Meet the Press' Tim Russert dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meet the Press' Tim Russert dies

Keith Olbermann has the same problem that Bill Moyers would have in hosting a show like MTP. The politicos would hightail it to the other networks in fear. Moyer's reputation of having an almost unfailing BS detector is well known and deserved. In Keith's case, his "special comments" on Countdown all have an over-the-top dramatic flair. Politicians (especially Republicans) would probably use them as excuses to snub MTP with the perpetual reasoning that they would be subject to unfair treatment and coverage.

People have scoffed at the idea of Chris Matthews hosting MTP, saying that he's too chatty and on some occassions, loses his cool. That is true, but then again, folks need to consider the fact that Hardball and Meet the Press are two vastly different kind of shows. Hardball not only has politicians, but a wide range of media personalities and talking heads. These would include some radio talk show hosts who are real blowhards and don't know when to shut up. The most recent example of Matthews getting gruff was with conservative radio host Kevin James, when the latter compared Obama's diplomatic stance in the Middle East to that of former British P.M. Neville Chamberlain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0d8ENS__c

Note that Matthews raised his voice,.... but only in response to Kevin James' yelling and nonsensical diatribe. That's the kind of stuff that Tim Russert would never experience on MTP.

Matthews is a good interviewer and moderator of roundtable type discussions on his self-titled NBC show on Sunday. This is not to say that he would be my first choice in succeeding Russert on MTP. But if by chance he is chosen, it's not as if he would be unworthy of the opportunity.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 17, 2008, 08:11 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

ET provides some touching coverage of Tim Russert’s memorial service. Hopefully such a heartfelt outpouring of support will help his family find some peace as they grieve the loss of a father, a husband, and one of America’s great journalists.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

I watched the services at Lincoln Center and there honestly couldn't have been a dry eye in that very large house...or mine. OMG. Once again, Luke Russert was amazing. And another amazing moment...Iz's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was played at the end and when everyone exited the Center there, awaiting them, was a double rainbow in the sky. C H I C K E N S K I N...

Comment

Tom Brokaw will hold the position through the November elections, NBC announced today.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Tom Brokaw will hold the position through the November elections, NBC announced today.
            Good or bad, the selection of Tom Brokaw, particularly in an election year, only adds more credence to New World Order conspiracy theorists.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Good or bad, the selection of Tom Brokaw, particularly in an election year, only adds more credence to New World Order conspiracy theorists.
              At least we can be reasonably sure that Brokaw will not refer to candidates by sleazy nicknames. I heard your boy, Chris Wallace, twice refer to Obama as "Fast Eddie" on today's Fox News Sunday. If this is the tone of discussion that Wallace would bring to MTP, then Russert would surely turn over in his grave.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

(Brian Williams, leading into a final Russert tribute at the end of Sunday's MTP)
                "This past Wednesday we said a final good-bye to a great man and a dear friend of ours beloved by so many, Tim Russert. We all gathered at the Kennedy Center here in Washington for a beautiful memorial service celebrating his spectacular, American life and when it was over we exited to a wonderful piece of music, a well known rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow..."
                This final tribute was edited to Iz's version which played under the entire piece. It was definitely a Kleenex moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  3) With all that said, Meet The Press will carry on. If NBC decides to look for a successor who is currently in-house, it will be interesting to see who they select. Andrea Mitchell and David Gregory immediately come to mind. If the network goes for a more youthful face, there's Chuck Todd.
                  Well as I predicted, David Gregory is the new permanent moderator of MTP. Big shoes to fill, following in the footsteps of the late Tim Russert. But in what I have seen in the last couple of Sundays, he's doing a great job in keeping MTP at the forefront over pretenders like Face The Nation and This Week in Washington.

Only negative I see is that I won't get to see Gregory every weekday on MSNBC hosting 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. anymore. But giving Gregory the opportunity to interview the real heavyweights on Sunday makes it all worth it!

Speaking of which, I wonder who the network will choose as Gregory's replacement on 1600? David Shuster has been filling in, but I don't know if he has been named the permanent host.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 14, 2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

what I have seen in the last couple of Sundays, he's doing a great job in keeping MTP at the forefront over pretenders like Face The Nation and This Week in Washington.
                    Frankly I am offended that you would refer to “Face the Nation” as a ‘pretender,’ now that Tim Russert is gone. We’ll see if Gregory can live up to his billing.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Just for refference, TuNnL...

...could you give us, what must be a very short list, of what doesn't offend you?

I may have some minor disagreement with FM's statement, but offended?
                      Hardly...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Oh, Tunnl's just miffed that Chris Wallace didn't get the MTP gig.

Comment

Oh, Tunnl's just miffed that Chris Wallace didn't get the MTP gig.
                          I’m not going to take the bait on that one, Frankie. My earlier statement is what it is. If you’re going to dismiss a very solid, legitimate news program like “Face the Nation” at a time when the state of television news is under siege, I think HT members would benefit from hearing some substance to the argument, rather then an opinion of personal taste.
                          Last edited by TuNnL; December 15, 2008, 03:07 AM. Reason: accuracy

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

I’m not going to take the bait on that one, Frankie.
                            Bait? That stuff about Wallace was a joke, Tunnl. Jeez!

Learn to lighten up a little. You'll live longer that way.

My earlier statement is what it is. If you’re going to dismiss a very solid, legitimate news program like “Face the Nation” at a time when the state of television news is under siege, I think HT members would benefit from hearing some substance to the argument, rather then an opinion of personal taste.
                            As if anything that you posted in this thread was anything but your personal opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X