Movies that you feel are Overrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies that you feel are Overrated

Tell me which movies you think are overrated. Personal opinion, blah blah blah. Don't argue with me. I'm the man. I'm not saying these films totally suck, just that they're overrated.

The Breakfast Club
    The exception to my statement that these films don't totally suck and the main reason I started this thread. I'm sick of people clinging to this little 80's piece of sentiment as an actual good movie. It's not. Everything about this piece of shit is corny as hell. From the worst part of 80's music, to the high school cliches, this movie absolutely blows. In my opinion of course. Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, OOOOOOooooooOOOOOaaaHHHHHH! Terrible. The over dramatization of high school. The end scene with the "bad boy" pumping his fist in the air frozen. Ugh, it makes me sick to think of.

The Deer Hunter
    As much as I like De Niro, I think this one gets too much praise. So he went and lived as a steel worker for 6 months. Why? They're only in a steel factory for 6 minutes. If that. There's an intense couple of scenes and a lot of boring filler. And the longest wedding scene ever. I'd rather just go to a real wedding, at least I'd get free food.

Juno
    I'm just including this one because it's been getting such rave reviews from everybody. I saw it, don't see the big deal. It's like they took elements from Saved! and Napoleon Dynamite and clumsily threw them together. Not an absolutely terrible film, just way overrated.

Titanic
    IMO, this movie is not as classic as people make it out to be. The whole movie was a long boring boat ride without the sea sickness.
    Last edited by alohabear; June 7, 2008, 07:27 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Movies that you feel are Overrated

Titanic, for sure.

Field Of Dreams

flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

I think it would be MUCH easier to notate the few 'Hollywood' pix from the last 30 years that are worthy of a bag of popcorn.

Crumb, an indie, comes to mind, but not much else at the moment.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Napoleon Dynamite - I understand why it was popular, but I don't think it was nearly as good as the hype.

Crumb is indeed a great movie. Is there a theatre on Oahu that shows 'Art' films, foriegn films, and such?

Comment

Everything with Mike Meyers or Adam Sandler.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            As a stand-alone flick, I would agree with you. The things that makes this flick so wonderful though are 1)the profound historical significance of the Battle of Thermopylae and 2)the physical aspects that these actors willingly endured to ready themselves for this movie.

Because I watch this movie with these ideas in the back of my head, I find the movie a great treat.

pax

Comment

Insert just about any Tom Cruise film, about the only one I remotely liked was "Risky Business".

As for "Breakfast Club", I liked it but don't sit in awe of it 23 years later. I was entering high school around that time and also ended up getting in trouble serving detention with classmates of all the walks of life and yes on Saturday mornings or strange days and times. I guess in some odd way I felt I could relate to it I guess. I bought the Simple Minds 45's when they came out, but I wont go and say they were the greatest band ever.

For that era, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is one of my favorite films. Phoebe Cates alone makes me love this film.

Aj

Comment

Has anything worth a damn been done by...

...Will Farrell?

Lot's of $ made, but who's paying to see this guy?
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Anything with Kevin Costner, in particular Robin Hood (a real embarrassment) and Dances with Wolves (I was rooting for the Indians to scalp him).
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    As a stand-alone flick, I would agree with you. The things that makes this flick so wonderful though are 1)the profound historical significance of the Battle of Thermopylae and 2)the physical aspects that these actors willingly endured to ready themselves for this movie.

Because I watch this movie with these ideas in the back of my head, I find the movie a great treat.
                    I liked "300", too. Persian " . . . our arrows will blot out the sun". Spartan "then we will fight in the shade". It's completely over-the-top in its 'epicnificence' (even worthy of a new word). It's got the "it's not the size of the dog in the fight. it's the size of the fight in the dog" thing going on. Kinda like the Alamo. The handful goes toe-to-toe with the throng. Not a brilliant movie, but a good one.
                    Last edited by Jim75; June 7, 2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I loved The Breakfast Club and Juno. Brilliant dialogue. I think you have to be the type of person who likes "talky" types of movies.
                      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I went to the high school that was used to film The Breakfast Club...which is also the high school that John Hughes, the Director of many movies from the 80's, went to. He was a year ahead of me and married a girl from my class. That's probably the main reason I could endure the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                          I went to the high school that was used to film The Breakfast Club...which is also the high school that John Hughes, the Director of many movies from the 80's, went to. He was a year ahead of me and married a girl from my class. That's probably the main reason I could endure the movie.
                          You went to Glenbrook North High?

Aj

Comment

My husband calls Titanic a movie about, "the first time an old woman got laid real good that just happened to occur during an historic event."
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Citizen Kane is the all time greatest film according to some critics when they make their list of best movies of all time. I didn't understand it. Was it dated, or do you have to be in the newspaper bidness to truly grasp its story?

Comment

Working...
                              X