Things we can't get here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we can't get here

The good thing about getting lost while driving in Hawaii is that you can't really get lost. Try it over here where I am and you could end up in Spain, or further.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Anapuni808, have you ever moved somewhere new? If so, then maybe you know how it feels to try to get used to new streets and stores. Yeah, maybe I'm making excuses somewhat, but I'm often LOST and it SUCKS, and people HONK at me, and I'm afraid someone will HIT me, or worse I hit THEM, because I don't know where I'm going!! Maybe you can understand.

If anybody wants to draw me a detailed map of where to go for whatever in Honolulu, starting in Kailua, complete with 'get back home' directions, that would be rad!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

When I first went to live outside of London, I freaked about driving....plus they drive on the other side of the road, over there. Plus it was cold and grey and I understood nothing of the people and even the accent was difficult to understand and I was having doubts about the boyfriend and I was homesick and....all I really wanted to do was to sleep or take hot baths or eat.

So I kicked myself in the butt and said to myself that at least I was gonna see a bit of England even if it killed me.

I got in the car and drove into London and got lost in the middle of the giant roundabouts and the traffic and the taxicabs and all the rest...and then I found my way out. And then I did it again. And again.

It got to the point that I decided to go somewhere and got up and went. I has lots of 'adventures' along the way. They look good in hindsight.

And I can tell you today that I know a bit about London. And I now can say that I'll manage to survive no matter where I have to live, or what bad decisions I make or doubts I have.

And those London adventures and their results are still with me today....when I bought our camper, it was located on the other side of France, and we had to go and get it. I'd never been on the other side of France and I'd never even been inside of a camper.

I grabbed the kids and the dog and we all got on a train and went to Avignon and got in that camper and drove it off...within three kilometers we were lost on a little lane and I had trouble turning around...that night we had no idea of where we were going to sleep and Kalani saw a row of campers parked on a bridge and we ended up in that line and I learned that campers can sleep anywhere...the next day we got lost on a mountain pass between a cliff and a river and had no way to turn around but to back up for miles along a windy road...and so on and on...

Just consider it an adventure. The more you get out and do it, the better you get at it.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          The good thing about getting lost while driving in Hawaii is that you can't really get lost. Try it over here where I am and you could end up in Spain, or further.
          LOL! You’re hilarious.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            Anapuni808, have you ever moved somewhere new? If so, then maybe you know how it feels to try to get used to new streets and stores. Yeah, maybe I'm making excuses somewhat, but I'm often LOST and it SUCKS, and people HONK at me, and I'm afraid someone will HIT me, or worse I hit THEM, because I don't know where I'm going!! Maybe you can understand.

If anybody wants to draw me a detailed map of where to go for whatever in Honolulu, starting in Kailua, complete with 'get back home' directions, that would be rad!
            of course i've moved somewhere new and have gotten lost! you aren't exceptional in that at all. but, i went to the bookstore, got myself a map of the city and began to use it. i also took the bus til i learned my way around more. try getting yourself a "thomas guide" - it has very good maps that are easy to read. they sell them at most bookstores.

and a little FYI - i've lived here over 40 years and there are still parts of honolulu that i would get lost in, not to mention other parts of the island. you've only been here a couple of months. be a little more patient - it's not easy to find your way around here, especially until you get used to the way we give directions. you are used to everything being north, south, east or west - we don't give directions that way. you're on an island - you aren't going to get "lost" - it may just take you a little longer to get home you can continue whining about it or have fun with it - it is what it is. one-way streets here are very well marked, freeway exits are well marked. and i'll bet that if you told one of the folks honking at you that you were lost, they would be happy to help you. and would probably apologize for honking.

now, i expect to hear about what you've cooked with those cumin seeds!!!! (see, now we're back on topic)
            Last edited by anapuni808; June 14, 2008, 10:23 AM.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post

do you know where big city diner is in kailua? what about first hawaiian bank? ford dealership? foodland is next to big city and behind first hawaiian and ford.

what about down to earth? have you been there yet? it's across the street from safeway. i'm postive i got the cumin seeds there. btw, they make some tasty potatoes using them.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Aww, thanks, Kani! I know where some of those places are, but right now I'm trying to get the 'big picture' of where I'm going, and remember where to turn to go where, and avoiding anything that might confuse me (like Kaapaa Quarry road, Anoi st, and Mokulele!)

