Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 304

Thread: Digital TV Over The Air

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Digital TV Over The Air

    Channel 5.1 is now displayed as 23.1, putting it in a numerical range I don't usually cycle through. What's up? (Ewa locale)
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    I think most of the DTV channels are actually on the UHF spectrum of the broadcast dial.

    Code:
    KFVE          HI HONOLULU                  USA             (Digital)
    
      Licensee: KHNL/KFVE LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC
      Service Designation: DS   Special Temporary Authority (digital)
    
      Channel: 23     524 - 530 MHz  
      File No.:   BDSTA-20041012AKF     Facility ID number: 34445
      CDBS Application ID No.: 1020492
    
       21 22' 55.00" N Latitude              
      158 06' 19.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
    Source link

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Aren't UHF reserved for low-powered TV stations?

    If so, non-cable, non-dish, OTA folks in Kaunakaka'i are going to have a hard time catching good receptions.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I think most of the DTV channels are actually on the UHF spectrum of the broadcast dial.
    Yes, but their signal is supposed to 'tell' the receiver to display the desired number (in this case, 5.1). I think that's also the only channel not currently displaying program information.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Sounds like KFVE's PSIP generator had a brainfart. Since most people don't watch TV OTA anymore, they likely don't even know that it has occurred.


    BTW, most DTV stations are and will continue to be UHF after the analog shutdown in Feb. '09. But for those in Maui County because of the move off of Haleakala most stations there will do a "flash cut". They will shut off the analog signal and use the same frequency for the DTV station.

    KHON, KITV and KMEB will "flash cut"
    KGMB will use UHF 24 remapped as 3.1
    KHNL wll use UHF 16 remapped as 15.1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    BTW, most DTV stations are and will continue to be UHF after the analog shutdown in Feb. '09. But for those in Maui County because of the move off of Haleakala most stations there will do a "flash cut". They will shut off the analog signal and use the same frequency for the DTV station.

    KHON, KITV and KMEB will "flash cut"
    KGMB will use UHF 24 remapped as 3.1
    KHNL wll use UHF 16 remapped as 15.1
    Where do you get your info? If on the internet, what's the link?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Try this FCC link. It has all of the TV frequencies in Hawaii listed, both analog and digital. It's possible that not all the information there is totally up to date.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Rabbit Ears www.rabbitears.info/market.php but they get the info from the FCC which you can also search at fcc.gov.


    #073 Wailuku, Hawaii
    KGMV DT CBS 03 24 24 2476' 77.0 kW DA 20080219BJM Wants to flash-cut TV-03 to DT-24 in 09/08, but will likely be delayed.
    KAII DT FOX 07 36 07 2470' 3.69 kW DA 20080219AOH Plans to flash-cut on 02/17/09.
    KMEB DT PBS 10 30 10 2450' 21.2 kW DA 20080214AGE Awaiting FCC action.
    KMAU DT ABC 12 29 12 2450' 9.00 kW DA 20080219ANV Plans to flash-cut on 02/17/09.
    KOGG DT NBC 15 16 16 2683' 50.0 kW DA 20080219BIY Awaiting environmental permit.
    KWHM DT IND 21 45 21 2421' 40.7 kW DA 20080219AVY Will flash-cut on 02/17/09.

    Here's Oahu:


