Movies you feel are UNDERrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies you feel are UNDERrated

Are there any realy good Hawai'in movies I should see? And I mean Hawai'ian produced, with Hawai'ian actors. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
      Are there any realy good Hawai'in movies I should see? And I mean Hawai'ian produced, with Hawai'ian actors. Thanks.
      I love Aloha Summer

Loads of local actors and a great story
      Last edited by alohabear; June 18, 2008, 05:07 PM.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by miltk View Post
        Excellent choice of AB. The crossing guard scene and that whole situation in 'zona is a crack-up.

Which AB movie was it where he's broken up with his girlfriend and in one scene he's looking at his books or tapes and says lovingly "these are all my friends"
        I think that scene was probably from Modern Romance with Albert Brooks as a neurotic who has an on again and off again relationship with his girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
          Movies with living in Hawaii themes that we here can relate:
          Whale Rider: About Maoris' culture in New Zealand.
          The New World: Native Americans meeting with the arrival of Europeans.
          The Hawaiians: With Charleston Heston, and our family pineapple field was used for a scene in the movie.
          Picture Bride: Felt like the old family photo album came to life.
          Better Luck Tomorrow: Modern day upper middle class katonks. Compare their similiarites and differences with local born Japanese.

Comment

Some movies you probably didn't see, but should:

1) Two Lane Blacktop - Even if you're not a gearhead, this one is a must see. Almost like an automotive version of Easy Rider. The plot is abstract and the script is sparse. In fact, you never learn the names of any of the characters. It's just "driver," "mechanic," "G.T.O.," and "girl." And the ending is something that has to be seen to be believed. Even with the popularity of racer flicks like the Fast and the Furious, this is the kind of movie that could never be made today. Kids today just wouldn't "get it."

2) Burnt Offerings - When initially released, this film didn't get the greatest of reviews. Maybe because it didn't quite measure up to the high standards set by horror classics of the time like the Exorcist, the Omen, and Salem's Lot. But in an age where Hollywood has lazily grinded out slasher film after slasher film, watching Burnt Offerings today is like a breath of fresh air in the horror genre. Back in the days when moviemakers knew how to use suspense and pacing (rather than blood and gore) to give viewers "chicken skin."

3) Irma Vep - A French film, the kind of which would never be produced by an American studio. Not in our politically-correct climate. A story about the trials and travails of a director trying to re-make the silent film classic, Les Vampires, but with an Asian in the lead role. The ending, which comes abruptly, is nonetheless riveting.

4) Vanishing Point - No, I'm not talking about the terrible re-make starring Viggo Mortensen and Jason Priestly. The only one to watch is the 1971 original. A lot of people think of this one as being a car chase film, which it is. But there's so much more to take in and absorb, if you're a viewer who cares for subtext. Barry Newman stars as a racer rebel without a cause. (If James Dean was still alive at the time, it would have been THE perfect role for him.) There are also superb supporting performances turned in by Dean Jagger and Cleavon Little.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Map of the Human Heart (w/ Jason Scott Lee)
              Lost in Translation
              Hiding Out
              Shanghai Kiss
              Triplets of Belleville
              Revenge

Underrated but when I saw these I was blown away.

Aloha.

Comment

I agree with so many that you guys listed.

Here's one of my all-time faves:

Next Stop Wonderland - Philip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic!
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Midnight Run (Robert DeNiro), The Thing ...the 80's one with Kurt Russell, So I Married An Axe Murderer... I just realized the detective on Without A Trace is in that movie too.

Comment

Let's see...

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - have no clue who is in it - a Mel Brooks movie
                    I love anything by Mel Brooks but this one is underrated imo

Young Einstein - Yahoo Serious - this name I can remember 'cause...... what a cool name.

Real Genius - starring the Batman guy - with the blond hair - (I'll think of it and edit) Van something? something Van?

Galaxy Quest - Tim the toolman

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      Just thought I'd add my Cronenberg favs - Naked Lunch, Existenz
                      The movie, Joe's Apartment with Don Ho made me think of The Naked Lunch as a movie that had to be created under the influence of drugs. Other hard to understand movies include films by David Lynch such as Eraserhead, and Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        Let's see...

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - have no clue who is in it - a Mel Brooks movie
                        I love anything by Mel Brooks but this one is underrated imo

Young Einstein - Yahoo Serious - this name I can remember 'cause...... what a cool name.

Real Genius - starring the Batman guy - with the blond hair - (I'll think of it and edit) Van something? something Van?

Galaxy Quest - Tim the toolman
                        maybe Val Kilmer?
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Going with y'all on The Last Starfighter and Time Bandits. good movies, and often viewed.

I know these are cult faves, but they are faves at my house:
                          Weird Science
                          Princess Bride
                          Labyrinth
                          War Games
                          and the one where the robot says, "Numbah Five is Alive!!"

That one is called "Short Circuit". I loved it when the robot told a pretty funny joke but I can never remember the joke!

(sorry - didn't realize these posts were so OLD!!!)
                          Last edited by anapuni808; July 28, 2009, 10:27 PM.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Some of my favorite underrated movies:

Sorry I'm pretty heavy on sci-fi movies.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              That one is called "Short Circuit". I loved it when the robot told a pretty funny joke but I can never remember the joke!
                              "Stephanie... nice software!"
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

nope thats not it, although that was pretty funny too. he told a "real" joke to steve guttenberg's character to prove that he understood emotions and was "alive". it was a pretty funny joke and a very touching moment in the movie.
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X