Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Originally posted by Doctah View Post
    Not sure what you mean. When Savoy/Fox bought KHON in 1996, they took away the Fox affiliation from KHNL and put it on their own Channel 2, since Fox was KHON's new co-owner. That's how KHNL took the NBC affiliation.
    Ahh, it was explained differently to me...thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

What OTA channels do you get in Hilo?
      All we are getting is 6 channels:

4.1 NBC
      4.2 Weather
      9.1 KGMD (no signal all day today in the rain)
      11.1 KHAW
      11.2 KHAW
      14.1 KW - Mostly Religious

I am only using a cheap pair of rabbit ears with the RCA DTA800B1 converter.

Was wondering what others received here in Hilo, before buying a better antenna. We were really hoping for FOX.
      A proud sponsor of
      http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

KHAW 11.1 is supposed to be KHON 2's Hilo relay, which carries Fox Network programming.... "The Simpsons" "American Idol", etc.

KHAW 11.2 would be KHON 2.2 in HNL and carries the CW network.

If you are looking for Fox News, well that is only on cable.

KWHH 14.1 is LeSea and mostly religious... though they air "Hawaii Five-0" and some old re-runs around 3 to 7 pm.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
          What OTA channels do you get in Hilo?
          All we are getting is 6 channels:

4.1 NBC
          4.2 Weather
          9.1 KGMD (no signal all day today in the rain)
          11.1 KHAW
          11.2 KHAW
          14.1 KW - Mostly Religious

I am only using a cheap pair of rabbit ears with the RCA DTA800B1 converter.

Was wondering what others received here in Hilo, before buying a better antenna. We were really hoping for FOX.
          Do you guys have a relay transmitter(s) on the Big Isle? Or are you using Maui's?

The local FOX and CW channels are the weakest of all the TV signals in the state. I'm using a rooftop antenna with the same converter box you have and installed a signal amplifier for a 10dB gain, and it shows the signals on the antenna meter as being no more than 30% strong.

My recommendation is get a TV signal amplifier for less than $30 at any Radio Shack or electronic store.

EDIT: Interesting. You don't have the local NBC channel. I don't recall the NBC/KHNL having a weather sub-channel. Only ABC.
          Last edited by Random; February 4, 2009, 11:29 AM.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            EDIT: Interesting. You don't have the local NBC channel. I don't recall the NBC/KHNL having a weather sub-channel. Only ABC.
            KHNL 13.2 used to have NBC Weather Plus, but that channel shut down. Wikipedia has an entry on that.

I noticed that the Honolulu high power analog channels had no signals today. I guess three weeks of the 'what to do if you still didn't get a DTV receiver' program was enough.

On the DTV side, does anyone in the know have any information on whether the broadcast stations plan on improving their DTV signals? In Palolo Valley, we used to get the 6 VHF and some UHF channels, but now we only receive 3 to 5. Antennaweb.org says we should only get one, so I guess I'm lucky?

Comment

• Re: Digital TV-KHET (PBS) Change

FYI if you cannot see KHET (PBS) off air today, it is because they changed frequency. You have to rescan your digital tv.

Comment

• Re: Digital TV-KHET (PBS) Change

I live in the Ward area and was able to receive KHET-DT on RF18, now that they are back on RF11 can't lock the signal at all. So this isn't an improvement for my reception.

Comment

If you haven't seen this blog page yet you may wish to follow it.

http://leslienotes.typepad.com/digital_dialog/

I live in Haiku on Maui and still do not have KHNL or KFVE.

I may get a better antenna or an amp or a higher pole to raise the antenna, but my budget prohibits that. Many people in rural areas across the country have lost their channels with this "transition. Its very good for cable and satellite providers.

Comment

Originally posted by ongre View Post
                    If you haven't seen this blog page yet you may wish to follow it.

http://leslienotes.typepad.com/digital_dialog/
                    Terriffic blog...and so refreshing to see how forthcoming and open Steve is. I wish some other networks would do something similar so we'd know wtf is going on with 'low signal strength', 'missing channels', etc.

