Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

I'm in Haiku (On Maui.). I have cable, but stay prepared for the times cable goes out... I scanned into the KGMV signal early in the week and of course tonight I rescanned to pick up what I could.
    The UHF KGMV is pixilating sometimes but is basically viewable. KITV is very strong the weather thing is a waste of a channel, does anyone care what the mainland weather is like in such detail, constantly. PBS is strong, but a kids program 24 hours a day? I can hear it now; "Darn it kid go to bed, its 3:00 am for heavens sake!!!"
    So far no KHON (Ch 7) or KHNL/ KFVE (KOGG at Ch 15) to bad, so sad. Also if KWHM is religious, it will be deleted, don't want the kids exposed to such cult activities. Its dark so far, I mean THAT dark, not THAT dark. Wait I take that back; Hawaii 5-0 is on that station isn't it? A cult activity if there ever was one, Huh? It will stay on.
    I use an old remounted VHF/UHF antenna for receiving with a DTV Pal by Dish that I got on line into a very cheap 19" Television. Its really windy here tonight, normally the mountaintop stations would glitch or even lose their power, so far they are hanging in there except the KGMV Ch 24 UHF signal that is going off and on reception wise.
    I'll give it some days to see if the other stations come on before I order a preamp of some sort and maybe raise the antenna somewhat.
    The best line in this whole forum is "Kaaawa is Hawaiian for 'bad radio reception' I wish I'd have said that.
    I hope there are some different signals to see, but I won't hold my breath. TV is and always will be a vast wasteland.

Comment

OK, pulled the cable again tonight, rescanned the DTV to analog converter box.

Picked up KGMB and KWBN in addition to what I caught the other night.

Here is my updated channel list:

(Honolulu area, condo, near Ala Moana Center)

2-1: KHON (Fox)
      2-2: KHON (CW)
      4-1: KITV (ABC)
      4-2: KITV (Accuweather)
      4-3: KITV (nothing on)
      5-1: KFVE (no signal; box tells me to move antenna)
      9-1: KGMB (CBS)
      13-1: KHNL (NBC)
      13-2: KHNL (nothing on)
      14-1: KWHE (LeSea)
      26-1: KAAH (TBN)
      26-2: KAAH (Church Channel)
      26-3: KAAH (JCTV)
      26-4: KAAH (TBN enlace)
      26-5: KAAH
      32-1: KBFD (Korean)
      38-1: KALO (religous)
      43-1: KWBN (Daystar; no sound, nice picture)
      66-1: KPXO (ion)
      66-2: KPXO (Qubo)
      66-3: KPXO (ion life)
      66-4: KPXO (worship)

Still missing: KHET (PBS), KIKU (Japanese), KFVE

So it looks like I have almost the full anchilada here. I have been told KGMB is still broadcasting from Kapiolani and will move farther away from me sometime next month.

I may go back to Big Island first weekend of February to hook up the 2nd box on my Mom's TV. The reports from Molokai look promising. Will keep reading net for reception reports out in Hamakua.

It looks like that if you are getting a signal, digital is better than older analog because when you get a signal, for the most part the picture and sound are clear... of course when you don't have it, you get nothing.

With the TV stations offering sub-channels on their frequencies, digital OTA is a fairly good alternative to basic and standard cable, especially when you factor in that you only pay for the hardware once and do not have to put up with subscription fees from the cable or satellite TV company.

I think I will upgrade my antenna, get the A-B switch and for now keep my set up as a dual standard cable and OTA digital set-up.

This will all look better if and when I get an HDTV set with a built in digital tuner.

re: KITV Weather - I think the local channel should offer a constantly updated feed during severe weather warning periods for Hawaii.
      Last edited by mel; January 15, 2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: added link
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
        Hey Random,

Glad you can see us...there is nothing on 4.3...reports we are getting from Maui/Molokai is that our signals are better in some areas than expected. Makawao was thought to be problematic, but they are seeing us my the elementary school in Makawao. I also got a report of being received in Haiku with an outdoor antenna.
        I'd appreciate any input from around the state as to our ability to get a digital signal to your house.

