Sharks at Kaneohe sandbar - video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharks at Kaneohe sandbar - video!

AMAZING video of a school of sharks at the sandbar today!!! The story -- and two minutes of video -- are at this link on KHNL's website.
    I just saw it on KFVE News At 9, and it'll be the lead story (or very close to it) on KHNL news at 10 in about 40 minutes. Surely will be on their morning show as well.
    AMAZING. And watch the idiots standing in knee-deep water just a few feet away from the frenzied sharks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh. My. GAWD.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Sharks at Kaneohe sandbar - video!

Im sorry....but I also saw that amatuer video, and in my most humble opinion, I must say NO WONDER there are shark attacks around the US. These real "akamai" people simply taunt and tease them....they are lucky that the sharks didnt take a defensive mode and go AFTER that buggah...NOW whos laughing....same goes for the turtles at Laniakea....they simply wanna mellow out and relax...look at all them tourists going close BEYOND the restricted zone just to take a pix and humuliate the turtles...auwe!

Comment

I watched it too, and WoW! It was amazing. I'm not sure how I would have reacted had it been me on that sandbar!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Definitely looked risky. I imagine a 9' shark could take a leg completely off. Even a small shark could give you a serious bite. And if one of them bit you and the others smelled the blood there might be nothing left but bones.

Things I've read say that Black Tip Reef Sharks aren't typically aggressive. I saw a pic from Hawaii that a guy took on a web site at pretty close range, maybe 6 or 7 feet away.

In the movie Into the Blue (with Jessica Alba ), they are swimming with some sharks in the Bahamas and the New England lawyer gets excited and wants out of the water. The local guy laughs at him and says they're a certain kind of shark and there's nothing to be worried about. Is it possible those guys were familiar with those type of sharks at Kaneohe?

Also, it said it was a school made up of a few different kinds of sharks. I wonder if that's common, or what it was about.

Comment

I've seen sharks while scuba diving on a few occasions and barracuda on plenty more. They're ALWAYS something you should take seriously & treat with respect - they're dangerous animals. Sure, Black-tips are less agressive then Tigers or Bulls, but they've still got nasty, sharp pointy teeth - to quote Tim the Sorcerer - and a brain the size of a walnut. They're all about instinctual behavior and you DON'T know what's going to trigger that. Sharks = splashing with a wounded fish and a wounded fish = dinner so the safest thing to do is LEAVE THEM ALONE!

Gah, that stuff bugs me. Sad thing is that group's far from being all tourists.
          "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
          Socrates.

Comment

That guy is a dumbass, imo. No respect for that animal and what it is capable of.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Nothing in either of today's newspapers. I'm quite curious to find out what kind(s) of sharks they were.

Comment

Those were Hammerhead sharks

They're not very aggressive and have small mouths, but still.....if a 9 foot long wild animal comes around, you really shouldn't just sit there and smile, especially if you're standing between the animal and open ocean. Or maybe the best thing do do was to stand there motionless until they decided to leave. Who knows

But man, what a great sight to see. I wish I was there to see it personally. From a boat, of course

DD
                www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                  Those were Hammerhead sharks

They're not very aggressive and have small mouths, but still.....if a 9 foot long wild animal comes around, you really shouldn't just sit there and smile
                  Yup. Contrary to what that shark expert says, I think they were all hammerheads, which are the most common species in Kaneohe Bay; with that really big one with the dorsal fin sticking out being the "mama". You can tell by the dorsal fin shape that that big one was a hammerhead.

If a tiger shark were present, it would have been much more likely to attack one of those >brilliant< bystanders.

Shark news always gets sensationalized in the media, and this amazing, very unique video of human/shark interaction, along with "Hawaii" will likely be shown on news stations and sites worldwide in the next few days as they find out about it.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Put these guys into a pen full of very large, agitated dogs and let's see if the reaction is the same.

Comment

it looks like he just stood there? jeez i would have done the same thing. no splashing, no running, just standing there repeating to myself "I'm invisible. I'm invisible. I'm invisible."
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

HEADS UP -- catch the KGMB news at 10 tonight (40 minutes from now). A friend of mine was fishing offshore today and came across a huge dead whale, serving as dinner for a whole bunch of sharks. He says some of them were Great Whites, and he's got a ton of experience so I guess I'll have to believe him. He claims the dead whale was 60' long. Seemed more like 40' to me, but.
                        He shot about 40 minutes of video, and gave it to a friend of his at KGMB. I saw some of the footage, and WOW! I was out on my boat today too, and now I know why he sounded so excited when he called me on the VHF radio as he was filming this.
                        Very very light wind today, so the ocean was as flat as the proverbial pancake, making the footage of the sharks really easy to see.
                        Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I just got home. If you miss it tonight at 10, I imagine KGMB will have it on their website in the morning.

Comment

I don't know if the footage aired last night, since I dozed off just before the 10pm news came on... but the new shark footage was the lead story on the 5pm news tonight!
                          I imagine it will also be the lead story again at 10pm, and I'd guess they'll also show it on their morning show.
                          Nothing on the KGMB website yet.

Comment

Okay, it's on KGMB's website at this link now.

Comment

Thanks for the link! That guy who had a close encounter out on the Leeward side was darn lucky that he was so observant.
                              I went kayaking out to the Mokulua's this week...glad I didn't spot any or I would have freaked!

Comment

Working...
                              X