• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we can't get here

How bout a Texas-size burrito?

Comment

Here's a few things I did bring back - Soy Jerky, and an assortment of vegetarian 'fake meats' that aren't available here. Suavitel dryer sheets (mmm, smells like Mexico!), CHEAP clothes and shoes. Unless you've shopped downtown LA (Santee Alley!) for clothes, y'all probably don't know what a big deal this is. Also about a gallon of my favorite conditioner. And a few cosmetics by Dermablend (it's the best!), cuz the old stuff doesn't match my new tan.
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Hey Bobinater...

...next time you're in Waialua at 11am - 4pm try Lulu's wagon near the old Sugar Bar. Big burritos, no doubt smaller than what you call Texas size, but pretty big, and good.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          [...]CHEAP clothes and shoes. Unless you've shopped downtown LA (Santee Alley!) for clothes, y'all probably don't know what a big deal this is.
          Hmmm...is this the garment district...or a new name for the garment district...or an area within the garment district...or completely separate from the garment district?! Inquiring minds wanna know! I've been to the GD many times and, my oh my, the bargains are incredible...and I hate to shop so I didn't last long on any of the trips!
          [...]And a few cosmetics by Dermablend (it's the best!), cuz the old stuff doesn't match my new tan.
          I've bought Dermablend here...at Long's and when Penney's was still around. I don't know if Long's carries the full range of products, tho'.

Did you bring anything back from Trader Joe's? Go ahead, make me envious!

Comment

Sorry, tutu, I was never really into Trader Joe's, so I didn't even think about it.

Dermablend at Longs? In CA I had to get it from the cosmetologists supply store that all the movie makeup people shop at. Is it at the Longs in Waikiki?

Santee Alley is a small street by the garment district that has the best deals on everything clothes & shoes. Cool, you know all about the g.d.! I spent half a day, and filled half an extra suitcase! Also bought a nice bathroom rug for $1.00.

Also scored at the little clothing shops in the strip malls in North Hollywood. I swear, they must have sweatshops in the back room or something, the stuff is sooooo cheap. And all current fashions!

Funny, I brought home more than my suitcase could hold, so I had to mail my jackets back to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
              Actually, I'm talking about the Original Tommy's, a Southern California institution. Sadly, they have not expanded beyond L.A. and Orange Counties (with the exception of the store in, you got it, Las Vegas!)

But now you've got me curious. I was born in San Francisco and have lived in the Bay Area my whole life except for college, but I'm unaware of a Tommy's on 19th in the City. There's a Tommy's Mexican Restaurant on Geary (best tequila selection you're likely to see outside of Mexico) and there's Tommy's Joynt, a Hof Brau type pub on Van Ness Avenue. Have I been missing out on something?
              Maybe Tommy's is not the right name - could it be Teddy's? I remember it started with a "T". It's out in the Sunset District, close to that little woody area where they used to perform Shakespeare?

I had a buffalo burger the other day - that reminded me of Tommy's Joynt except it was better!

As for a great tequila selection - we have a place here that serves 139 differrent kinds of tequila. That's certainly enough choices for me
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                [...]Dermablend at Longs? In CA I had to get it from the cosmetologists supply store that all the movie makeup people shop at. Is it at the Longs in Waikiki?[...]
                I saw it at Kahala and Ala Moana Center (Is that what you mean by Waikiki? I'm not familiar with a Long's in Waikiki proper.). Since you had to get it from a cosm. supply store I wonder if there's a consumer version and a professional version.

Comment

I am here in Los Angeles. If anyone needs anything from CA, a trade can be arranged. (How many malasadas can you stuff in a FedEx envelope?)

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Maybe Tommy's is not the right name - could it be Teddy's? I remember it started with a "T". It's out in the Sunset District, close to that little woody area where they used to perform Shakespeare?
                    I'm honestly stumped. Not that I know every place that's ever been in the City, but it sounds like you're talking about Stern Grove at 19th and Sloat. (Where BTW they have a great free summer concert series that regularly features music from Hawaii. Keali'i Reichel did a show there a few years back, as did Makaha Sons and Amy Gilliom. This year is Na Leo!) There are a few neighborhood restaurants on or around 19th Ave. nearby, but nothing that stands out or has been much of an institution. It was a burger place?

