Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupidest People Of The Day Award

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    How about those pro athletes who go through their millions by having too many kids or multi-millionaire Ed McMahon facing foreclosure of his home?
    *cocks eyebrow*

ed mcmahon was unable to work for a year and a half bcs of a broken neck. his home is hard to sell, not only bcs of the current market, but bcs his neighbors include celebrities who attract hordes of paparazzi. additionally, he gets no money from dvd sales of the tonight show eppies.

admittedly, part of his problem seems to be overgenerosity, but never would i lump him into any "stupid people" basket because of his financial problems.

source.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I think people's incredulity over Ed McMahon's problems are basically rooted in the expectation that he likely made millions of dollars way back in the 70's. I don't know if that's true, but I'd guess he did alright over all those years on the Tonight Show. After doing that well, to then be in financial trouble and needing to work at age 85? somehow suggests he may have been a poor money manager.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        The whackos are the ones who skip around naked protesting fur for PETA,
        Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        Who needs fur when you're a stranger to razors?
        Quote of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
          I think people's incredulity over Ed McMahon's problems are basically rooted in the expectation that he likely made millions of dollars way back in the 70's. I don't know if that's true, but I'd guess he did alright over all those years on the Tonight Show. After doing that well, to then be in financial trouble and needing to work at age 85? somehow suggests he may have been a poor money manager.
          What I wanna know is why didn't he disability insurance?
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            What I wanna know is why didn't he disability insurance?
            You been away from America for a while, ain'cha?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              You been away from America for a while, ain'cha?
              I'm beginning to pity you people.

Comment

I'm beginning to pity you people.
                Not needed, my friend. Many of us understand the advantages we've long had in this country, and are doing just fine adjusting to the changes as some of them end. We're adaptable, just as you yourself have shown to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Not needed, my friend. Many of us understand the advantages we've long had in this country, and are doing just fine adjusting to the changes as some of them end. We're adaptable, just as you yourself have shown to be.
                  I dunno, Leo.

Work yourself to the bone and all you get is bony fingers. Didn't we used to pity the poor Russian worker?...and now the American one is no better off...tired, running just to keep your head above water, forgetting babies in a hot car from fatigue, being evicted after one month, no job security, no family social help....no disability insurance...

Comment

Oh, Susie! Applause to you! Bony fingers - LOL!!! Pretty unfortunate, I know!

Is it much different in France? Maybe I should go....
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Work yourself to the bone and all you get is bony fingers. Didn't we used to pity the poor Russian worker?...and now the American one is no better off...tired, running just to keep your head above water, forgetting babies in a hot car from fatigue, being evicted after one month, no job security, no family social help....no disability insurance...
                      Yeah, but you know what the American Character is often like - it's so much easier for us to be fooled into thinking we're the best at everything, that the rest of the world is somehow inferior to us, and that "they" all want what "we" have.

It's a colonial mentality that doesn't die off easily. And it's hard to remove the blinkers when you don't even know that they are on. But some of us know otherwise (I think you are among 'em).

The decline and fall of the American Empire is as inevitable as it was for all past empires, and it's hard to recognize that it's already here and too late to stop. So you grab onto your potato sack, sit down and hang on for the ride. It's somebody else's turn to be on top of the slide.

So to keep it on topic: might the "stupidest people" be those who refuse to see beyond their little fiefdoms, worrying only how the increasing gas prices will make it more and more expensive to fill up their gas-sucking hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        *cocks eyebrow*

ed mcmahon was unable to work for a year and a half bcs of a broken neck. his home is hard to sell, not only bcs of the current market, but bcs his neighbors include celebrities who attract hordes of paparazzi. additionally, he gets no money from dvd sales of the tonight show eppies.

admittedly, part of his problem seems to be overgenerosity, but never would i lump him into any "stupid people" basket because of his financial problems.

source.
                        I was wrong to include Ed McMahon in my post, but his name was in the news recently. It sounds like he's getting screwed from receiving royalties from the Tonight Show DVD sales. He seems like a good guy after I read that he was a marine pilot who fought in the Korean War. He deserves only respect for fighting for our country. The people who I have a hard time having sympathy for are those lottery winners who end up bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          [...] Ed McMahon [...] He seems like a good guy [...]
                          He is.

(He wouldn't remember me. It's been 30 years...)

Comment

It's easier to change a no to a yes than it is to change a yes to a no. It's gonna be real hard for the world to downsize. And some of the world (ahem) has had it good for a looong time and has no idea.

Just look at those Spaniards...their truckers went on strike cause they didn't like the high gas prices (they pay just a tad less than we do, about ten bucks a gallon)...and already after four days of strikes their supermarkets are empty, prices have doubled, and, according to friends who went to Spain yesterday, 'people are acting funny'.

And this is in relatively 'good' times.

The Brits began their strike just this morning.

Now, i doesn't have to be so hard as all that, this downsizing. The first thing ya have to be able to do is to get rid of a few words or phrases...such as...

I deserve it
                            I earned it
                            It's always been this way
                            Nobody's gonna tell me what to do
                            But this is ....... (insert the name of your country here)
                            They can't do that
                            But this is our way of life
                            This is a free country

The second thing to do is to remember all those history lessons in highschool with just a bit more humility....yes, it CAN happen here.....and especially go back and review the notes on 'Manifest Destiny'. Hint: Good times move eastwards.

Failing that (or in spite of that), you could go for the religious angle. Today's world does make the Bible and the Koran look a bit less like fiction.

Your choice. But something's gotta give, sooner or later. This is where I come in with my old faithful, perennial, prep thread, of course...of which parts will do for things other than a pandemic (like when shelves are empty and prices have doubled and people are acting 'funny').

Hint: Spain is not a backwards thirdworld country. We go there all the time and it looks just like an other modern country. No illiterate peasants or lack of proper sanitation (well, they do have Turkish toilets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet ).
                            Last edited by SusieMisajon; June 12, 2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

we were driving on kapahulu towards waikiki when we passed a red chevy or ram blocking two lanes of traffic (including a city bus) just so he could turn left on kapahulu. said red truck then sped up to overtake four cars, including ours, to bully its way into the rightmost lane that turns onto ala wai boulevard (forcing the car in front of us to stop short just a few feet before the turn). we watched the red truck jerkily speed up, screeching its tires, while weaving through traffic without signaling many times, almost causing several accidents. his erratic driving was even more of a concern because there were both a motorcycle rider and a bicycle rider not far ahead of him. we feared he would cause a chain reaction accident resulting in some bad injuries...or worse.

i was just about to pull out my cell phone to call the truck in to the cops but then eric and i noticed a police car just twenty feet ahead of the truck, in the far left lane. the truck driver obviously noticed the police car too, because all of a sudden, he started lagging back and driving like normal people do, and made sure he stayed in the far right lane. in fact, he purposely hung out at the stop light before.

unfortunately for the driver, and probably to the chagrin of his two passengers, the driver of a mustang convertible rolled up next to the cop while we were at a stop light just before niu street. it was clear, by his hand motions, that he was ratting out the truck driver. we were right behind the cop as this happened, so i rolled down my window, cheered loudly and pointed to the red truck as the driver tried his best to continue slinking past toward the right turn onto mccully.

the cop put on his blinkers, and just like that, he crossed over two lanes to follow the red truck. we had to continue in the opposite direction toward ala moana so we didn't see the end result, but boy! it was such a satisfying relief to watch the blue and white tail that truck! what selfish dickwads!
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I just love it when Cyn writes in French! Tell us how you REALLY feel, Cyn! Yay for the good guys in that instance!
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X