Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Vehicle inspections net contraband
    KAHULUI, Maui — Hawaii Superferry vehicle screeners continue to intercept 'opihi, lobsters, dead bees, fishing nets and muddy trucks at ports in Honolulu and Maui.

State officials say the number of restricted items uncovered by screeners has grown with the increase in passengers aboard the new interisland ferry, which reported record bookings in May.

Although the contraband found by screeners violates state-imposed ferry operating rules, in most cases there were no violations of state conservation or agricultural laws.

In fact, only five citations were issued from April 11 to June 9 for violations, which included possession of undersized 'opihi and uhu (parrotfish), and possession of ogo with reproductive nodes or with "holdfast," which connects the seaweed to the seafloor, according to conservation and enforcement officers with the Department of Land and Natural Resources.
    Last edited by admin; June 15, 2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: As amply noted, do not copy and paste full articles. Excerpt and link.
    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Isn't there something about quoting stories in their entirety here? Best to post the lead and the link. One doesn't even know this is sucked off The Advertiser Website until they get to the bottom and see Christie's email link. Bad form, Island Guy. It actually looks like you wrote it until one scrolls all the way down.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      Isn't there something about quoting stories in their entirety here?
      Yes there is. Instead of quoting an entire story, a short excerpt is what is required and a link back to the site for anyone to read the entire story.

Since I don't moderate this section of the board, I'll send a note to admin who can fix this situation (edit the original post down and put in a link).

Quoting an entire story is a copyright violation.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        Isn't there something about quoting stories in their entirety here? Best to post the lead and the link. One doesn't even know this is sucked off The Advertiser Website until they get to the bottom and see Christie's email link. Bad form, Island Guy. It actually looks like you wrote it until one scrolls all the way down.

Click on HTML link IN RED above "quote" at TOP OF POST, you can plainly see its a URL

Read first, ATTACK later, it makes YOU look silly

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Yes there is. Instead of quoting an entire story, a short excerpt is what is required and a link back to the site for anyone to read the entire story.

Since I don't moderate this section of the board, I'll send a note to admin who can fix this situation (edit the original post down and put in a link).

Quoting an entire story is a copyright violation.
        <-- WRONG, clearly your no lawyer...

Look up "fair use copyright law" in google....
        http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy
          <-- WRONG, clearly your no lawyer...

First look up the board's usage FAQ:

Excerpt and summarize, but don't copy and paste. Very often, a news article or website can spark a great discussion. However, do not cut-and-paste the text of an article or reproduce other material in its entirety in your posts -- this often runs afoul of copyright rules. At most, quote one or two paragraphs that you think are the most interesting, then provide the link to the source for those who want to read the whole thing.
          And yes, I am not a lawyer, never said I was and most people here know I'm not.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
            Click on HTML link IN RED above "quote" at TOP OF POST, you can plainly see its a URL

Read first, ATTACK later, it makes YOU look silly
            I guess editing for typos covers this? I look silly? There was NO link when you first posted, only Christie's email. It looks a lot different now. I look silly in real life, but I'm at peace about it. You should edit your other post. You wrote "your" for what should have been "you're." Ah, it's all so silly. Just that silly FAQ regarding admin rules. Post something original and interesting. What do YOU think about something? Why post what someone else has written?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

wow, got some tempers tonight. Rough Fathers' Day, anybody?

Why do they ban fishing nets on the superferry? Nets seem harmless to me...
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                wow, got some tempers tonight. Rough Fathers' Day, anybody?
                Mel and Lavagal are right in this case. Sumthin' tells me it has nothing to do with Father's Day!
                Why do they ban fishing nets on the superferry? Nets seem harmless to me...
                Can't help you with that, turtlegirl, but glad to see you found your way home!

Comment

I think the nets thing is to try and prevent "illegal" net fishing on outer islands. Whatever that means.

I took the ferry a few weeks ago from Honolulu to Maui, and back. On Oahu, the car inspections seemed much more lenient than those on Maui. In Kahului I counted three armed DNLR officers who looked in all cars, and took particular interest in coolers. On Oahu, I didn't see any (not to say that there were none, I just didn't see them).

Inspections of the vehicles were also much more stringent on Maui. My car was checked twice before clearing the inspection area (although I think that was just because of an oversight by the multitude of people they had on hand to check vehicles -- there were two to three people per car for inspections).

But everyone was very friendly and courteous. Helluva a lot better than any TSA experience I've had at airports. Frankly, I don't think I'd ever fly between Maui and Oahu again. The ferry is a much more pleasant experience. I can't wait for service to start to the Big Island.

Comment

Since when are muddy cars contraband?!!

If this is really so, then things have gone too far and gotten WAY out of hand.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                      I put that link in there, when I deleted the majority of your cut-and-paste post. I've made similar corrections to previous articles you've copied to this site.
                      One, "fair use" does not apply for wholesale, full-piece reproduction. Two, you are posting these articles on someone else's site, and you can't invoke "fair use" rights anyway. Finally, legal precedent or not, HawaiiThreads' requirements for posting content from other sites is clear, and I've previously contacted you directly on this point.

A simple apology and change in habits is probably the best way to proceed from here.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        Since when are muddy cars contraband?!!
                        Not so much as contraband, but I have seen circumstances around the country where the underside and muddy sides of vehicles have to be washed off before traveling via ferry to more isolated land-masses, such as islands. Washing facilities (high-powered spray nozzles) would be made available at ferry landings to take care of this, to avoid the spread of invasive plants (such as milfoil), seeds, microbes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Not so much as contraband, but I have seen circumstances around the country where the underside and muddy sides of vehicles have to be washed off before traveling via ferry to more isolated land-masses, such as islands. Washing facilities (high-powered spray nozzles) would be made available at ferry landings to take care of this, to avoid the spread of invasive plants (such as milfoil), seeds, microbes, etc.
                          A smart small biz entrepreneur show get a concession out there on the docks. Quick hose down of car for X dollars.

Comment

The nets rule is there for the same reason as the crustacean and opihi rules, which prompted some thinking when I read the article in the paper, too. I mean, it's not illegal to bring that stuff back on the plane, but it's illegal on the SuperFerry.

Clearly, the rule exists simply to discourage people's going to neighbor islands on the ferry just to fish or to opihi (whatever the verb would be). I guess I can live with it, but laws like that are so stupid. If you want to make it illegal for non-residents to fish on your island, make it illegal. Don't make it legal to do it one way and illegal to do it another way.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I believe it's "pick opihi".

Actually it doesn't matter if you fly or take the SuperFerry to another island to fish (or pick opihi), it's more an economic feasibility to do it via the SuperFerry since you can haul your fishing equipment inside the car.

If you consume your catch on the island you caught it on then it's okay too.

Comment

Working...
                              X