Originally posted by ongre View Post
                    I live in Haiku on Maui and still do not have KHNL or KFVE.
                    I may get a better antenna or an amp or a higher pole to raise the antenna, but my budget prohibits that. Many people in rural areas across the country have lost their channels with this "transition. Its very good for cable and satellite providers.
                    Again, KFVE seems to be ignoring us on Maui and who knows what their plans are.<sigh>
                    For what it's worth, I have a friend halfway up Olinda Rd. who has the best antenna and amp he could find, for sale. He used to get KMEB weak, but after the transition, not at all. He bought the antenna/amp as a last ditch effort to no avail.
                    It's a Winegard HD7698P and a Channel Master CM-7777. If interested, send me an E-mail at tvhawaii@shaka.com

--Michael

Comment

Okay, I realize only a small minority of viewers are dependent on OTA signals, but it is quite vexing that PBS has been providing inadequate PSIP programming information for more than a month. Often the electronic program guide is blank from 6:30pm until midnight and then continues from midnight on - when OTA broadcast is switched off! Has some capable volunteer (or employee) recently been let-go and caused this gaping maw of inattention to detail?
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Okay, I realize only a small minority of viewers are dependent on OTA signals, but it is quite vexing that PBS has been providing inadequate PSIP programming information for more than a month. Often the electronic program guide is blank from 6:30pm until midnight and then continues from midnight on - when OTA broadcast is switched off! Has some capable volunteer (or employee) recently been let-go and caused this gaping maw of inattention to detail?
                        ================
                        10:30pm tonight-Waipahu, Village Park ...
                        I see psip here.

Comment

Yes, PSIP program information is shown, but not every program is always included. Just the other night, after 9:30 pm, the next program listed was for Charlie Rose at midnight (no need mention that the channel is off-the-air after midnight, too, meaning every listing after midnight [but before the station returns in the morning] is erroneous). Also, I often see 'PBS programming' as the listing, instead of the ACTUAL program title. My newspaper listing suffers from the same problem, but only for PBS. Do I really have to go online to find correct & complete program information for PBS?
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Bumped --

OK - Here we are 10 months after the digital TV transition. Today marks a somewhat major change in digital TV reception if you are a KGMB KHNL and KFVE viewer.

As of this morning 2 of the 3 channels changed positions on the dial.

KGMB is now at 5.1

KFVE is now at 9.1

KHNL remains at 13.1

The station IDs on the digital channel readout still shows the old call letters. KFVE for 5.1 KGMB for 9.1.

So, hows the reception and channel line up on the neighbor islands?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• OTA - can't pick up KHNL or KGMB in Kakaako

I disconnected the expensive cable & got a WinTV (USB->computer) receiver/PVR.
                              With the included cheap antenna, pick up everything except KHNL/KGMB.
                              Bought a better digital VHF/UHF antenna - still no KHNL/KGMB.
                              I'm on 19th floor apt in Kaka'ako.
                              Tried going to window - even putting antenna outside the window, playing with positioning, etc. but best I can do (with antenna dangling out the window) is see that the channels are there, but never enough signal to view.

Interesting that both KHNL/KGMB websites now have no contact info. Phone book # goes to automated system that does have an option about reception issues, goes to engineering/voicemail but there are no return phone calls. Apparently they won't even talk to the Star*Bulletin:
                              http://www.starbulletin.com/business..._programs.html

I can watch some of the NBC/CBS programs via MSNBC.com and CBS.com, but forget about local TV when it comes to KGMB/KHNL? Or am I missing something - is there something I can do to receive these channels OTA?

I guess I did this after recent KFVE/KGMB crazy switch - so, I can get really good signal from KFVE but have no desire to watch anything on that station.

Comment

I'm getting so sick of digital television. For two weeks in a row I've not been able to watch House on Fox because the channel either doesn't come in at all or it comes in unviewable with choppy or often missing audio and pixelated picture. We've tried retuning the television. The television is a newer digital ready, and we've tried it with and without converter box. Nothing helps. The most frustrating part is the fact that before last week it came in mostly fine, and suddenly it's not working.

We live out in the country where cable television isn't even available, and satellite is unpractical because of all of the trees. I don't know if it's a matter of "grass is always greener" but it seems like I had a lot less problems with over the air tv before we switched to digital. I remember at one house I could only get Fox in black and white but that was still more watchable than choppy and pixelated.
                                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                                X