Mahalo,
        Mike Rosenberg
        I just want to confirm: Are you broadcasting from Ulupalakua on Maui, on digital? As I said before, I need to re-orient my antenna (generally pointing toward Haleakala).

Do you have plans to use 4.3 down the road? Or should I just skip the sub-channel?

My tenants could receive your station but often get pixelated. I don't know if that's because of the long cable we installed (75ft + 25ft. split from the antenna) or what. I let them borrowed my signal amplifier (connected closer to their TV, not closer to the antenna). AFAIK, your channels (4.1, 4.2, and unknown 4.3) have the second weakest signal as of 5pm Thursday (1/15).
        Last edited by Random; January 16, 2009, 12:28 AM.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by ongre View Post
          I'm in Haiku (On Maui.). I have cable, but stay prepared for the times cable goes out... I scanned into the KGMV signal early in the week and of course tonight I rescanned to pick up what I could.
          The UHF KGMV is pixilating sometimes but is basically viewable.
          So far, channel 9.1 didn't pixelate on me. It is by far the strongest signal. If it is UHF, I'm surprise my near-fringe type antenna can pick up (labeled maximum UHF range: 35 miles). And I'm on Molokai.

KITV is very strong the weather thing is a waste of a channel, does anyone care what the mainland weather is like in such detail, constantly.
          Locals not so much, unless they know someone living on the mainland. Mainlanders and transplanted mainlanders might.

PBS is strong, but a kids program 24 hours a day? I can hear it now; "Darn it kid go to bed, its 3:00 am for heavens sake!!!"
          I dunno. Both 11.1 and 11.2 stopped broadcasting after 12:30am.

So far no KHON (Ch 7) or KHNL/ KFVE (KOGG at Ch 15) to bad, so sad.
          As I stated before, 7.1 (FOX) and 7.2 (CW) seems to transmit the weakest signals in Maui County. If your cable from the antenna is too long, you may lose those channels, unless you amplify or boost the signal.

13.1 (KHNL/NBC) seems to transmit well to Molokai. There seem to be a vacant 13.2 channel. One hope it would be used for MyNetwork TV, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by KGMB9 View Post
            This is my first post with this account... But we wanted to let you know that we've been monitoring this forum for a while.

If you have any questions for us, don't hesitate to ask or email dtv@kgmb9.com.

Mahalo for watching,
            Jared I. Kuroiwa
            Any chance you'll be broadcasting sub-channels (9.2 and so forth)?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              The reports from Molokai look promising.
              No problem. Seems to me I'm the only HT poster from Molokai. I was deeply concerned (i.e., near-panic) my near-fringe type antenna won't pick anything up today (1/15). That would have been a waste of $90. Plus everyone here keep telling me "Why the hassle? Get cable/dish." Now I can tell'em, "brah, I can catch'um."

BTW, if anyone wants to know, I got Channel Master 3018 Near-Fringe Antenna (VHF/UHF/FM).

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                After all the hype, seems like kind of a letdown yeah?
                Meh. I want to know what happened behind the scene. Hawaii was a litmus test for the mainland when they make the Big Switch on February 17 (or later if Obama have anything to say).

I'm really kind of ticked that the so-called FCC helpline isn't a state-wide toll-free number.

I'm also kind of ticked that the FCC didn't push for more vendors to sell coupon-certified boxes in places where there isn't any Best Buy or Walmart (not on Molokai). In a way, both FCC and the local vendors share the blame.

Comment

OTA digital reception report, Ala Moana area this morning:

KHON 2.1, 2.2 pixelating this morning

KHNL 13.1 - no signal

KAAH all 5 channels no signal
                  KALO 38.1 no signal

It seems that reception is spotty depending on what time of day you're tuned in and perhaps what the weather conditions are. While it is not very windy in town this morning, it is possible that the windy weather may be adversely affecting some transmitter sites.

