Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and aloha

aloha everyone,,,,,,

i stumbled onto this great site. what was i googling for?,,,,,,,,,,,oh yeah, a place that sells enka cds. anyway, this seemed like such a nice place to be, i decided to register. nice thing about a forum is you can get a bagillion members and you won't get rush hour traffic or have to worry about donald trump building condos that'll dwarf the new ones you already have.

about me.........lemme see. i'm a sansei AND i guess i'm a kotonk. that's what my wise @ss uncle used to call me. born in nyc, but all my family on both sides are from oahu or maui my family moved BACK to oahu when i was 2yrs, where i grew up in nuanu and manoa valleys and went to island paradise elementary school. i remember grabbing crawfish in the river behind our home in manoa,,,getting stuck with a pencil by a crummy little kid, and standing in the corner because i stuck my leg out and tripped the teacher,,,,,,all in the 3rd grade. it was a memorable year.

we eventually moved back to the states where i've been my whole life.

i'd visit oahu a few times but the experiences were of sad memories of relatives passed........so i stopped going back,,,too painful.

but i've "come back" of sorts. i'm over the sadness(sometimes). i know oahu is where my family will ALWAYS be. i visit now for periods that last longer every year. i go to oahu to perfect the art of relaxing. don't do anything,,,just sit, relax, and stroll. i stroll a lot, coming from nyc. waikiki to chinatown,,,are you kidding?,,,that's only 3 miles! ono foods for lau lau?,,,the walk won't burn off enough calories,,,i think i'll walk to young's. i heard they make great lau lau. about the only "non relaxing" thing i do is exercise at 24hr fitness...awesome gym. i've never seen such a diversity of age groups so buffed, from teens to 70 yr olds,,, men and women. and i'm talkin' BUFFED,,, not getting on a bike and going 2 mph.
    enough about me. now i'm gonaa read everyone's profile
    thanks and mahalo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,milt
    Last edited by miltk; June 8, 2008, 09:37 PM.

Re: Hi and aloha

Howdy Milt, and welcome

Usually Auntie Lynn is the first person to greet newcomers, but she's all busy being lovey dovey with her new hubby

Originally posted by miltk View Post
    standing in the corner because i stuck my leg out and tripped the teacher
    Haha, luckily you didn't have a nun for a teacher

i go to oahu to perfect the art of relaxing. don't do anything
    When my in-laws first visited Hawaii, I was frantically trying to organize things for them to do. They patted me on the back and told me they didn't need to do anything. They were just gonna lie on the beach and be bums. They're hard working blue collared types, and were thankful for a break in their routines.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      When my in-laws first visited Hawaii, I was frantically trying to organize things for them to do. They patted me on the back and told me they didn't need to do anything. They were just gonna lie on the beach and be bums. They're hard working blue collared types, and were thankful for a break in their routines.
      I'm good at relaxing,,,but it's an ART in Hawaii. It's more than that however. I don't have to explain to anyone here that there's something in the air that melts tension. I feel it as soon as I get off the plane, and it's a palpable thing.

Funny anecdote,,,has nothing to do with nothing, but,,,,,so I get off the plane and we decided to take the shuttle to the car rental. It's a quick swing and we're there in 2 minutes...we get out of the shuttle, and I look across the way, and I can see we're only 150' away from where we got ON!!!

Comment

we eventually moved back to the states where i've been my whole life.

You were always in the states, silly

Aloha and welcome! Where in NYC are you?
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

...and did you find the enka CDs you were looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            ...and did you find the enka CDs you were looking for?
            Manhattan, upper west side.

I'll have to look when I go to Oahu in November. I suspect the cds I want I may have to get at used/trade-in cd stores because the/'re out of print, according to cd.japan.

Well,,,Oahu sure don't feel like the states when I'm there.

Comment

Haha, luckily you didn't have a nun for a teacher.
              i did if we had done what milt said, we'd get the "whack whacks" not from auntie lynn of course, but from them nuns. either with the ruler (the metal side on the knuckles) or we'd have to go and kneel on the cement. i was a quick learner, not. when i was in high school, i'd forge my mother's johnette hancock and get away without having to serve detention. she never knew until many years later.

anywho, welcome to ht milt!
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

there's something in the air that melts tension. I feel it as soon as I get off the plane, and it's a palpable thing.
                The humidity helps.

we get out of the shuttle, and I look across the way, and I can see we're only 150' away from where we got ON!!!
                Haha. I guess you can call it the scenic route.

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                we'd have to go and kneel on the cement
                omg does that bring back memories. if you were lucky it was smooth cement, instead of that rough, no-slip textured stuff. owie!
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

omg does that bring back memories. if you were lucky it was smooth cement, instead of that rough, no-slip textured stuff. owie!
                  ouch, indeed! it was the broom-swept kind.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Manhattan, upper west side.
                    I used to stay at 73W and Columbus.

I love the city, but as far as living there, can't do it...after about 5 days I reach critical mass.
                    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      I used to stay at 73W and Columbus.

I love the city, but as far as living there, can't do it...after about 5 days I reach critical mass.
                      I used to live near there. The whole area has changed. They leveled 12 city blocks, landscaped the area with grass and palm trees, created rolling hills, created a sandy area for beach volleyball, added a babbling brook and a huge pond of koi. The area has been designated a "no noise area" on penalty of death, shave ice during the summer, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,oh wait!!! that was yesterday's dream.

Comment

I used to live near there. The whole area has changed. They leveled 12 city blocks, landscaped the area with grass and palm trees, created rolling hills, created a sandy area for beach volleyball, added a babbling brook and a huge pond of koi. The area has been designated a "no noise area" on penalty of death, shave ice during the summer, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,oh wait!!! that was yesterday's dream.
                        ROFL, though such an oasis would be a welcome retreat in the city! With something like that, I might could make it 10 days!
                        flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Hi miltk... I used to catch crayfish in a little gutter next to my old house in Manoa, too. That was so much fun! Welcome!

Comment

Aloha e Milt! Welcome! I love Maui. Well, obviously. Maui no ka 'oi! Haha. Never visited O'ahu before though. Do you like it?
                            'Alika

Comment

Aloha and welcome to Hawaii Threads Milt! Glad to have you on board here as part of our ever growing cyber 'ohana (family). Hope you enjoy your stay!
                              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Working...
                              X