Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies that you feel are Overrated

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Citizen Kane is the all time greatest film according to some critics when they make their list of best movies of all time. I didn't understand it. Was it dated, or do you have to be in the newspaper bidness to truly grasp its story?
    I think it has a lot to do with the era in which it was made. It was an unusual (some would say courageous) thing to make a film that pretended to be a story of a fictional individual, yet people knew that it was truly about a particular living (and highly influential) person. It was also a gutsy move on Welles' part, as it was his first feature film directing opportunity, and could have just as easily destroyed his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      I think it has a lot to do with the era in which it was made. It was an unusual (some would say courageous) thing to make a film that pretended to be a story of a fictional individual, yet people knew that it was truly about a particular living (and highly influential) person. It was also a gutsy move on Welles' part, as it was his first feature film directing opportunity, and could have just as easily destroyed his career.
      I worked at Hearst Castle for a number of years. Hearst Castle was the resplendent, and favorite, home of William Randolph Hearst on the Central Coast of California near San Simeon.

I did a lot of research on the movie Citizen Kane while working there which was reportedly about the life of WRH. Actually there are some thematic similarites to WHR's life but the movie also incorporates vignettes about other Americans of that time, such as Howard Hughes and Eli Whitney. The movie is more of a collage about prominent Americans.

The brilliance of the movie centers around Orson Welles' use of theatrical techniques that were both shocking and groundbreaking for that time and are still used today. It was also the first movie to use satirical themes about real, live celebrities of that time. So the movie has to reviewed in the context of the times. I agree that it is difficult to understand what the movie is trying to say, unless you are very familiar with the historical context. Is it the best movie ever made? I don't know, but I personally find it fascinating. The movie did produce Welles only Oscar (for best screenplay). By the way, there is no connection whatsoever between WRH and "rosebud."

Perhaps an interesting sidenote:

Hearst was a movie buff and started making his own home movies shortly after 1910 using guests to star in movies he scripted at his "ranch" (Hearst Castle), usually cowboy movies. Later he founded his own movie production studio in Hollywood, called Metropolitan Pictures, to showcase the "talents" of his paramour and live-in companion, Marion Davies. In the 1930's, Hearst fell on hard financial times and sold part of Metropolitan Pictures to his pals, Sam Goldwyn and Louie B. Mayer and MGM was formed - Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Metro was the Metropolitan Picture part of the new company, of which Hearst was partial owner. In fact, Hearst did attempt to ruin Orson Welles' directing career through MGM Pictures. Hearst had Welles blacklisted around Hollywood because of the movie Citizen Kane. Hearst previewed the movie before it was released. Hearst offered several million dollars to Welles to buy all copies of the film to destroy them - not because of what the movie portrayed about Hearst but because it showed Marion Davies (a popular actress in silent films) as an untalented alcoholic, which wasn't too far from the truth. Welles refused to sell to Hearst and consequently Hearst vowed to destroy him professionally. Hearst did arguably destroy Welles directing career through his influence at MGM and through negative movie reviews on all of Welles' movies in the 12 major metropolitan newspapers Hearst owned across the US. Subsequent movies directed by Welles never did enjoy any significant commercial or financial success. Orson Welles, who was viewed as a genius by his peers, never did recover after the release of Citizen Kane and had to resort to selling wine on TV at the end of his life.

Ironically, Welles has an acting role in one of my all time favorite movies, Catch 22.