    #073 Honolulu, Hawaii
    KHON DT FOX 02 08 08 -39.' 7.20 kW ND 20080219AOX
    KITV DT ABC 04 40 40 3.28' 85.0 kW DA 20080219AMT
    KFVE DT MyN 05 23 23 1463' 5.40 kW DA 20080219BIO
    KGMB DT CBS 09 22 22 2063' 40.0 kW DA 20080219BJO Requests to stay on DT-22.
    KHET DT PBS 11 18 11 2050' 28.7 kW DA 20080214AGG Will halve analog power 06/08, then flash-cut 02/17/09.
    KHNL DT NBC 13 35 35 1486' 5.90 kW DA 20080219BIJ
    KWHE DT IND 14 31 31 16.4' 20.1 kW DA 20080219AWA
    KIKU DT ETH 20 19 19 1988' 216. kW DA 20080214AHS
    KAAH DT TBN 26 27 27 1893' 1000 kW DA 20080219AJV
    KBFD DT ETH 32 33 33 -118' 49.6 kW DA 20080211AFI Analog operating at low power.
    KALO DT IND 38 10 10 1899' ???? kW DA 20080219AVX What a mess.
    KWBN DT IND 44 43 43 1893' 22.0 kW ND 20080219AIC
    KKAI DT IND 50 -- 50 1223' 12.0 kW ND 20080219AGN Will flash-cut ASAP.
    KUPU DT IND 56 -- 38 226.' ???? kW ND 20080219AWB Involved in KALO's mess, but will be on DT-10 or DT-13 most likely.
    KPXO DT ION 66 41 41 2073' 34.0 kW ND 20080212ADS

    Hilo:


    #073 Hilo, Hawaii
    KHBC DT NBC 02 22 22 -558' 8.00 kW DA 20080219AXE
    KLEI DT ION 06 25 25 2857' 2.50 kW DA 20080219AGM
    KGMD DT CBS 09 08 09 -292' 1.55 kW ND 20080219BJN Will flash-cut in 10/08.
    KHAW DT FOX 11 21 11 100.' 3.35 kW DA 20080219APQ Will flash-cut on 02/17/09.
    KHVO DT ABC 13 18 13 -302' 2.00 kW DA 20080219AOF Will terminate TV-13 02/13/09, terminate DT-18 and activate DT-13 02/17/09.
    KWHH DT IND 14 23 23 108.' 14.9 kW DA 20080219AWC

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    And where did you get the info on the relay transmitter on Maui?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    If you are referring to the stations transmitters being relocated off of Haleakala, here is a link to KITV's most recent FCC filing which briefly details the situation: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...ibit_id=642636

    But an internet search at this site, Star-Bulletin and AVS forums will give a more detailed explanation of the reason why.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Thanks for the link. Been wondering if the local news made any mention about the move to Ulupalakua Ranch on Maui.

    BTW, since KHNL and KFVE are sister stations, why is it so hard to watch KFVE (or its Maui callsign K27DW) in Kaunakakai yet KHNL (or its Maui callsign KOGG) is broadcasting so clear and strong?

    Any chance will KIKU and KBFD collaborate to build a station transmitter on Maui? I'm missing my japanese and korean drama.

    --say NO to cable or dish.

  12. #12

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Thanks for the link. Been wondering if the local news made any mention about the move to Ulupalakua Ranch on Maui.

    BTW, since KHNL and KFVE are sister stations, why is it so hard to watch KFVE (or its Maui callsign K27DW) in Kaunakakai yet KHNL (or its Maui callsign KOGG) is broadcasting so clear and strong?

    Any chance will KIKU and KBFD collaborate to build a station transmitter on Maui? I'm missing my japanese and korean drama.

    --say NO to cable or dish.
    K27DW is a low-power translator station whose transmitting power isn't that strong. KOGG, on the other hand, is a full-power TV station that transmits with over 14x more power than K27DW.

    So in theory KOGG's signal can reach further than K27DW. And if you can catch both KOGG and K27DW, chances are KOGG is much clearer because it transmits with more power.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by l14dap View Post
    K27DW is a low-power translator station whose transmitting power isn't that strong. KOGG, on the other hand, is a full-power TV station that transmits with over 14x more power than K27DW.

    So in theory KOGG's signal can reach further than K27DW. And if you can catch both KOGG and K27DW, chances are KOGG is much clearer because it transmits with more power.
    Can KHNL provide them with more power or do they have to go through red tape with getting FCC approval?

    So, it's still more of the same as analog broadcasting. "The more things change, the more they stay the same," eh? Sighs.