Kinda funny story on the topic. My cousin flew in from Honolulu last year and after I picked him up he immediately asked if there was an Olive Garden nearby. There happens to be one at Stonestown Mall (on 19th, down the street from Stern Grove), but I kept telling him "Oh no, we've got lots of better Italian restaurants than that," and started heading toward North Beach. Took a few minutes to realize he wanted Olive Garden because you don't have them in Hawaii! He'd discovered the restaurant while at a conference and was taken in by a recurring special called "The Never Ending Pasta Bowl." Olive Garden it was! (Sadly, however, no NEPB on this night.)

Comment

Great thread.

Thanks for reminding me of Tommy's burgers! One of my exgirlfriends, in South Gate, worked at a Tommy's burgers. I used to eat there often. I miss the homestyle feel of it.

Should I go back to the mainland, the first place I would hit is an honest-to-goodness Mexican restaurant, preferably one with carnitas to die for, and tacos using arrachera.

Then I'd go shopping at Urban Outfitters. But I hear the new Kapolei mall is going to have one?

Then I'd stop by Ikea just because I think that place is weird.

I never quite got the appeal of In 'n' Out. It's not bad, but I didn't think it's that special. I prefer White Castle myself. Even Sonic's. I've never tried Chick-fil-A either, but I hear it's fantastic.
                      ---
                      Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
                        Great thread.

I never quite got the appeal of In 'n' Out. It's not bad, but I didn't think it's that special. I prefer White Castle myself. Even Sonic's. I've never tried Chick-fil-A either, but I hear it's fantastic.
                        I don't get it either. The hamburgers always seem bland, fatty and undercooked to me. The shakes are pretty good, but still nothing compared to Foster's Freeze.
                        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Hmmm...is this the garment district...or a new name for the garment district...or an area within the garment district...or completely separate from the garment district?! Inquiring minds wanna know! I've been to the GD many times and, my oh my, the bargains are incredible...and I hate to shop so I didn't last long on any of the trips!

I've bought Dermablend here...at Long's and when Penney's was still around. I don't know if Long's carries the full range of products, tho'.

Did you bring anything back from Trader Joe's? Go ahead, make me envious!
                          My friend is visiting and she brought me a gift of a TJ insulated bag with sweet/spicy pecans and some other bags of nuts candied along with some dog treats from there for Manele & Koele a really nice gift and unexpected as well. I'm still bumming out that they stopped making "Capitola Cashews" and the "Pasadena Pecans" blends of nuts and dried fruits with lemongrass (the Capitola). I was crushed in May when I went to stock up in the Chicago area and they said "we don't have those anymore none of our customers liked them," well hello! We did!

Comment

That's a definite drawback to TJ's; they don't always carry the same items you found there before.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                              I'm honestly stumped. Not that I know every place that's ever been in the City, but it sounds like you're talking about Stern Grove at 19th and Sloat. (Where BTW they have a great free summer concert series that regularly features music from Hawaii. Keali'i Reichel did a show there a few years back, as did Makaha Sons and Amy Gilliom. This year is Na Leo!) There are a few neighborhood restaurants on or around 19th Ave. nearby, but nothing that stands out or has been much of an institution. It was a burger place?

Kinda funny story on the topic. My cousin flew in from Honolulu last year and after I picked him up he immediately asked if there was an Olive Garden nearby. There happens to be one at Stonestown Mall (on 19th, down the street from Stern Grove), but I kept telling him "Oh no, we've got lots of better Italian restaurants than that," and started heading toward North Beach. Took a few minutes to realize he wanted Olive Garden because you don't have them in Hawaii! He'd discovered the restaurant while at a conference and was taken in by a recurring special called "The Never Ending Pasta Bowl." Olive Garden it was! (Sadly, however, no NEPB on this night.)
                              Yes, I was thinking of Stern Grove - funny, I could see it in my mind but couldn't for the life of me remember the name! The restaurant was in that area but it wasn't primarily a hamburger place - they just happened to have excellent burgers!
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Here I go again! I'm headed to the mainland tonight!! California, here I come!

So, on my list of "Things To Bring Back From The Mainland", I've got:

an In N' Out Tshirt
                                couple bottles of "2 buck chuck"
                                a gallon of my favorite conditioner
                                CLOTHES!! Cheap clothes!! and SHOES!!

And I can't wait to eat at Olive Garden!

Comment

Working...
                                X