Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da' Pidgin English Thread

Originally posted by drumorgan View Post
    As a keiki I had a record (yes, a vinyl LP) with Mother Goose nursery rhymes in pidgin. I think it had Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and some others. Anyone know where I can find that?
    you stay talkin' bout' Kent Bowman (aka K.K. Kau Manua) stories. Try check out Jellys, they might have, em.
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Opihimonster View Post
      Now I’m a Portagee and pretty fair skinned, so I can easily pass for one haole…
      Pass? Maybe you one Kama`aina, but Portagee is still haole.
      Haole = non-Hawaiian. No insult, but you not one native.

I really understand the subject of your post - Pidgen = power!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        Pass? Maybe you one Kama`aina, but Portagee is still haole. Haole = non-Hawaiian. No insult, but you not one native.

None taken. I fully understand the definition of the word. Believe its most closely translated to "foreign".

I think you would agree that "haole" has taken on a somewhat connotation of white, Caucasian or tourist. By definition, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos are all foreigners or non-Hawaiian, but you don't generally hear them referred to a haoles.

And of course Hawaii is also one of the few places that Portagees are broken out from other Caucasian ethnic groups, due to their contemporary island history.

It's all good braddah!

Comment

Originally posted by Opihimonster View Post
          None taken. I fully understand the definition of the word. Believe its most closely translated to "foreign".

I think you would agree that "haole" has taken on a somewhat connotation of white, Caucasian or tourist. By definition, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos are all foreigners or non-Hawaiian, but you don't generally hear them referred to a haoles.

And of course Hawaii is also one of the few places that Portagees are broken out from other Caucasian ethnic groups, due to their contemporary island history.

It's all good braddah!
          I agree. 'Haole' in Hawaiian is 'foreigner,' but in Pidgen it means something a bit different. No argument.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X