X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stand Up Paddle Surfing

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Yay Jeff!!

I saw a lot of SUP ers at Lanikai yesterday, apparently coming back from the Moke islands. Whatta workout!!
    Lol! I'm highly offended by the use that word here.

Comment

Way to go Jeff! The fact that you haven't been on a surfboard before, let alone a SUP, is a big deal! It's also great to hear that your instructor was a stand-up kinda guy!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

On hell of a workout for sure! Love It!
        Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

what kind of gear do you recommend, Where do you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
            A qualified success...

Wow...that was fun...challenging...different from what I expected...harder than I expected (and I expected HARD)...and I think I may be hooked.

My demo was this morning at Ala Moana. The young guy from the shop was super cool, and was really helpful. He taught me more in one hour than I could have ever learned in months. Understand that I have NEVER been on a board of any kind, much less a SUP. Total noobie. I could get up on the board. Up on my knees. Could paddle from my knees. But...standing is a challenge for me...a real challenge. I did manage to get on my feet on a couple tries...for a total of about a second and a half. Needless to say I'm riding that learning curve. I think I could get a handle of it in a couple months. At least I didn't fall on the paddle. I've got a pretty bad chill now...was the water really that cold?

Will I do it again? You bet! Although I didn't get to my feet successfully I think I could get it done with more practice (OK, lot's more practice). I'm looking forward to trying this again.
            Dude, I can not believe this is a board first?!

Now, you say you don't like to surf, but imagine RIDING A WAVE!!!! knowing now you have never been upright, I can't help but think there is a part of you that feels the vibe of the ocean. The way it rolls under you, the way you feel it suck you back to the crest...c'mon, riding a wave/water is like harnessing the end of an epic journey, every crest and trough you go through has traveled XXXX miles for you to enjoy its death throws. It is a truly individual experience, no two are EVER the same, just a break that hopes to keep consistent.

Keep that in mind if you choose to pursue it, ...or perhaps it has chosen you?
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Are these demo sessions at Ala Moana a regularly scheduled thing? How does one "sign up?"

Comment

Originally posted by starbolt View Post
                Are these demo sessions at Ala Moana a regularly scheduled thing? How does one "sign up?"
                If China Uemura still hangs out at the jughandle there, he's probably at one of the picnic tables by the Ewa-most concession stand. It's been so long since I've gone to Ala Moana Park. I used to go every day, used to surf there at Tennis Courts all the time, used to hang out with the lifeguard Helene Philips... Just ask around. If anything, a lifeguard can tell you where to find China.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

thanks, lavagal. i used to surf courts regular too, but that was 8-10 years ago. got tired of the place... well, that was one of the reasons.

Comment

As stand-up paddle surfing becomes increasingly popular, tensions are rising along shorelines where they compete for ocean access with other activities.

Paddlers vs. swimmers
                    Like Urbano, a growing number of residents are discovering the excitement of stand-up paddling and are finding the calm waters at Ala Moana the ideal place to learn. But the sport's increasing popularity worries the state, which has received complaints from swimmers about the paddlers getting in the way and becoming a danger for them.
                    Stand-up paddleboarders spur Hawaii debate on ocean access
                    Statts said her division received numerous complaints from swimmers and other beachgoers last summer, when the number of stand-up paddleboarders on the water began to peak. "There were as many as 250 of them on weekends," Statts said. "Most of the complaints were from swimmers who thought that using any kind of board in the area was illegal."

Comment

I think part of the problem is that the paddlesurfers and swimmers aren't separated.

White Plains has a buoyed-off swimming area. Swimmers are free to go anywhere (at the risk of being run over) but surfers have to stay outside the buoys. The SUPs mostly go outside where the big ones break, and there's plenty of room for everyone.
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                        Stand Up Paddle Surfing...or SUP for short.

I've got the bug to give this a try. Never been much of a waterman, but I'm an OK swimmer, not really interested in the wave catching aspect as much as the paddling part.

Anyone here have any experience with SUP? Any recommendations for a preferred shop to get a board? What are the best spots for paddling?
                        Okay, I'm only a year late on my $0.02, lol... but just wanted to say that my family and I do this several times a week, the paddling back and forth in the lagoon for exercise, watching turtles, etc.. no surfing or open water runs for us. It's great exercise, a lot of fun, and a good family activity. 2 of our 4 boards (my Danai and my daugher's Sams Club board) came from craigslist, just keep looking and be ready to act quickly there are some excellent buys just be patient. Our other 2 are my sons custom Island Glass board, very stable but a bit heavy, and my wifes nice stable Starboard from Kimos in Kailua. Carrying these big boards is a challenge but there are all sorts of carrying options including built in handles, plus the epoxy boards are light and strong. Advice: consider the width carefully, this has a big effect on stability, maybe more so than length...

Comment

Working...
                        X