Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 304

Thread: Digital TV Over The Air

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Does Mike Rosenberg have a number I can call to see if he or his office of TV broadcasters are doing anything about making sure the new tower's signal on Maui can reach to other county's islands like Lanai and Molokai.

    Or better yet, are they considering about installing repeating towers on those two islands in the [near] future?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Service Contours for DTV Stations on Maui:

    KAII-DT 7(FOX/KHON)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273039.html

    KMEB-DT 10(PBS/KHET)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273291.html

    KMAU-DT 12(ABC/KITV)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1272916.html

    KOGG-DT 16(NBC/KHNL)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1161050.html

    KWHM-DT 21(KWHE)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1266987.html

    KGMV-DT 24(CBS/KGMB)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273501.html

    The maps are based on line of sight to the Ulupalakua Transmitters and using an outdoor antenna, so Molokai, Lanai and the Northern areas on the Big Island should have a good level of service from the new transmitters...but as always YMMV.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Question Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Service Contours for DTV Stations on Maui:

    KAII-DT 7(FOX/KHON)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273039.html

    KMEB-DT 10(PBS/KHET)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273291.html

    KMAU-DT 12(ABC/KITV)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1272916.html

    KOGG-DT 16(NBC/KHNL)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1161050.html

    KWHM-DT 21(KWHE)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1266987.html

    KGMV-DT 24(CBS/KGMB)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1273501.html

    The maps are based on line of sight to the Ulupalakua Transmitters and using an outdoor antenna, so Molokai, Lanai and the Northern areas on the Big Island should have a good level of service from the new transmitters...but as always YMMV.
    Should.

    But in the past we could never receive any UHF channels (16 and up) with clarity in Kaunakakai. If they're broadcasting OTA in the UHF range, even though the channel numbers displayed on our new DTV units (or converter boxes) would be almost the same as their VHF counterparts, how can we be sure?

    At the risk of getting flamed, are the local TV stations (all of which located on Oahu) putting more than what the FCC mandate to offer strong, clear OTA digital TV broadcasting to all the populated islands in the State of Hawaii, or are they just going to make a barely passing grade with the FCC and focus more on providing better service to cable and dish viewers? I want them to more than just make claim. I want them to send their people to test signals on other islands that lack a signal tower or repeater.

    Be like the Verizon Wireless commercial, only Keahi Tucker is saying "Can You See Me Now?" while the guy with the glass and heavy eyebrow walks around with a portable DTV.

    IOW, can I -- from Molokai -- happily buy a new rooftop antenna and receive strong digital TV signals with clarity (no snow or blank screen) on January 15, 2009?
    Last edited by Random; November 1st, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Should.

    But in the past we could never receive any UHF channels (16 and up) with clarity in Kaunakakai. If they're broadcasting OTA in the UHF range, even though the channel numbers displayed on our new DTV units (or converter boxes) would be almost the same as their VHF counterparts, how can we be sure?
    That's because KWHM 21 and K27DW 27(KFVE) only claim to service Wailuku(Maui), which is all they are required to service.

    KWHM Analog 21http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TV186671.html

    K27DW Analog 27(KFVE)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TX182841.html

    IOW, can I -- from Molokai -- happily buy a new rooftop antenna and receive strong digital TV signals with clarity (no snow or blank screen) on January 15, 2009?
    As long as you have a clean shot at the transmitters, no mountains, thick forest, or much taller buildings in the way, there isn't a reason you shouldn't receive the signals.
    One last thing is the quality of the converter box you use, get one with the most sensitive tuner in it. The best of the breed seems to be the Zenith DTT900(sold also as Insignia at Best Buy) and Dish DTVPal Plus.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    That's because KWHM 21 and K27DW 27(KFVE) only claim to service Wailuku(Maui), which is all they are required to service.

    KWHM Analog 21http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TV186671.html

    K27DW Analog 27(KFVE)http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TX182841.html
    Sighs. "Required." What a load of crap, IMHO, especially for the so-called "The Home Team" station. It's more like thumbing their noses at us, mockingly saying "Sorry, Molokai, you gotta pay to watch our OTA programming."