I know I can't get really lost, and I know I will eventually learn my way around. It's just so darn frustrating right now! And what if I have an appointment or something? I have no idea how long it takes to get anywhere, or how much time to budget in there for getting lost. Everything is unfamiliar right now!

I do, however, know where 1st Hawaiian and the Dealership are! Thats where I turn for the Likelike or to jog up to Kahekile! (see, I'm learning!)

Cumin seeds, though...I'm used to paying 49cents for a half-pound bag of them in CA. Sure, I can get cumin seeds in lots of places, but for 5.99 an ounce here. Not what I'm used to.

I grew up on curry & rice, and I add cumin seed to everything except cereal!

Comment

okie dokie. gotcha.

careful when using kapa'a quarry road. it can be very dangerous! many accidents have happened there.

got an idea: if you have an appt. in town, maybe scout the area prior to that day?
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

then you're gonna love Foodland! I think the package, which is a few ounces, is around $1 - i didn't think to check the price for you. sorry.

just curious - do you live in Kailua or Kaneohe?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Kailua.

With gas around $4.30 per gallon now, I don't think I should go 'scouting'. But I'm surprised to hear about Kapaa Quarry accidents, cuz there's never a lot of traffic, but sometimes some pot-smoking kids.

I need to make friends with Foodland, it seems!

Comment

http://khnl.com/Global/story.asp?s=6369522

this is about another accident on kapa'a quarry road. there have been more since then. just be careful out there.

post script: foodland doesn't always have the cheapest things. in another post i stated that i had paid $3.99 for a single long squash which weighed no more than a 1lb and a half. at don quiote (spelling) they cost .69 cents/lb.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

you are totally correct - Foodland is not always cheapest. For me though, it is the most convenient and easiest to get to. and somehow, when I shop Safeway, I always feel like I got ripped off! So I go to Foodland, buy the stuff that is Maika`i discounted and get my 5% savings coupon. Because I ride the bus, convenience is a major part of my shopping decisions.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

At my last apartment, I lived right between a Safeway and a Foodland, but the way the bus ran, it was more convenient to go to Safeway, and usually cheaper too -- but the people at Foodland were always so nice to me that I'd often times choose to go there instead. Since I moved, Don Quijote is the easiest grocery, and I love their prices and selection, but it's definitely a different vibe.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              you are totally correct - Foodland is not always cheapest. For me though, it is the most convenient and easiest to get to. and somehow, when I shop Safeway, I always feel like I got ripped off! So I go to Foodland, buy the stuff that is Maika`i discounted and get my 5% savings coupon. Because I ride the bus, convenience is a major part of my shopping decisions.
                              our best friend works at foodland and is one of their managers so we shop there some times. most times it's where ever it's cheapest. we kailuans are quite spoiled having so many markets to choose from and whole foods will add to the mix. within a one mile radius we have: safeway, foodland, don quiote (spelling), down to earth and times and then there's the farmers' markets, too.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                Are we talking Tommy's on 19th in SF? Yummmmmm.
                                Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                oh my gawd - now you've made me very hungry! i was just thinking about that place a couple of days ago. they served the best burgers i have ever had in my whole life !!!!!
                                Actually, I'm talking about the Original Tommy's, a Southern California institution. Sadly, they have not expanded beyond L.A. and Orange Counties (with the exception of the store in, you got it, Las Vegas!)

But now you've got me curious. I was born in San Francisco and have lived in the Bay Area my whole life except for college, but I'm unaware of a Tommy's on 19th in the City. There's a Tommy's Mexican Restaurant on Geary (best tequila selection you're likely to see outside of Mexico) and there's Tommy's Joynt, a Hof Brau type pub on Van Ness Avenue. Have I been missing out on something?

Comment

Working...
                                X