Ofa 'atu
      Mui Houma
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Anything with Kevin Costner, in particular Robin Hood (a real embarrassment) and Dances with Wolves (I was rooting for the Indians to scalp him).
        Don't forget Waterworld and the Postman
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

1) E.T.
          2) Ghost
          3) Titanic
          4) Pearl Harbor
          5) J.F.K. (the Oliver Stone film)
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

1) Cloverfield
            Made of pure suck. Don't believe the hype!
            2) The Ring
            This is horror?! Sorry, little girls don't scare me. Neither the Japanese version nor the American version are any good.
            3) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
            The neat-o fighting gets old surprisingly fast. This film is typically enjoyed by pimpled teens who think that watching anime makes you worldly.
            5) Apocalypto
            It drags! It sags! It makes you want to barf into brown paper bags! It's a Mel Gibson movie!
            6) The Passion of the Christ
            It's not art, it's a snuff film.
            7) Monster's Ball
            Bad things happen to pretty people! Oy, vey...
            8) Gone With the Wind
            Yeah, I said it! The only thing that saves this film is pure nostalgia.
            9) The Matrix
            Yeah, I said that, too! The movie has glitz and...not much else.
            10) Fight Club
            This film is downright offensive to those who have actually read the book.

and a classic...

It's A Wonderful Life
            He should have offed himself and spared us the nausea that comes with this too-long saccharine tale.

Give me a minute to prepare myself before you throw tomatoes and high-heels at me, folks.
            Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Lon, you did NOT justgoandthrowmatrixandfightclubintothecan now didja?? Those movies were able to be what so few flicks are in this day and age: original.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                Lon, you did NOT justgoandthrowmatrixandfightclubintothecan now didja?? Those movies were able to be what so few flicks are in this day and age: original.
                Yep, I'm afraid I did. I give Fight Club credit, but not the movie. The movie slaughters the book all over the place.

Now the thing about The Matrix is that it's pseudo-scientific hokum with a highly mechanical ending. It drags far too long as well. While it does have its exciting parts, it strings you along and leaves you falling asleep in your seat. The movie gives more dazzling effects than any kind of substance.
                Oh, and poor casting.
                As for the originality of The Matrix, I beg to differ. The movie is nothing but a pretty little light show with religious references, references to Westerns, Alice in Wonderland, hackers, and Hong Kong glitter...which is nothing new. This film even takes hint from Vertigo.

For these reasons and more, I find The Matrix to be overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
                  Now the thing about The Matrix is that it's pseudo-scientific hokum with a highly mechanical ending. It drags far too long as well. While it does have its exciting parts, it strings you along and leaves you falling asleep in your seat. The movie gives more dazzling effects than any kind of substance.
                  Oh, and poor casting.
                  As for the originality of The Matrix, I beg to differ. The movie is nothing but a pretty little light show with religious references, references to Westerns, Alice in Wonderland, hackers, and Hong Kong glitter...which is nothing new. This film even takes hint from Vertigo.

For these reasons and more, I find The Matrix to be overrated.
                  I hate to think what you think of the whole matrix trilogy

Flickr

Comment

Two more movies that are way overrated and made money....

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End these two movies should have never been made. Even with Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush(two great performances...BTW)these movies were boring.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                      Two more movies that are way overrated and made money....

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End these two movies should have never been made. Even with Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush(two great performances...BTW)these movies were boring.

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I demanded my money back after watching At World's End.
                      When it comes to cinema and food...I'm not easily pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        You went to Glenbrook North High?

Aj
                        My best friend is a Glenbrook North alumna '00! Besides being John Hughes' alma mater and gaining fame in Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club, many remember it for the awful hazing incident of 2003.
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          Tell me which movies you think are overrated. Personal opinion, blah blah blah. Don't argue with me. I'm the man. I'm not saying these films totally suck, just that they're overrated.
                          Any films (mainstream, indie, or foreign) that feature Hawaii locations. Totally overrated. Having lived here, there's nothing overtly special about the place.

Any films featuring Tom Cruise. Blech!
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Any french movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              You went to Glenbrook North High?

Aj
                              I sure did!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                                My best friend is a Glenbrook North alumna '00! Besides being John Hughes' alma mater and gaining fame in Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club, many remember it for the awful hazing incident of 2003.
                                Since I went to school in John Hughes' era...it was wayyyyyy before your best friend attended! Yes...it was the one that had the hazing incident as well as movie fame.

Comment

Working...
                                X