…

pax

Comment

raised o'ahu. can "swim". can't tread water.

*hide behind kani-lehua, to be safe from the whack-whack's*

My girls love to go to the beach. I hate cleaning up the sand. So humbug.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              Ditto! My mom was at war with sand. We kids could never understand what the big deal was.
                              Sand breaks down the fiber in carpets causing them to wear out before their time. Sand also scratches wood floors. Think sandpaper! I'm not sure if it negatively affects plumbing. I'd think it would just wash right thru a drain pipe...but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X