Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we can't get here

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Are we talking Tommy's on 19th in SF? Yummmmmm.
    oh my gawd - now you've made me very hungry! i was just thinking about that place a couple of days ago. they served the best burgers i have ever had in my whole life !!!!! you folks that crave in-n-out or sonic? hah - not even close.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
      (In best Homer Simpson voice...) "Mmmmmm..... Tommy's...."
      Nothing like a greasy burger patty smothered in greasier "chili" (more of a thick paste that bears little resemblance to what you'd enjoy at Zippys)
      Yeah, I don't know how they thicken it, but it sure is great. And like I said earlier, the chili fries are super-onolicious.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Are we talking Tommy's on 19th in SF? Yummmmmm.
      It's a chain, so there's a bunch of 'em.
      Just not any here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: things we can't get here

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        Check Ebay?
        Oh yes. I get lots of stuff there, but when I’m at the Grand National swap meet and there is that part that I did not win on Ebay for less than I bid….

How big is that suitcase?
        "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
        Ayn Rand

Comment

We can buy White Castle hamburgers here at a supermarket now, but it's frozen. It's still the best tasting frozen hamburger patty. Is there a taste difference between eating a White Castle at a franchise place and those frozen ones you buy at a market?
          I ate a rotisserie chicken from Boston Market, and thought it was tasty.

Comment

Marinaded rack of lamb and leg of lamb from Pape's Meat Company in San Mateo. Smoked sausage from Junction, TX. Homemade peanut pralines from Dallas. Institutional size Uncle Ben's Beans and Rice soup. Chicory coffee from Atlantic Beach, NC. A wink and a smile and a..."Y'all come back now, ya heeyah." from a pretty waitress down south. Real homemade frybread tacos out of a trunk of a 70's vintage Chevy sold by 2 old Hopi women up at Walpi Village on the Hopi Rez. Navajo style pulehu beef ribs.

Sorry, TJ's don't come close.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              How big is that suitcase?
              As big as your money can buy!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                As big as your money can buy!
                Don't forget to tack on $15. if you're flying American or United!

Comment

Homemade Polish, Smoked Polish sausages and bratwurst and apple bratwurst
                  from this market in Naperville, IL that has the most amazing butcher counter
                  imaginable. That's another thing we don't have here a real honest to goodness beautiful butcher counter with full service. This place has meats and their sausages plus the most delicious pre-made things like stuffed chicken breasts, ribs lots and lots of things. I even took pictures of it to think about and drool
                  over. We always bring back a couple pounds of each sausage, par boil them and freeze them and wrap them in heavy duty foil wrap in newspaper and then in freezer bags for the flight home. We have a "Mahalo" sausage party for the people who take care of our house or who have kindly offered to take us to
                  the airport. Also in said suitcase is usually a half or whole Lou Malnati's or
                  Giordano's pizza. Twice a year this happens!

Comment

i'm positive now that i got my cumin seeds from down to earth in the bulk section. also, ikea ships to hawai'i now. i remember 10 years ago lugging a tv stand/table back from one of their californina stores. if they had shipped back then, i would have bought way more.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      also, ikea ships to hawai'i now.
                      I wonder if TJ will ship me a bottle of "two buck?"

Ofa 'atu
                      Mui Houma
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

might cost you $10 bucks to ship the "two buck". you know i ask a clerk about two years ago if TJ would ship their wine to hawai'i and he said no. do you think if one were to go to say fedex or the like, they might ship it?
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I just got home from Foodland - they have bags of Cumin seeds in the display in the produce section. On Beretania, it's kind of hidden back in the corner - but, they have them!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Man, I hate driving in Honolulu! I'm always lost, one way streets eek, and parking is a nightmare!! So, all the cumin in the world could be at one shop somewhere there, but I can't find my way. Easier for me to just get it from my favorite meximart in LA. Sad, but true.

The BF is making me drive lately when we go out, and I'm slooooowly getting the hang of things. Have some maps hanging up around the house, and a good one in my car, Still generally confused, though...

Sorry for the thread drift, but I needed to vent!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

so why don't you just go to a store in Kaneohe or Kailua? I think that's where you've said you live? stop making excuses. if you want cumin seeds, then go get them. there are Foodland stores (and others) all over the island!
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I know the Foodland anapuni is talking about, and I can actually visualize where in the produce section because I've bought herbs there before. One way streets aren't so bad if you remember that they alternate -- if you can't get where you're trying to get, just go down to the next street and swing back. And the grocery stores in town all seem to have generous parking lots.

Of course, it's easy to say that it's easy because I don't drive
                                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                                X