Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Default Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Tap if I made rent - hose if I didn't
    Aloha!

Geebz

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

a bunch of us at the office agreed to split the cost of water from hawaiian isles water company. it came in yesterday, and honestly, despite my coworker's hailing of the whole reverse osmosis/multiple filter thing they do, the water tasted...unnatural (!) to me--kinda like when you buy a new plastic thermos and the plasticky taste hasn't been completely washed out before you use it. maybe the unit is new and stuff needs to flush out, i have no idea. but if i go on taste alone, i'd rather drink the stuff from the bathroom tap (which my coworker derisively calls "toilet water") after i've put it through my pur filtered pitcher.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

we have been introduced to Kangen water.

read here: http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com...t-or-myth.html

i still have my reservations so we'll see.....

Retired 3 dot columnist, Eddie Sherman, is involved in Hawaii Deep Blue bottled water...a product of Hawaii. Has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Retired 3 dot columnist, Eddie Sherman, is involved in Hawaii Deep Blue bottled water...a product of Hawaii. Has anyone tried it?

we've tried it....not something i would purchase ever again..noticeable swelling in feet after 32 oz or so and then if you partly freeze it...when it starts defrosting you can REALLY taste the saltiness. and it wasn't pleasant at all!

Thumbs up Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Definately tap water for me.

In some countries, there are people who don't have the option of getting pure water coming into their homes from pipes underground. We are so lucky to have that!! Yay, tap!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_cons...tap-water.html

6th is good enough to drink from the tap.

I grew up drinking from the tap. Still do. Now we have a fridge that has a water dispenser on the door, so I usually fill up my water bottle from that. Back before I had bought two sports bottles I use now, I used to buy a bottle of water, then save the bottle and refill it just to have the bottle to drink from.

I could not stand the taste of the tap water in Iroquois Point. They have iron pipes there, so we got a Brita pitcher. Problem solved. My in-laws here have well-water, which isn't safe for drinking, so I buy two big bottles before we go visit. But otherwise- I don't get the bottled water only people. My husband's like that, but he just doesn't like the "taste" of water. Water doesn't HAVE a taste unless the pipes are iron or it's well-water. So he puts Crystal Light in it. Weirdo.

Can't think of anything creative this time

My favorite water is Kahalu`u tap water. Sweet, smooth and soothing.
    Bottled water is bland, flat and uninteresting.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

I have a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter that I use for making colloidal silver. The meter measures the parts per million of any contaminant part per million parts of water. Hawaiian brand distilled water typically measures at 3 parts per million (PPM), although distilled water is supposed to be 0. the purified water by reverse osmosis from a dispensing machine at 99 Ranch Market measures 16-17 PPM. The Kirkland purified water at Costcos measures at 6 PPM. Tap water is in the ballpark of around 250 PPM. Unfortunately, when using the Britta filter, it only reduces the PPM by around 20-30 PPM's. So the Britta water comes out to 220-230 PPM. Not that much difference from ordinary tap water. Our tap water is fairly good to begin with.

The cities with better quality drinking water above Honolulu were Arlington, Texas; Providence, R.I.; Fort Worth, Texas; Charleston, S.C.; and Boston.
    Maybe that's why the water here doesn't bother me! Those are both not too far from our water source. But I'm curious as to why if the water in Honolulu is so great, why did the water at Iroquois Point taste like sh#@? Do old iron pipes really make that much of a difference? Because I am NOT a picky water drinker, but that water made me gag. Even smelling it in the toilet once literally made me throw up.

What makes me gag is seeing so many users of Menehune bottled water
    I worked at the Halawa plant one day years ago and I've made a point of not touching the stuff since. I'd suggest you consider doing the same.

Wink Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

for me here in Texas I have to have purified water I can taste the chlorine in the tap water here so it will be bottled for me I guesse but when I am back at home in Hawaii why spend money on bottled water when the water coming out of the pipe is sooooo good

Tap water for me. I think it's ridiculous how much money people waste on bottled water and how much trash is produced...all for a product that is often inferior to a free product readily available.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

Did anyone else ever think there was a difference between "kitchen" water and "bathroom" water when they were kids? I always thought bathroom tap water was colder, but some of my friends would only drink water out of the kitchen tap. Husband and I were talking about this the other day and laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    I worked at the Halawa plant one day years ago and I've made a point of not touching the stuff since. I'd suggest you consider doing the same.
    Would you mind sharing what you saw?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    yeah me too. If Menehune water is that bad I think we should know just what processes are in place. If it's bad enough for you, it's bad for everyone else.

So what is it about Menehune Water that is so repulsive?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Question Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

*BUMP*

Yeah, I want to know what's so wrong with the Menehune Water, too!

I'm sorry, I didn't see the 2 earlier requests until now.
    Understand, I worked there 1 day, but it was enuf to see obvious problems as part of my grunt duties were to clean floors thoughout the work areas, and load filled bottles into trucks.
    Basically, the place is an unclean warehouse with a lack of sufficient worker training, quality control, and supervision, allowing virtually anything to happen. The rule of thumb was, "if you see anything in the water, say something". Not for public safety, but for damage control.

Post Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

Question...Water: Tap or Bottled?

Answer: We have both an under-counter filter(cold water only) that I replace every 6 months and Menehune Water(Of Course!) delivery.

Works for us.

Just remembered to say that I wipe the bottle with a wet paper towel well before placing it.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    I have a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter that I use for making colloidal silver. The meter measures the parts per million of any contaminant part per million parts of water. Hawaiian brand distilled water typically measures at 3 parts per million (PPM), although distilled water is supposed to be 0. the purified water by reverse osmosis from a dispensing machine at 99 Ranch Market measures 16-17 PPM. The Kirkland purified water at Costcos measures at 6 PPM. Tap water is in the ballpark of around 250 PPM. Unfortunately, when using the Britta filter, it only reduces the PPM by around 20-30 PPM's. So the Britta water comes out to 220-230 PPM. Not that much difference from ordinary tap water. Our tap water is fairly good to begin with.
    http://health.msn.com/healthy-living...tap-water-safe

Does that mean a Britta filter won't make tap water more pure?

There was the case of brackish water underneath a portion of the Ala Moana
    parking lot.
    When that corner fell into a sort of cavern it raised a lot of hackles.
    Peering into that hole one could see waves , and some say,
    small sharks.
    Luckily the repair staff were very skilled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12