    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    As long as you have a clean shot at the transmitters, no mountains, thick forest, or much taller buildings in the way, there isn't a reason you shouldn't receive the signals.
    One last thing is the quality of the converter box you use, get one with the most sensitive tuner in it. The best of the breed seems to be the Zenith DTT900(sold also as Insignia at Best Buy) and Dish DTVPal Plus.
    And if I get an DTV with ATSC tuner, how do I know they are sensitive too?

    This Dish DTVPal Plus, is that from the Dish Network? If so, why would they offer a product for non-dish viewers, unless it means to work with their dish service?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    KFVE's Maui repeater is a low powered station, so it's restricted by the FCC in the amount of signal it can send out.

    KWHM(KWHE repeater) is a non-network station.

    In both cases, the FCC only requires them to service what the FCC calls "city of license" or COL. All the stations on Maui claim Wailuku as the COL and must provide what the FCC calls "Grade A" service to Wailuku.

    The good news in all of this is that KWHM going digital will give it equal service to the network stations.
    As for KFVE's repeater, they have no app for a move to Ulupalakua. Unless they somehow will continue to operate from Haleakala, it appears they are shutting that down. I don't know this for certain, but it's possible that they may just simulcast KFVE on KHNL's digital channel(similar to how CW is done on KHON digital). The DTV receiver will display KOGG as 15.1 and KFVE as 5.2, if they did it that way KFVE would also match the other stations reach.

    If you getting a TV with an included DTV tuner, the sets with the better tuners appear to be LG, Philips, Toshiba and Vizio.

    The DTVPal Plus is made by Dish, but does in no way uses satellite service to work.
    http://www.dtvpal.com/

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    As for KFVE's repeater, they have no app for a move to Ulupalakua. Unless they somehow will continue to operate from Haleakala, it appears they are shutting that down. I don't know this for certain, but it's possible that they may just simulcast KFVE on KHNL's digital channel(similar to how CW is done on KHON digital). The DTV receiver will display KOGG as 15.1 and KFVE as 5.2 15.2, if they did it that way KFVE would also match the other stations reach.
    Would be smart of Fink to consider that move unless he don't give a crap about the sister station KFVE. Sorry, I have no confidence in Fink.

    I thought the KFVE repeater is located somewhere else on Maui.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    If you getting a TV with an included DTV tuner, the sets with the better tuners appear to be LG, Philips, Toshiba and Vizio.
    Wow. Sony must suck.

    (If anyone who work for Sony TV want to defend their TV's tuner, speak now or forever hold his peace.)
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Wow. Sony must suck.

    (If anyone who work for Sony TV want to defend their TV's tuner, speak now or forever hold his peace.)
    Believe it or not, Sony doesn't make TV's anymore. They stopped making tube and plasma sets in 2006. The LCD sets are actually made by Samsung, although they may switch to Sharp as the supplier in 2009.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Believe it or not, Sony doesn't make TV's anymore. They stopped making tube and plasma sets in 2006. The LCD sets are actually made by Samsung, although they may switch to Sharp as the supplier in 2009.
    And yet both companies mentioned above are not on your initial list.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Okay, I filed my complaints with the FCC - updates to follow, if anything develops.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  11. #61

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Who decided to advance the switch to all digital one month early here on Oahu and who do I call to argue against it?
    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Okay, I filed my complaints with the FCC - updates to follow, if anything develops.
    You know - after all the complaints that I see about how Hawai`i is always the last place in America to see technological upgrades and changes, here's one rare case where Hawai`i gets to be first in line.

    And some people can only complain, no matter the circumstances.

  12. #62

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Hi,
    Mike Rosenberg here. I'd be happy to answer any digital transition questions, or at least direct them to someone who can answer any engineering concerns. My number is 535-0206.
    Mike

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Question Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Okay, I filed my complaints with the FCC - updates to follow, if anything develops.
    You filed a complaint because Hawaii will not follow the National DTV transition date???

    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Question Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Hi,
    Mike Rosenberg here. I'd be happy to answer any digital transition questions, or at least direct them to someone who can answer any engineering concerns. My number is 535-0206.
    Mike
    How 'bout a toll-free number for us po' neighbor-island viewers on the fringe side of Hawaii, eh?

    Here's one question: do you have someone coming over to Molokai and test reception from Kalamaula to Kaunakakai (I live above the port town) and all the way to Halawa on the East End of the island?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    You know - after all the complaints that I see about how Hawai`i is always the last place in America to see technological upgrades and changes, here's one rare case where Hawai`i gets to be first in line.
    I don't think we the first and not completely -- Kauai will still be on analog using LPTV signals.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  16. #66

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Random,

    Here's what KMAU's new digital coverage looks like for Molokai by zip:

    96770-should be better than present analog
    96729-should be better than present
    96757-should be about the same
    96752-looks like there is no coverage there now and will not be any
    96748-city grade coverage will be about the same...the lowest grade of coverage looks like it goes from 4412(population) to 3938, so there might be some loss.
    We are trying to get permission to turn on our digital transmitters prior to the 1/15 date on Maui so folks will have the opportunity to see if their service at their home is affected and they don't find out on 1/15 that they are SOL.
    Hope this helps.

    Mike

  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BFE, Arizona
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    You know - after all the complaints that I see about how Hawai`i is always the last place in America to see technological upgrades and changes, here's one rare case where Hawai`i gets to be first in line.

    And some people can only complain, no matter the circumstances.
    Actually Wilmington, NC was first market to switch off analog and go digital only.

    As for the complaint, I mentioned to salmoned to file a complaint on KHNL/KFVE for not complying with regulations on sending it's PSIP data on it's digital channels. While a very small percentage of viewers watch the stations OTA signal, they are still obligated to monitor the integrity of the stations signal to those viewers.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Random,

    Here's what KMAU's new digital coverage looks like for Molokai by zip:

    96748-city grade coverage will be about the same...the lowest grade of coverage looks like it goes from 4412(population) to 3938, so there might be some loss.

    We are trying to get permission to turn on our digital transmitters prior to the 1/15 date on Maui so folks will have the opportunity to see if their service at their home is affected and they don't find out on 1/15 that they are SOL.
    Hope this helps.
    For one station. I can catch KMAU but not as strong and clear as KAII. Of course, I only have a basic VHF rooftop antenna, the one my dad (Bless his Soul) installed and back then we could catch KMAU strong and clear. Gonna have to upgrade to a long-range directional antenna. I just hope I don't waste that investment to keep FREE OTA TV.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  19. #69

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Random,

    As you know, sometimes engineering studies do not match real world experience, but you should be able to see Ulupalakua from your zip, unless you have terrain issues right by your house. Hope you can continue to support free OTA broadcasters.

    Mike

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Hope you can continue to support free OTA broadcasters.
    I hope so, too. I'd rather die a Free OTA TV viewer.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

    Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    KHNL has their time signal corrected (again)! Now, when will KFVE get it together?

    Probably aren't too many DTV OTA viewers out there, but anyone else notice the glitchy program/commercial transitions on KHNL and PBS, especially at night? Under-trained, undermanned or just incompetent? It's really irksome to lose the first 10 to 30 seconds (not to mention the occasional 10 to 30 minutes) of a program.
    Last edited by salmoned; November 13th, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Latest - KFVE, no signal. PBS Hawaii, some programs have 5 second stop action/blank screen segments at 1/2 to 1 minute intervals - must be a bad recorder. I hope they can fix it, because it's sure distracting.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  23. #73

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    We are trying to get permission to turn on our digital transmitters prior to the 1/15 date on Maui so folks will have the opportunity to see if their service at their home is affected and they don't find out on 1/15 that they are SOL.
    Hope this helps.

    Mike
    Aloha Mike

    I applaud your accessibility here and especially your efforts to get your xmtr on-the-air prior to the 'transition' for testing...many mahalos.

    My concern regards the NFC/AFC Championship games being broadcast via FOX/CBS on 1/18. The 'Sports Bar' I work for receives these OTA and two and a half days doesn't allow much time for testing the converter box/re-modulators, etc.
    Just having even -one- signal available for testing would be wonderful.

    Any new information on when you'll have digital up would be much appreciated.

    --Michael
    (I talked to you on the phone a couple of times years ago about 'Monday Night Football'.)

  24. #74

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Michael,
    Where's the bar? We (Hawaii broadcasters) hope to have KGMB up early. We are awaiting delivery of transmission line from California and could be up by the end of this year.
    Mike

  25. #75

    Default Re: Digital TV Over The Air

    Mike, the bar is the Kahului AleHouse (96732). "End of this year" would be very cool.<g>

    --Michael

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •