Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Default Water: Tap or Bottled?

I heard that bottled water sales are going down in favor of drinking from the tap because of the economy and being more eco-friendly. I mostly drink from the tap when I'm here, but always drink bottled water when I'm outside of Hawaii. I think I have an immunity to the germs in Hawaii, but if I drink from the tap from another place. I fear The War of the Worlds unfamiliar germs could kill me.

Default Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

mostly drink tap. but, do on occasion buy bottled. have you ever noticed that some bottled water tastes better than others? i, for instance, don't care for dasani, but like crystal geyser or hawaiian isles.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

I drink bottled 'cause we get the water from the St. Clair river and ummm...we down river from chemical valley in Canada....

http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2005/1...arniasmoke.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/10...a2f1bc.jpg?v=0

And don't EVEN think about eating the fish!!!

Eh - get whole naddah t'read on dis hea, too.

Exclamation Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I heard that bottled water sales are going down in favor of drinking from the tap because of the economy and being more eco-friendly. I mostly drink from the tap when I'm here, but always drink bottled water when I'm outside of Hawaii. I think I have an immunity to the germs in Hawaii, but if I drink from the tap from another place. I fear The War of the Worlds unfamiliar germs could kill me.

Most people dont realize it, but 85% of bottled water is from THE TAP!

Dont believe me?

see http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...ater121003.cfm

Also a DEFINATE MUST READ IS http://waterindustry.org/Water-Facts...ed-water-1.htm

Snippet ".... As part of a two-pronged strategy for stricter regulation, the Environmental Law Foundation of Oakland filed a lawsuit Tuesday to stop eight bottlers from selling or advertising in California unless they post consumer warnings on their product labels about the presence of harmful chemicals.

The lawsuit, which is based on the NRDC's test findings, accuses the companies of engaging in unfair business practices, violating state health and safety rules and making false advertising claims about the purity of their water.

The water bottlers named in the suit are major producers: Crystal Geyser Water Co. of Calistoga; McKesson Water Products Co. of Pasadena, producers of Alhambra and Sparkletts; Safeway Inc.; Lucky Stores Inc.; Ralphs Grocery Co. of Compton; Vittel Inc., a division of Perrier Group of America, in Stamford, Conn.; Volvic, produced by Resurrection Enterprises of Santa Cruz; and Apollinaris, a German import.
    Industry representatives vigorously denied the allegations and berated NRDC for putting an alarmist spin on its test results.""""
    Last edited by islandguy; June 19th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Eh - get whole naddah t'read on dis hea, too.

eh, leo? tanks. but, yoa reply belongs in da oddah pidgin kine tread
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Lightbulb Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    mostly drink tap. but, do on occasion buy bottled. have you ever noticed that some bottled water tastes better than others? i, for instance, don't care for dasani, but like crystal geyser or hawaiian isles.
    Dasani comes from a municipal source (translation: tap). Crystal Geyser has been accused of the same, but their web site denies it. Don’t know about Hawaiian Isles, but when I do drink bottled water, I choose Evian, a mineral water. This type is bottled at a source that is geographically and physically protected, and some would say, more natural then purified water (translation: not from tap).

That being said, I rarely drink bottled water. The bottle fee gets really expensive for a 24 or 35-pack, not to mention how bad it is for the environment (manufacturing, recycling, and transportation all require energy. Fiji water has been crucified for their operation.) That doesn’t mean I trust my tap water. I use a Brita pitcher.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

We drink tap water filtered through a Britta. Delicious!

Ofa 'atu
    Mui Houma

Tap water for me. I read an article long ago that said that the minerals in tap water were actually good for you. When I lived in Eugene the tap water there tasted so sweet you would swear someone had sweetened it. Years later I read that the Eugene water passes thru a natural deposit of arsenic, which imparts a sweet taste. Oh well. Maybe our bodies need small amounts of arsenic. At least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    We drink tap water filtered through a Britta. Delicious!

Ofa 'atu
    Mui Houma
    IIRC, you live in Mexico. If so, that Britta is one heckuva good product!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    IIRC, you live in Mexico. If so, that Britta is one heckuva good product!
    Actually, the water is quite good here. We will be taking the Britta to Hawai'i with us. The Britta is a good product and makes great tasting water.

what iz dis product of which you speak?
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Britta Water Filter in many different sizes and models. Available at Costco, Target, WalMart and on line. We have the smaller refrigerator model, which is more than enough for two people for a day. Fill it with about a gallon of water and it filters through the element, which lasts about three months. You have great tasting, filtered water in about 10 minutes. Consumers Reports rated it a "best buy" in their water filters report.

I guess I should be posting this on the "best products" thread.

I think bottled water is disgusting. I only drink tap water.

Weird, I know...

