Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Digital TV Over The Air

Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

As of July 27, 12:00 midnight (i.e., last night), we lost all digital TV broadcasting signal OTA. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I thought it might be the Ulupalakua transmitter on Maui but according to my converter box, I still get some kind of strong signal there; and by strong, I mean around 70-80%.

Again, does anyone know what's going on? Is it Maui or more close to the source signals?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Same thing up here in Pukalani, Signal no data. They share the same fiber optic cable with Oceanic when they relay the signals from Oahu to Ulupalakua. There is a break in the line between Molokai & Lanai.

Question Re: Digital TV Over The Air

So, we get our signals from cable and not OTA from Oahu to Maui/Ulupalakua, correct?

The story of what happened is at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Angry Re: Digital TV Over The Air

I was up at the time, I connect to the internet through a wireless router (RR) in the main house.Both OTA & RR went down at same time. HMM!

Well, it seems OTA signals have been restored, but I CANNOT believe that this could be connected to Oceanic's underwater cable problem.

I'm just glad I got my broadband internet service from Hawaiian Telcom. They continued uninterrupted all through yesterday (Tuesday July 27). What is even sweeter than having DSL from HT? I got a "Loyalty Upgrade," bumping my high-speed internet from 3Mbps to 7Mbps at NO additional cost.

Random et al,

The reason the OTA stations were affected on Maui and BI is that we fiber our signals from Oahu to Maui and BI using the same fiber that failed. We moved from a microwave based delivery to the fiber when we moved to our new site since we cannot "see" microwave from Oahu at the new site and it would have taken a microwave chain to deliver the signals...including getting permission to keep one link near our old site on Haleakala...which was problematic.

Mike

Is anyone else having problems on Oahu tuning in to channel 2.1/2.2? I haven't been getting their signal since the cable damage. First, it was no signal at all, now it's just extremely low signal (4 to 16/100) which never rises to flashing a picture on screen. All other channels are fine.

Random, how did you qualify for that upgrade? I'd sure like it, too.
    Last edited by salmoned; July 29th, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Unhappy Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Random et al,

The reason the OTA stations were affected on Maui and BI is that we fiber our signals from Oahu to Maui and BI using the same fiber that failed. We moved from a microwave based delivery to the fiber when we moved to our new site since we cannot "see" microwave from Oahu at the new site and it would have taken a microwave chain to deliver the signals...including getting permission to keep one link near our old site on Haleakala...which was problematic.

Mike
    Ah. I get it. So if this happens again, we OTA viewers are in the same boat as the Oceanic subscribers, even if we don't subscribe.

Random,

The fiber we lease is from another division of Time-Warner, not Oceanic Time-Warner Cable, but in this case the fiber was being used by both the broadcasters and Oceanic.
    Doesn't mean that whenever they have a problem that we would necessarily be affected.

Mike

The damaged fiber is co- owned by TW Telecom and Wavecom Solutions (formerly Pacific LightNet). TW Telecom was partially owned and founded by Time Warner Cable. However, they were spun off a few years ago and is an independent entity now.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Ahh, "We know the rest of the Story"

KGMB,KHNL,K5 Have been off on OTA since Midnight 8/5, Any one knows whats up with that?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

so much for Over the Air.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

So I see some physical changes have occurred or are in progress on the Century Center (old KHON analog) and the KGMB towers (old KGMB-DT, KHON-DT & KHET-DT) last week. Does anyone know what the plans are for those sites? It sure would be nice to see more DTV broadcasting from town.

Red face Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Strange problem on maui with 13.1/13.2 KHNL/KGMB. On my Philips TV with digital tuner wont get the 2 channels listed. All I get is Signal/No Program. However when I go thru an RCA DT800B1 they are there. Anyone else has this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by toddk968 View Post
    So I see some physical changes have occurred or are in progress on the Century Center (old KHON analog) and the KGMB towers (old KGMB-DT, KHON-DT & KHET-DT) last week. Does anyone know what the plans are for those sites? It sure would be nice to see more DTV broadcasting from town.
    The KGMB tower is slowly being dismantled a piece at the time near Makaloa Street. If you walk by there you can see workmen climbing up or suspended from the tower taking things apart. The entire property is being re-developed as a new retail complex.

Don't know about the old KHON tower, but I suspect that one could be coming down too.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauibuzz View Post
    Strange problem on maui with 13.1/13.2 KHNL/KGMB. On my Philips TV with digital tuner wont get the 2 channels listed. All I get is Signal/No Program. However when I go thru an RCA DT800B1 they are there. Anyone else has this problem?

Yes, same kinda' problems here in Wailuku.
    I think it might be something with transport stream(?) because my one year old Visio can display the guide data, but says No Video or Audio. My friends 3 yr old Samsung is working fine, but his 3 other, newer, Sharp/ProScan sets don't work.
    I guess it's time to let them know at KHNL.
    Last edited by tvhawaii; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

E-mail sent to:
    Engineer On Call- Miles Miyahara
    Telephone: (808)- 843-3619
    Fax: (808)- 845-3616

E-mail: mmiyahara@hawaiinewsnow.com

More strange KHNL/KGMB OTA problems, still same problem with Philips DTV tuner.Now using RCA converter box, strange audio problems on 13.1/13.2 no main audio,but you can hear the laugh tracks/background music only. It seems the OTA KHNL/KGMB problems are getting worst. Thanks tvhawaii for posting the e-mail address.

Smile Re: Digital TV Over The Air

As of 10:30 this morning KHNL/KGMB have been up and running normally.Thanx tvhawaii for the post of Miles e-mail, He responded very quickly and is a true professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauibuzz View Post
    As of 10:30 this morning KHNL/KGMB have been up and running normally.Thanx tvhawaii for the post of Miles e-mail, He responded very quickly and is a true professional.
    You are welcome. And I agree...it's refreshing to have someone who is willing to take the time to communicate with us instead of leaving us scratching our heads while we look at a blue/black screen.

WTF Kgmb/Khnl, What happend with the OTA signals on Maui County monday night! During H50?(Season Ending) You guys really have a problem. How come KFVE went off but came back earlier.

Angry Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Bummer, yeah was? Then I figured to go online. BAM! CBS website for Hawaii 5-0 had the last episode with very few commercials. So I was behind less than 10 minutes since the tv went off, but from the time I logged on to the CBS website, I watched the whole show until just a little after 10 pm.

I don't know what's up with this OTA stuff and KGMB. The most important time and it blacks out.............pissed me off.

Hey, MAUIBRUDDAH! Yea I was pissed too when it went off OTA. I was able to switch to "snowy analog 27"or I think someone from Time-Warner sabotaged the Ulupalakua transmitter, Or maybe it was the Governor!...To Be Countinued.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast