Water: Tap or Bottled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water: Tap or Bottled?

I heard that bottled water sales are going down in favor of drinking from the tap because of the economy and being more eco-friendly. I mostly drink from the tap when I'm here, but always drink bottled water when I'm outside of Hawaii. I think I have an immunity to the germs in Hawaii, but if I drink from the tap from another place. I fear The War of the Worlds unfamiliar germs could kill me.

Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

mostly drink tap. but, do on occasion buy bottled. have you ever noticed that some bottled water tastes better than others? i, for instance, don't care for dasani, but like crystal geyser or hawaiian isles.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I drink bottled 'cause we get the water from the St. Clair river and ummm...we down river from chemical valley in Canada....

http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2005/1...arniasmoke.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/10...a2f1bc.jpg?v=0

And don't EVEN think about eating the fish!!!

Comment

Eh - get whole naddah t'read on dis hea, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          I heard that bottled water sales are going down in favor of drinking from the tap because of the economy and being more eco-friendly. I mostly drink from the tap when I'm here, but always drink bottled water when I'm outside of Hawaii. I think I have an immunity to the germs in Hawaii, but if I drink from the tap from another place. I fear The War of the Worlds unfamiliar germs could kill me.

Most people dont realize it, but 85% of bottled water is from THE TAP!

Dont believe me?

see http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...ater121003.cfm

Also a DEFINATE MUST READ IS http://waterindustry.org/Water-Facts...ed-water-1.htm

Snippet ".... As part of a two-pronged strategy for stricter regulation, the Environmental Law Foundation of Oakland filed a lawsuit Tuesday to stop eight bottlers from selling or advertising in California unless they post consumer warnings on their product labels about the presence of harmful chemicals.

The lawsuit, which is based on the NRDC's test findings, accuses the companies of engaging in unfair business practices, violating state health and safety rules and making false advertising claims about the purity of their water.

The water bottlers named in the suit are major producers: Crystal Geyser Water Co. of Calistoga; McKesson Water Products Co. of Pasadena, producers of Alhambra and Sparkletts; Safeway Inc.; Lucky Stores Inc.; Ralphs Grocery Co. of Compton; Vittel Inc., a division of Perrier Group of America, in Stamford, Conn.; Volvic, produced by Resurrection Enterprises of Santa Cruz; and Apollinaris, a German import.
          Industry representatives vigorously denied the allegations and berated NRDC for putting an alarmist spin on its test results.""""
          Last edited by islandguy; June 19, 2008, 07:24 PM.
          http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Eh - get whole naddah t'read on dis hea, too.

eh, leo? tanks. but, yoa reply belongs in da oddah pidgin kine tread
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              mostly drink tap. but, do on occasion buy bottled. have you ever noticed that some bottled water tastes better than others? i, for instance, don't care for dasani, but like crystal geyser or hawaiian isles.
              Dasani comes from a municipal source (translation: tap). Crystal Geyser has been accused of the same, but their web site denies it. Don’t know about Hawaiian Isles, but when I do drink bottled water, I choose Evian, a mineral water. This type is bottled at a source that is geographically and physically protected, and some would say, more natural then purified water (translation: not from tap).

That being said, I rarely drink bottled water. The bottle fee gets really expensive for a 24 or 35-pack, not to mention how bad it is for the environment (manufacturing, recycling, and transportation all require energy. Fiji water has been crucified for their operation.) That doesn’t mean I trust my tap water. I use a Brita pitcher.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

We drink tap water filtered through a Britta. Delicious!

Ofa 'atu
                Mui Houma
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Tap water for me. I read an article long ago that said that the minerals in tap water were actually good for you. When I lived in Eugene the tap water there tasted so sweet you would swear someone had sweetened it. Years later I read that the Eugene water passes thru a natural deposit of arsenic, which imparts a sweet taste. Oh well. Maybe our bodies need small amounts of arsenic. At least I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    We drink tap water filtered through a Britta. Delicious!

Ofa 'atu
                    Mui Houma
                    IIRC, you live in Mexico. If so, that Britta is one heckuva good product!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      IIRC, you live in Mexico. If so, that Britta is one heckuva good product!
                      Actually, the water is quite good here. We will be taking the Britta to Hawai'i with us. The Britta is a good product and makes great tasting water.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

what iz dis product of which you speak?
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          what iz dis product of which you speak?
                          Britta Water Filter in many different sizes and models. Available at Costco, Target, WalMart and on line. We have the smaller refrigerator model, which is more than enough for two people for a day. Fill it with about a gallon of water and it filters through the element, which lasts about three months. You have great tasting, filtered water in about 10 minutes. Consumers Reports rated it a "best buy" in their water filters report.

I guess I should be posting this on the "best products" thread.

Comment

I think bottled water is disgusting. I only drink tap water.

Weird, I know...

Comment

There was a clean drinking water advocate who used to write to Hawaii's newspapers letters to the editor section. I saw his obituary one day. Is there somebody that continued his cause? It's good that there's a watchdog watching for any wrongful practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X