Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritating Movie Goers

Thumbs down Irritating Movie Goers

The thread about Iron Man and folks who read discussions about ANY particular movie and expecting to have "spoilers" hidden brought this subject to mind.

Do you have a friend, family member or spouse that you go to the movies (or make that NO LONGER go to the movies) with who absolutely drives you NUTS with their behavior in the theater?

Those who..

• Gets up to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
    • Or the concession stand every 30 minutes.
    • And/or when they do decide to go, it's always during the good part?
    • Loudly ruffles their popcorn, mochi crunch and/or candy packages
    • Talks (loudly) to the characters in dialog on screen
    • Crunch food loudly
    • Slurp drinks loudly
    • Plays screen games with their laser pointer
    • Taps/hits you on the shoulder constantly and says, "Oooh! Oooh! Watch this part! Watch this part!

My friend said he knew a guy who not only would say, "Oooh! Watch this part!". But would also COUNT DOWN when that "part" was about to happen, like this...
    OK, OK, watch this, watch this! OK.. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 1!!!!!"

WTF!???

Default Re: Irritating Movie Goers

I've been known to tell that person going in/out every few minutes to sit down, watch the movie or just leave. I've also been known to insist that the person next to me stop texting on their phone. I usually sit on the end of a row because of a disability and it's really irritating to have to tolerate "AHDD" type movie goers. I'm not very polite to obnoxious folks at the movies! This is why I no longer go to movie theaters and instead, wait for the DVD.

No - but when we went to see "Memoirs of a Geisha," I had to request that the AF (who is very knowledgeable in Japanese culture) not point out any issues or discrepancies during the showing of the film, to wait until after.

I'm under a permanent injunction to follow the same instructions during films that have scenes in broadcast or recording studios, record stores, live concerts, etc. ("High Fidelity" & "Good Night and Good Luck" come to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    No - but when we went to see "Memoirs of a Geisha," I had to request that the AF (who is very knowledgeable in Japanese culture) not point out any issues or discrepancies during the showing of the film, to wait until after.
    Now that you mention that, I'm pretty bad about pointing out how "fake" a movie scene appears due to poor CGI, special FX, cinematography, script, or acting. My girlfriend hates when I do that.

Things that I find irritable when attending movies in a theater:

• Parents who bring crying babies to movies
    • The few parents who don't leave when their baby is crying
    • Latecomers who get in after the movie starts rolling
    • Latecomers who want to sit in the empty seats next to me
    • Having to stand up to make room for the latecomers to get into the same row of seats I'm in
    • Cell phone ringing even after several notices appear on screen asking to turn off the phone
    • Sticky floors at some theaters
    • People in the back rows who throw objects at people in the front rows
    • Smelly homeless people who sit near you at the dollar theater
    • The dollar theater projectionists who turn off the ending credits at the end of the movie
    • Kids who make noise or fidget near you when movie is running
    • Increasing cost of movies
    • Ridiculous cost for concession food
    • Going to see the big blockbuster movie at the big megaplex theater only to find out they moved it to one of the smaller screens in the same building. (I miss my Cinerama theater)

For these reasons, I don't go to the movies as often as I used to. It is much more convenient to just wait for the DVD release and watch it at home.
    I'm still here. Are you?

All of these reasons are why I hate going to the movies. I used to love to go but it seems decorum has gone out the window. Two other reasons keep
    me away, I have physical issues now that prevent me from sitting long and the
    fact I cannot stand the sound of other people eating. Also and I know it
    is a bad thing to say but the smell of rice cracker snacks with whatever
    is on them makes me nauseous. The last movie I was brave enough to see
    in public because I was anxious was Ratatouille not a good choice as I don't do well with children and the one in back of me kicking my seat was really
    trying my patience. Finally the mother yelled at her but it was way too long
    in coming. I even went really early to avoid a crowded place.

I wait for the DVD to come out since I have great booze here and my own
    bathroom and furniture that's comfortable.

Mo Humbug Stuff:
    Creepy guy who sits by you when there's a lot of empty seats in the theater.
    Creepy guy who makes small talk with you before the movie starts.
    A moviegoer who constantly uses obscenities when that's supposed to be said by the actors on screen.
    Don't go to a movie when you're sick and have uncontrollable coughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Mo Humbug Stuff:
    Creepy guy who sits by you when there's a lot of empty seats in the theater.
    Creepy guy who makes small talk with you before the movie starts.
    lol!

Ever had "creepy guy" make small talk with you when you're in the men's bathroom using the urinal? "How's it goin'?" Now THAT's creepy.

This must be the same Creepy Guy who pulls out his penis durng the film. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Unless he's your date and does the popcorn box trick like that scene from Diner.

Default Oh gee, uh..., sorry, k?

I didn't know I was such a bother doing all that stuff?!

Talking Re: Irritating Movie Goers

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    I'm pretty bad about pointing out how "fake" a movie scene appears due to poor CGI, special FX, cinematography, script, or acting. My girlfriend hates when I do that.
    And the worst...when your date or fellow moviegoer announces what is going to happen next.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

When I see one or more people in the big theater room where I watch my movie, I'm already irritated.

There should be an exclusive elite membership benefit that allows someone like me to watch the movie in the big theater room by myself (or with two dates maximum).

I haven't seen anyone use a laser pointer in a movie for a long time (it happen quite often in the 1990's) and I hope it stays that way.

I am guilty of going to use the restroom in the middle of a movie but that's kind of rare event for me. Likewise if the person I go to a movie leaves in the middle of the movie to use the restroom I don't hold it against them, but to be fair it too is also a kind of rare event.

The one that shakes my head is when someone suggest we go see a movie and then during that movie they fall asleep during the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    There should be an exclusive elite membership benefit that allows someone like me to watch the movie in the big theater room by myself (or with two dates maximum).
    lol. I like that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    The one that shakes my head is when someone suggest we go see a movie and then during that movie they fall asleep during the performance.
    Oh yeah. That's a major irk. My mom is famous for renting a movie that SHE wants to watch, then falls asleep halfway through it.

It would be interesting to hear folk's irks at the drive inn movie theater. I sure miss that. We used to go to Kailua Drive almost every weekend. You'd probably hear stories like, "I hate when the couple in the car next to me starts making their OWN movie", or "I hate when braddah's jacked-up 4x4 truck parks in the stall right in front of me".

I remember once, an elderly couple drove off with the speaker still hung onto their car window, and it ripped the wire right off the post. Made this loud, snapping sound. Surprising their window didn't break first. It was hilarious!

It's already been mentioned, but I hate it when someone has some kind of candy in a wrapper and they unwrap it really slow. It's like they think that a little at a time will be less disruptive when they should just unwrap it as quickly as possible. Go ahead. Make some racket. But get that wrapper off.

I also don't like people who talk during the movie. A couple of words here and there is no problem, but conversation is distracting.

Finally, I don't like it when people sit right in front of me if there are plenty of other seat choices available. It's not an issue with stadium seating, but some theatre floors don't have much incline. And I'm tall. It must be a real headache for people of more average height.

The AF cannot possibly keep quiet for 2 hours. Therefore, any movie we see together comes with a running side line of "ooohs", "ahhhs", "what happened?", "Is she gonna die", and a number of other comments and questions. After 12 years, I've given up asking her to shush.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Everyone within 30 feet of me.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    My mom is famous for renting a movie that SHE wants to watch, then falls asleep halfway through it.
    With a rented movie you can always replay with no problem, whereas in a movie theater if they want it to see it again, got to pay extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    As long as that someone is paying for my expensive ticket ... and my snacks ... I have no problem.

You must be in the wrong theater ... or maybe he is.

My pet peeve is people sitting behind me and constantly bumping the back of my chair. I want to turn around and bump them in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    You must be in the wrong theater ... or maybe he is.
    I was going to ask if she was referring to an audience member, or someone in the film...

(in your best "Beavis & Butthead" voice: Hunh-hunh! Audience "member"! Hunh-hunh!)

On a psycho-tropical vacation avoiding rehab.

It's really bad that I've been spoiled by theaters like Ward because until recently I've never set foot in the Dollar Theater. The Boy had to drag me along because we've been broke as of late and he wanted to see a movie.

There's nothing more annoying than a mother who brings her tiny infant child (carrier and all), decides to sit in front of you, and baby proceeds to cry during the WHOLE MOVIE. Sure, it's a dollar to see the movie, but give me a break. They need to bring back that crying baby cartoon they used to show before the start of the movie.

Then you have the theater jumpers who show up 30 minutes before your movie's set to end because their movie just ended.

The Dollar Theater has a "different" kind of atmosphere and I don't know if I'm okay with that.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I was going to ask if she was referring to an audience member, or someone in the film...

(in your best "Beavis & Butthead" voice: Hunh-hunh! Audience "member"! Hunh-hunh!)
    The movie might have been in 3-D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast