Movies you feel are UNDERrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies you feel are UNDERrated

The originals of - Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, King Kong, The Blob (it creeps and slides and glides, accross the floor and through the door...).
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Steve Martin in My Blue Heaven.............okay, its a stinker but they used my former residence and my dog in the movie. I made $750 on that deal, but it still wasn't worth it.

Ofa 'atu
      Mui Houma
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Couple of my favs i think are underrated:

High Fidelity (john cusak)
        Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (jim carey)
        The Last Castle (robert redford)
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          That's one of my favorite Japanese movies, too. A true original.

Also, Shall We Dance, the original Japanese movie, not the Richard Gere/Jennifer Lopez re-make (which I haven't seen, BTW).

Other movies that comes to mind: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Sean Penn is hilarious), and Gremlins (hmmm ... another movie with Phoebe Cates).
          Speaking of Fast Times....so many good Hollywood actors made their debuts in that film including Oscar winners Forrest Whitaker Sean Penn and Nicolas(Coppla)Cage.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I don't know if this movie is underated but a lot of people I talk to haven't seen it or heard of it... The Usual Suspects .

Comment

LOVE the Usual Suspects

Imma have to go with

The Adventures Of Barron Münchhausen

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist

Time bandits

Raising Arizona
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                Time bandits
                Time Bandits!!!

I don't know why, TATTRAT, but that movie was so creepy when I watched it as a kid. *hide behind pillows*

I watched 25th Hour the other night. Pretty good movie. I liked some of the things Spike Lee did with it. I guess the movie got lost in the post 9/11 haze?
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Recently, "Deja Vu" w/ Denzel:
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453467/

My all-time underrated: "Club Paradise" w/ Robin Williams. Not sure why.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Some surprising picks here. "Zodiac" didn't get the Oscar love many thought it deserved, but it made a lot of "best of the year" lists. I didn't think it was underrated by a long shot, though I'm glad I saw it. "The Usual Suspects" is almost universally loved, to the point where I'm starting to argue against it just to play devil's advocate. And "Fargo"? Definitely in my top ten, but it's a Coen Brothers film, it won two Oscars and was the hit at Cannes, was #4 on Ebert's list of '90s films... in short, again, pretty highly rated.

"Eternal Sunshine," another great film and Oscar winner. "High Fidelity" gets heaps of love (John Cusack is a perennial favorite), though on subsequent viewings doesn't charm me anymore...

I see a lot of "cult favorites" listed, too, which I think is a whole category unto itself. "Life of Brian"? Of course a fun movie. Critics' ratings are effectively irrelevant in these cases.

I'm thinking of films that got, at best, lukewarm receptions from critics and perhaps as a result from the moviegoing public, but were actually not bad. "Iron Giant" is on my list there, and for a lot of people, as Exhibit A in how to wholly botch a film's marketing. And you know what? "Waterworld" wasn't a great film by any stretch of the imagination, but I maintain it didn't outright suck on the scale of, say, "Battlefield Earth."

Was intrigued to see "Mystery Men" listed. I remember looking very much forward to that one, because of the cast and the conceit. And for me, at least, it was a horrible disappointment. But who knows... maybe with the last few dozen superhero parodies in mind, it may hold up better!

Comment

the seventh sign,,,i can't stand demi moore but the story in this movie was good.

little shop of horrors

the vampire's kiss
                      ....for nicholas cage fans

the last starfighter

serenity

romeo is bleeding

dennis the menace
                      ....with walter matthou

last days of disco

palmetto...i don't care for woody harrelson, but it a good mystery/suspense movie for anyone who love chloe sevigney OR who think she's that unattractive wife in "Big Love".

go for broke!......come on guyz, are you kiddin' me. no one mentioned this movie?

dim sum

big trouble in little china

red dawn

after hours

Comment

The 13th Warrior
                        Serenity
                        Big Trouble in Little China
                        Van Helsing
                        (yes, the Hugh Jackman version)
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

A night at the Roxbury - Score!

Memento - If you don't know what this movie is about, watch it before reading anything about it. Blows your mind.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who recommended Tampopo. I'm amazed a movie like that was made in 1985. Wish I saw it back then; I would have been totally blown away. I probably would have ended up with a crayfish fetish

My favorite scene was the housewife on her deathbed.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Going with y'all on The Last Starfighter and Time Bandits. good movies, and often viewed.

I know these are cult faves, but they are faves at my house:
                              Weird Science
                              Princess Bride
                              Labyrinth
                              War Games
                              and the one where the robot says, "Numbah Five is Alive!!"

Comment

Forgot to add

Primal Fear with Ed Norton and Richard Gear
                                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                                X