Things we can't get here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things we can't get here

I'm going to the mainland soon for a week, and I had the idea to mail myself some things from CA that I cant find in HI. Cumin seeds, and Tapatio are at the top of my list. And Suavitel dryer sheets - mmmmm... smells like Mexico!

What do you guys bring back from the mainland when you go visit>
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: things we can't get here

French Bread. About 30 loaves.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      French Bread. About 30 loaves.
      Does it really beat Safeway® Kailua-Kona’s 5pm hot and fresh guarantee by the time you get to the 25th loaf or so?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        [...]
        Anything with Trader Joe's label on it!

Comment

There is no place in Hawaii where you can buy good French Bread. Reason is the temperature and the humidity. That's why SF is famous for their bread.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            There is no place in Hawaii where you can buy good French Bread. Reason is the temperature and the humidity. That's why SF is famous for their bread.
            I’ll take that as a yes. I’ve been to SF a few times. I was more interested in Ghiradelli® chocolate. As far as I’m concerned, there are only two kinds of bread: hot and fresh, and not hot and fresh.

I prefer the former.*

* unless ofcourse, it was baked in Tijuana.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

I'm going to the mainland soon for a week, and I had the idea to mail myself some things from CA that I cant find in HI. Cumin seeds, and Tapatio are at the top of my list. And Suavitel dryer sheets - mmmmm... smells like Mexico!

ditto to tutusue's post.

you really can't find cumin seeds here? i thought down to earth had them in their bulk section? could be wrong, though.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

A new In-n-Out t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                  ditto to tutusue's post.

you really can't find cumin seeds here? i thought down to earth had them in their bulk section? could be wrong, though.
                  Cumin is commonly used in Indian cooking. I know the Indian grocery store near University Ave carries it.

Comment

Tapatio are at the top of my list.
                    Tapatio like the hot sauce? I get that here at the Kapolei Safeway iirc. I have 2 bottles of it in my cupboard and I'm 100% positive I did not import 'em. Kapolei isnt exactly close to ya, but it's closer than California

I just got back from California (central valley) a week ago. I brought back freeze-dried fruits from Trader Joes (like space food). Their reusable bags are totally cute - they're the same material as the Costco ones, but have surfboards on them. I also got dried hibiscus flowers to snack on from TJ (kinda like gummy bears, but not really), which were really really good. My husband stocked up on jars of sunflower butter and almond butter. TJ's almond butter is tons better than the brand Costco sometimes carries. I also went to Target and bought a bunch of baby supplies that are $2-$10 less there than they are here.

We always make a run by In n Out and Sonics at least twice each while we're there, as well as eat tons of Mexican food.

Comment

Car parts for a ’68 Eldorado and a ’38 Cadillac series 75.
                      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                      Ayn Rand

Comment

Well, since I'm not muling back car parts (unless you're paying, 68-eldo)

Trader Joes has been on the top of my friends' lists. I was never that into TJ's before. Super, easy bachelor food as far as I'm concerned. Though cheaper than the same bachelor food here.

I need to know more about this Indian store that AbsoluteChaos speaks of!

Another 'top of the list' item is seasonings! Why do they cost $5.99 or more here? In mexicotown CA they cost 99cents or less in giant bags. Definately gonna spice up the spice rack while there.
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I used to go to an Indian store in that little shopping center across the street from Stadium Park. they had great food and some groceries. We get our cumin seed in bulk at Kale's in Hawaii Kai. I would wager Umeke Market has it, too. We like to go to It's Chili in Hawaii on King Street (between McCully and McCully Bicycle) for sauces like Marie Sharp's, etc. Now we're gowing our own red lantern chilis...still Marie Sharp's is the spouse's favorite.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

TurtleGirl - I don't know where you've been shopping but it seems like cumin seeds would not be that hard to find.

Foodland also carries Tapatio sauce. Also, in their produce department is usually a display of spices in little cellophane bags that are usually around $1. That's what I usually buy when I only need a little bit of something.

On Beretania St., across from the Times Market (between Keeaumoku & Piikoi) is a Mexican market called La Raza. They have a lot of really good stuff in there including fresh made tamales. They might also have cumin seeds since those are used in Mexican cooking also.

If you live out towards Mililani, there is an excellent Mexican restaurant called "Just Taco's Grill & Cantina" in the shopping center on Meheula Parkway. Their food is authentic (full restaurant) and they have something like 139 different kinds of tequila!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              I’ll take that as a yes. I’ve been to SF a few times. I was more interested in Ghiradelli® chocolate. As far as I’m concerned, there are only two kinds of bread: hot and fresh, and not hot and fresh.

I prefer the former.*

* unless ofcourse, it was baked in Tijuana.

i think Foodland has a very good bakery in some of their stores & if you're willing to wait a few minutes, they will bake a loaf of french or sourdough hot & fresh for you. the Safeway stores that have bakeries on premises will probably do that for you too.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X