Just posting this FYI.

Time to switch back to my cable.

Battlestar Galactica tonight.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I helped to set up a converter box for a friend. It was a Magnavox unit from Sam's Club. It worked ok, but in comparison to the RCA DTA800 I own, it is not as user friendly. The RCA unit has the ability to control my TV power and volume from the same remote. A cool thing is that the remote has separate power buttons for the converter and the tv. So you only need 1 remote to control the tv. You hit the 2 power buttons, and you are in business. Volume control is on the same remote. The buttons are large and easy to use.

BTW I rescanned this morning and KAAH 26.1=>26.5 is missing. They might be off the air.

Comment

The stations missing are all on Palehua Ridge...might be a power outage from the windstorm.

Comment

• Thou Shalt be Digitally Converted

Well I tried out my new digital converter box today...
                        Here's what you get in sunny Kaaawa:

1. KKAI 50 Kailua - this just gives me a black screen with a small blue box that says "DVD PLAYER"... cool
                        2. KUPU TV-15 Waimanalo comes in fine

This is really not a big surprise. First of all I'm using a rather, er, unique antenna I made off of YouTube:

I actually get the feeling that the antenna isn't that bad, and is probably better than most of the ones at Sears.
                        Second, I'm surrounded by 3 mountains less than 1/2 mile away. The lowest one is higher than the Empire State Building. The highest, Pu'u O'hulehule is 2 1/2 times as high as the Empire State Building.
                        So I guess Andy was right. Kaaawa IS Hawaiian for no radio reception.
                        Well, I DO get KUPU, which is the Christian channel, with lots of inspiring music set against pics of the Rockies.

So maybe I misunderstood:
                        If only get the religious channel, and I'm not religious (but spiritual), is the "digital conversion" actually a way to "digitally convert" me to Christianity?
                        Is that what the digital conversion box is?
                        Last edited by Golfsnorkel; January 16, 2009, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Was the Bible an analog conversion box?

I found out that the remote that came with my Magnavox convertor box (from Sears) has no volume control on it, so I still have to use the old remote for that. I suppose I could stick them back to back with a peanut butter sandwich.

I know a guy who will turn 70 this year. Once he told me that when his family got their first tv there was no tv transmission in their area.
                          He said that they used to sit in the living room and watch the Indian Head test pattern for ours, totally amazed.
                          There's tons of kids who have probably never seen this:

It was probably the #1 "web page" from 1950 to 1970.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Any chance you'll be broadcasting sub-channels (9.2 and so forth)?
                            Possibly, but we need to figure out what... What would you like to see on the sub channel? We've talked about breaking out the March Madness games, but still just looking.

Comment

I'd vote for old B/W movies, documentaries, history and science shows.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                                I'd vote for old B/W movies, documentaries, history and science shows.
                                That stuff is already on cable. I am sure the local TV stations would want something that generated revenue and made money for the station. So it would have to be more commercial and popular fare such as perhaps all sports, all news, a mix of both or more. Don't know for sure.

Take a look at what KHON and KITV are offering on their sub-channels...

KHON is lucky enough to have another network fill most of the time plus syndicated programming.

KITV for now seems to be content with Accuweather, but if you ever watch that it is loaded with ads and stuff that crawl or pop up from time to time.

Apparently KHNL had NBC weather on 13-2 but now have nothing. Moving MyNetwork TV to 13-2 may be a good idea. Just keep KFVE as all UH sports and verious syndicated shows and secondary news times.

The religious stations seem to have deep pockets and are filling several sub-channels with more religious programs. A friend of mine has been to the KAAH facility and said the place was quite state of the art.

It will be interesting to see if and what KIKU and KBFD add to their secondary channels if anything at all. Probably more ethnic programs if they can reach enough audience and make money from them.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X