There was a clean drinking water advocate who used to write to Hawaii's newspapers letters to the editor section. I saw his obituary one day. Is there somebody that continued his cause? It's good that there's a watchdog watching for any wrongful practice.

I live in Tucson right now, so drinking tap water is not really an option--it's really disgusting, thick and has a horrible flavor. I won't buy bottled water anymore either because of the waste of using a plastic bottle to have a sip of water, plastic leeching into the water when it gets warm and the fact that I don't really know where that water comes from or what's in it.

I refill 5 gallon bottles from my local water purification facility--yes, I have to haul it home in my truck but it tastes great, is cheaper than bottled water or delivery and lasts a long time. I then refill a reusable water bottle to take with me when I go to work or go out.

I guess I just can't justify the waste of fuel and energy it takes to get a bottle of water to me from California, Fiji, New Zealand or wherever.

Water from the tap in Hawaii actually tastes OK to me.....

Tap here. Bottled there.

Quote Originally Posted by cezanne View Post
    Tap here. Bottled there.
    Word, brother. Word. lol

Tap water in Waikiki is soft and clean as far as I can tell, and I have no fear of drinking from the tap or using ice from my unfiltered refrigerator's automatic ice maker. Taste as good as the filtered bottled stuff to me.

The tap water in Las Vegas has a distinctive chlorine smell and taste, but I still drank it. Now I glow green like money. lol

If you're unsure about the potability of your tap water, there are home test kits available.

The "HI 5" 6 cents recycle fee makes buying bottled water - especially the smaller-sized bottles by the case - discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    The "HI 5" 6 cents recycle fee makes buying bottled water - especially the smaller-sized bottles by the case - discouraging.
    The bottle tax is the main reason for me to stop buying bottled water on a regular basis. Not that I bought much of the stuff before the tax was implemented in 2004, but since then I have rarely bought any bottled water nor drinks in cans like soda or juice... and I am not a beer drinker... not sure if that tax impacts beer and other alcoholic beverages.

Just a reminder, that for every 6˘ the state takes from you, you only get 5˘ back if you or some other person or entity turns the bottles/containers in for a redemption. The state still pockets a penny to build up their huge special fund, ready for raiding the next time the Legislature thinks the State is short of money for something else.

Again because of new, higher taxes, the cost of living in Hawaii is higher than it was in 2004.

Tap water is good!

As I mentioned in LAST summer's bottled-water thread, I recently developed a sensitivity to the taste of my tap water at home. It's got a metallic flavor I find difficult to handle, 'though I confess that lately, I am more likely to drink it anyway because of rising costs of other stuff (the sale prices of bottled water have remained fairly stable). I keep a few bottles of my own tap water in the fridge for when I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty enough that even metallic water will do.

I still buy and drink bottled water. I am unconcerned about the bottle tax, 'though as I have said, I am not sure it does what we consumers want it to do. I have not yet been convinced of the benefits of recycling, especially recycling plastic bottles that have to be shipped back to the mainland for recycling; however, one wonderful benefit of the bottle tax is that the small part of me that suspects recycling is the way to go no longer feels guilty when I don't recycle! Since everyone else is doing it, my few bottles per week will make no difference at all in the landfills (considering things on a global scale) if they even make it to the landfills, since I usually either dump bottles into other people's recycling bins or throw them in trash cans that I know are regular stops for bottle scavengers.

We do have some of the best tap water on the planet in Hawaii, but my house is excluded from that generalization.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Question Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I have not yet been convinced of the benefits of recycling, especially recycling plastic bottles that have to be shipped back to the mainland for recycling
    Wow, is this true?! I had no idea. I was under the impression that major Hawai‘i recyclers like Reynolds Recycling were a stand-alone operation. I guess we don’t really think about these things once we’ve traded our bags for nine bucks and change.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Yes. We have no recycling facilities in this state, unless you count HPOWER, which is a form of recycling, if you ask me.

I'm not as anti-recycling as I used to be. We get a lot of ships coming in with cars, toilet paper, and rice. Those ships have to go somewhere when they leave this place, and what are we really shipping out that has to compete for space with our trash? My guess is those boats probably leave grossly underloaded. But that is just a guess.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

okay now that i'm grossed out by bottled water. well, i'm going to stick to tap when possible. now where the heck did i put that britta pitcher? found it. but, shucks no filter.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

This thing really works. No other solution necessary. I still rarely drink water. You know what fish do in that stuff?
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

I use filtered water from my KitchenAid fridge for coffee. I find the dispenser too slow most times and just use tap water for everything else.
    Speed is the deciding factor. You can take the girl out of New York but...
    I was sick off and on for about three months after I moved here. I suppose I just wasn't used to clean.
    I have adapted nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast