Zip Lane Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Lane Change

I heard on the news that come July, people will need at least 3 people per vehicle to use the zip lane because it takes as long to use the zip lane as the "regular" lanes with the current traffic. I wonder if it really make more people carpool or if the change will defeat the purpose of the zip lane?

Zipper Lane Change

Originally posted by Adri View Post
    come July, people will need at least 3 people per vehicle to use the zip lane because it takes as long to use the zip lane as the "regular" lanes with the current traffic. I wonder if it really make more people carpool or if the change will defeat the purpose of the zip lane?
    I don’t see how it could “defeat the purpose.” Clearly, the purpose of the HOV lane is to reward those who carpool with an exclusive lane of traffic that moves faster.

Right now, they are not realizing that reward. But instead of penalizing those who are already using it with this new requirement, the state should add another HOV lane. This would achieve additional carpoolers without punishing those who were already doing their part.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Zip Lane Change

I thought there already was an HOV lane in addition to the zipper lane. No?

I've been hearing bits and pieces of the argument (I live in Kalihi and work near the airport, so I'm nearly immune to daily traffic woes), and my humble opinion is that this is the right move. Higher gas prices, which have affected us all, have undeniably resulted in more people making use of public transportation. If the goal of HOV lanes and the zipper lane is to get people to pursue alternate modes, including carpooling or taking the bus, this seems like a good plan. The zipper lane was never meant to ease traffic for all by removing carpoolers to a separate lane, but to encourage people to do what it takes to get INTO that lane. Critics seem to say it won't work, but it seems to me that it's already working if more people are taking the bus.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

They shouldn't have changed from 3 to 2 to 3 again. It pisses off those that are now used to the zipper (more road rage), and will ascerbate the regular flow problems. But the zipper will fly now, so maybe it will have an impact on getting a majority of 2fers to find another rider. But, then we're back to the current situation...
        It does come down to the bottleneck areas that will continue to stop it all up.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I thought there already was an HOV lane in addition to the zipper lane. No?
          Yep. Far left is the original HOV lane and still is.

Comment

I guess by "defeat the purpose" I mean that the zip lane was made to encourage people to carpool but if it's too humbug for people to coordinate with 3 people, they may just not carpool at all. But it's a good point that with rising fuel costs, many people will want to save on gas.

Comment

Another way to look at this is that it encourages vanpools. There is a HOV on the 10 freeway in LA east of downtown that did the same thing years ago. Went from 3 to 2, then it got clogged. Express buses were no longer express. So they went back to 3 and stayed with it. Express buses were express again. I think with the implementation of 3 on the Zipper, they need to step up enforcement and perhaps put in a few more express bus routes.

Comment

I carpool with my mom, sometimes to some inconvenience, and liked having the Zipper Lane as an option. Part of me is definitely bummed that the occupancy requirement is going to bump us out, but I actually think it's a good idea. Is it a hassle for most single drivers to find and coordinate two other passengers? Sure. But the reward should be that much greater.

The reason for this change is exactly my primary problem with the Zipper Lane, which is the fact that it's usually slower than the regular lanes -- at least at 6 a.m., which is usually when I'm on the road.

But oddly enough, even though I know the Zipper Lane actually gets clogged during peak traffic (and apparently backs up worse than the regular lanes), the problem I have at 6 a.m. is actually a bit different. At that earlier hour, I get annoyed at people who get into the Zipper Lane then poke along at 45 m.p.h. all the way into town. This when people in the regular lanes are tearing along at much higher speeds. I mean, if you want to drive slow, more power to you, but why take the route that forces other people to pile up behind you?

Anyway. I think the 3-person Zipper Lane and the 2-person HOV lane are great options and motivators for carpooling. I mostly want more enforcement! Even though I support rail, I've often said that I think traffic would improve much faster if they invested just a portion of those millions of dollars on ticketing carpool scofflaws and ensuring that the traffic improvement measures we already have are actually working!

Comment

From the bus I can see that more than half the cars in the HOV lane have only one person in them. Many of them are bold enough to drive in a two seat truck in the HOV lane. There are many military single drivers in the HOV lane. I think they need to repaint the lane and educate people.
                  just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    But oddly enough, even though I know the Zipper Lane actually gets clogged during peak traffic (and apparently backs up worse than the regular lanes), the problem I have at 6 a.m. is actually a bit different. At that earlier hour, I get annoyed at people who get into the Zipper Lane then poke along at 45 m.p.h. all the way into town. This when people in the regular lanes are tearing along at much higher speeds. I mean, if you want to drive slow, more power to you, but why take the route that forces other people to pile up behind you?
                    if it were me and/or eric behind such a driver, we'd help alleviate the backlog and reinforce good, legal, and judiciously expedient driving by honking.

not everyone is up to that form of civic duty, however.

back OT--i concur: requiring three occupants in a vehicle on the zipper lane = good.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Carpooled this morning from Mililani to town, departing at 5:45 a.m. Opted to take the HOV lane rather than the Zipper lane. We enjoyed a sustained speed of mumblemumble and passed 26 cars in the Zipper Lane between the H-2 merge and the airport, many of which, again, seemed platooned behind pokey drivers (who were going, at best, maybe 50 m.p.h. downhill).

And the Zipper Lane after the airport? A losing proposition. They allow left turns eastbound on Nimitz, so folks in the Zipper Lane are actually held back longer than drivers on the regular side. We probably past another 50 cars during that stretch.

Boosting the occupancy requirements? Great. But I think slow drivers in the Zipper Lane are a big part of the problem. They should allow passing.

And I still think the city should invest in more enforcement. And everyone knows you can drive solo in the HOV lane between {x} and {y} because there's no place to get pulled over. They should at least allow HPD-run photo ticketing from overpasses or something!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        And I still think the city should invest in more enforcement. And everyone knows you can drive solo in the HOV lane between {x} and {y} because there's no place to get pulled over. They should at least allow HPD-run photo ticketing from overpasses or something!
                        Agreed on more enforcement but no need for photo ticketing. Just good old fashion bike cops, tag along till you get to a place good for pulling over. Do that a few rounds and watch the word spread that they are enforcing HOV rules.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                          From the bus I can see that more than half the cars in the HOV lane have only one person in them. Many of them are bold enough to drive in a two seat truck in the HOV lane. There are many military single drivers in the HOV lane. I think they need to repaint the lane and educate people.
                          What makes you think they are military?!? Just because they have a DoD sticker on their windshield is not a tell tale sign of a military member. Everyone (civilians, contractors, military) who has access to military installations has a DoD sticker affixed to their front window.

Comment

So...anybody out there who actually used the 3-person zip this morning?

Comment

We can no longer use the Zipper Lane, which is a bummer, but as I noted above, I hope they stick with this change and provide real incentive for more ambitious carpooling. At 6:30 this morning, Zipper Lane drivers were definitely moving faster than the general lanes in Pearl City.

Only by the airport did we start passing them... again because they were stuck behind an older couple in a white 2000-ish Toyota Corolla that was poking along at maybe 45 m.p.h.

I can describe the car because, I think, I've gotten stuck behind them more than a few times!

Comment

Working...
                              X