  14. #14

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Can KHNL provide them with more power or do they have to go through red tape with getting FCC approval?
    Yep, red tape.

    The FCC limits how much power a transmitter can give off... they can even limit what direction to beam the signal. I think that rule is in place mostly for the mainland so that there is minimal interference between two stations 100+ miles apart that happen to be on the same channel.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by l14dap View Post
    Yep, red tape.

    The FCC limits how much power a transmitter can give off... they can even limit what direction to beam the signal. I think that rule is in place mostly for the mainland so that there is minimal interference between two stations 100+ miles apart that happen to be on the same channel.
    So, what ridiculous rules apply to the mainland also apply to us?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    No channel reception 9.1 all weekend long, c'mon. Also, noticed channel 2 seems to have discontinued OTA analog broadcast.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    No channel reception 9.1 all weekend long, c'mon. Also, noticed channel 2 seems to have discontinued OTA analog broadcast.
    =======================
    ch 2 analog is temporarily down for repairs.
    I have not noticed any problem with 9.1 OTA. I am in Waipahu, near Walmart. Try rescanning your TV? These things get "Alzheimers" sometimes. They forget how to decode the channel data, then you gotta slap'em around to wake da buggah up again....figuratively speaking.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Here's the problem with re-scanning - not only did I lose recognition of 9.1 as a channel, but I also lost RF23.1 (which is channel 5 in DTV). So, not only did I not gain 9.1, but I lost '5.1'. On my other tuner, it previously recognized 9.1 as 22.1, but I still get no picture there. Maybe there's a directional issue involved.

    P.S. - Oops, the antenna was moved when the window screens were cleaned. That seems to have caused my outage. I really need a new antenna.
    Last edited by salmoned; July 21st, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by DNR55 View Post
    =======================
    ch 2 analog is temporarily down for repairs.
    At this point the obvious question is WHY!?

    94% of people on this island have cable/dbs and only 6 months til they shut it down anyway.

    They should just file with the FCC to keep analog off for the stated reasons and turn in the license.
    Last edited by Ninja; July 21st, 2008 at 12:32 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    At this point the obvious question is WHY!?

    94% of people on this island have cable/dbs and only 6 months til they shut it down anyway.
    Because the 4% of us are stubborn to keep OTA analog signal until then.

    And if you so much as to arrogantly suggest we get cable or dish...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    No I am not suggesting that you get cable/dbs.

    I am only suggesting for Oahu where you can get KHON in digital.
    If you want to continue to receive KHON apply for the coupons and get a converter. You are going to need one anyway plus you will add the CW as well for free.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    No I am not suggesting that you get cable/dbs.

    I am only suggesting for Oahu where you can get KHON in digital.
    They still need to transmit the analog signal to Maui's relay transmitter so that folks in the East End of Molokai, including Kaunakakai, can receive their KHON on Channel 7. They shut off that signal on Oahu, nothing will be received and bounce toward us.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Here's the problem with re-scanning - not only did I lose recognition of 9.1 as a channel, but I also lost RF23.1 (which is channel 5 in DTV). So, not only did I not gain 9.1, but I lost '5.1'. On my other tuner, it previously recognized 9.1 as 22.1, but I still get no picture there. Maybe there's a directional issue involved.

    P.S. - Oops, the antenna was moved when the window screens were cleaned. That seems to have caused my outage. I really need a new antenna.
    Well, it's all back now, so I guess it wasn't my antenna after all...
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Still same channel 5 problem, still no 9.1 (I doubt it's my antenna, since I had reception before for months, now no reception for over a month), and now 13.1 displays channel programming for tomorrow instead of today (at least they starting displaying SOME info). Any hope for a time signal that matches among the channels?
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Still same channel 5 problem, still no 9.1 (I doubt it's my antenna, since I had reception before for months, now no reception for over a month), and now 13.1 displays channel programming for tomorrow instead of today (at least they starting displaying SOME info). Any hope for a time signal that matches among the channels?
    ==================
    That is strange. What are you using for an antenna?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •