Stand Up Paddle Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Up Paddle Surfing

Stand Up Paddle Surfing...or SUP for short.

I've got the bug to give this a try. Never been much of a waterman, but I'm an OK swimmer, not really interested in the wave catching aspect as much as the paddling part.

Anyone here have any experience with SUP? Any recommendations for a preferred shop to get a board? What are the best spots for paddling?

Re: Stand Up Paddle Surfing

It is fun, real fun, and the surfing aspect of it just makes it MORE fun. You can ust the paddle like a rudder, and surf conventional, making it a fun combo. It is a real work out, you will be sore...a real workout

I would recommend just getting a used board, off of craigslist or something, they are REAL pricey new, and if it is something you find to not be your cup of tea, just resell...well, looking at used, still pricey...

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/searc...min&maxAsk=max
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

a lot of first timers try it out in the calm waters at ala moana; wait for a day without much breeze. when i tried it, we went to the area on the ward center side of ala moana; low tide and no breeze = flat conditions, just right for testing it out. have fun!
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I am eager to try this! I've been surfing since I first came to Hawaii in 1981, and I love it. I have learned SUP is a great workout for the core. Since I already surf, I'd love to have the paddling edge to catch some waves from outside. I see myself making this investment in about a year--when the first wave of used boards start floating into Craig's List, LOL!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

OK I've got a demo set up for Thursday morning. Funny how huge the boards look to me...as I'm kinda tall and, well as the name says..."fat", so the board I'll be trying looks like a battleship! 12 feet long, 31" wide, nearly 5" thick...hope it holds up!

Shaveice...yup, I'm doing the demo at Ala Moana. I got inspired to try SUP while walking through the park and thinking....if I'm gonna exercise here, why not on the water?

Lavagal...I've seen a bunch of SUP boards on CL, but not many as big as I need. I've been a cyclist for 15+ years, and I value a proper fit when it comes to gear. You on the other hand...woo hoo! Lot's to pick from!

Tatrat...yes, pricey...the whole set up can run $1600+ with a leash, deck pad, paddle, rack pads, board, & God knows what else. At least I already have a roof rack on the Pilot...mark one off

I'll post on how the demo goes...Mahalo for all the input!

Comment

I've watched SUPing for years at Makaha beach...moreso during the summer than the winter for obvious reasons! I've also seen it along the Gold Coast. Looks like fun but, to me, there's nothing like the thrill of catching a wave.

Comment

"fatt" Jeff, have a great time, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Look forward to your thoughts and report back!

If your name is changed to Battleship Jeff, I will assume it went well, lol.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

If you go Ala Moana check out China. He is always on the ewa side by the concession and you will see his pop up tent and his blue van. He gives free lessons to anyone who wants to learn as long as you know how to swim. Go in the morning because he usually leaves about 1:00pm. If he is not out giving lessons you will see about 4 boards by the tent. He is really friendly so don't be afraid to approach him and ask. China Uemura is the guy who have all those longboard surf meets, he lost quite a lot of weight since he began SUPing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                  OK I've got a demo set up for Thursday morning. Funny how huge the boards look to me...as I'm kinda tall and, well as the name says..."fat", so the board I'll be trying looks like a battleship! 12 feet long, 31" wide, nearly 5" thick...hope it holds up!
                  even tho the board IS big, on your first try i'd guess that it's going to feel a bit tippy, believe it or not! looking forward to your thursday report.

ps: wear a cap or something; not for protection from the sun but to shield your eyes from the laughing beach goers who may be laughing when you fall off the board! anyway, i found it helpful in that respect!
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                    even tho the board IS big, on your first try i'd guess that it's going to feel a bit tippy, believe it or not! looking forward to your thursday report.

ps: wear a cap or something; not for protection from the sun but to shield your eyes from the laughing beach goers who may be laughing when you fall off the board! anyway, i found it helpful in that respect!
                    No need...when you show as much pearly white haole opu as I'll be flashing, the glare will blind 'em!

That said...I am expecting to wear a visor & sunglasses.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      If you go Ala Moana check out China. He is always on the ewa side by the concession and you will see his pop up tent and his blue van. He gives free lessons to anyone who wants to learn as long as you know how to swim. Go in the morning because he usually leaves about 1:00pm. If he is not out giving lessons you will see about 4 boards by the tent. He is really friendly so don't be afraid to approach him and ask. China Uemura is the guy who have all those longboard surf meets, he lost quite a lot of weight since he began SUPing.

I know China! I'll definitely do this. When, I have no idea! Thanks so much for the tip! I've surfed in several of his contests!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                        Anyone here have any experience with SUP?
                        I'm waiting until I get tired of paddling with my arms, and I'll be buying from Craigslist, but I've had a few parking lot conversations.

One SUPer recommended paddling in quiet waters at the head of a stream until you get your balance & coordination. Don't know if that's so easy to find but you might want to spend some of your time paddling away from the actual break in an area that's at least flatter and easier to paddle in.

You can catch just about any wave... and every wave. You might want to stay away from other surfers and go outside with the other SUPers. (Some of the longboarders, in particular, resent having "their" waves dominated by SUPers.) White Plains/Kalealoa used to have a half-dozen SUP guys in among the regulars but now I see them all way way waaaaaay outside regularly catching 6-8 footers.

In addition to the sunscreen (rashguard & hat?), you will chafe in new areas. A friend learned to wear jams instead of shorts when the rails kept abrading his thighs. And occasionally a traction pad will slide across a sensitive part of your anatomy... or a knee.

Think through what you're going to do with your paddle & board when you fall. I don't know if it's sour grapes or fact, but I've heard that Laird took a few stitches from his paddle at the end of this session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsjFSmDLG0
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I too have been perusing craiglist for one of these puppies. Just perusing because I doubt that my wife will let me have another water toy at the moment.
                          Last edited by cezanne; June 11, 2008, 06:27 PM. Reason: booboo

Comment

A qualified success...

Wow...that was fun...challenging...different from what I expected...harder than I expected (and I expected HARD)...and I think I may be hooked.

My demo was this morning at Ala Moana. The young guy from the shop was super cool, and was really helpful. He taught me more in one hour than I could have ever learned in months. Understand that I have NEVER been on a board of any kind, much less a SUP. Total noobie. I could get up on the board. Up on my knees. Could paddle from my knees. But...standing is a challenge for me...a real challenge. I did manage to get on my feet on a couple tries...for a total of about a second and a half. Needless to say I'm riding that learning curve. I think I could get a handle of it in a couple months. At least I didn't fall on the paddle. I've got a pretty bad chill now...was the water really that cold?

Will I do it again? You bet! Although I didn't get to my feet successfully I think I could get it done with more practice (OK, lot's more practice). I'm looking forward to trying this again.

Comment

Yay Jeff!!

I saw a lot of SUP ers at Lanikai yesterday, apparently coming back from the Moke islands. Whatta workout!!
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                              X