Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Passport Experiences, Anyone?

got a question for the HT folk:

i need to get a new passport ASAP to take care of some family biz in the PI. i've already been to this site and know that i need a certified copy of my birth certificate, since i don't have my original passport (obtain when i was a child). i also know i can go to a number of post offices to file my (expedited) app for the passport. however, does anyone know if the laminated, green & white & watermarked/embossed state of hawaii birth registration card is sufficient for the certified birth certificate? i don't think it is, since the passport app says that an acceptable birth cert includes your parents' names, and the birth reg card does not have that info. if one of you knows i'm wrong & the birth reg card is acceptable, pls let me know. i'm happy to save myself a trip to the dept of health.

also, if you've gotten your passport recently (like, in the last year), how long did it take you altogether?

pretty cool that you can apply for your passport and also take your passport pic at some post offices now.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: Recent Passport Experiences, Anyone?

Just a couple of months ago... I went directly to the Federal Building (300 Ala Moana Blvd., bottom of Punchbowl St.) to get my new one.

I had my presently good passport with me and photos just taken from a shop along Ala Moana Blvd. I received my new one in 1 month from filing for it. Cool!

My suggestion is to check at the main office, where I went.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      Just a couple of months ago... I went directly to the Federal Building (300 Ala Moana Blvd., bottom of Punchbowl St.) to get my new one.
      if you drove, where did you park? my understanding is they no longer allow public parking there.

I had my presently good passport with me and photos just taken from a shop along Ala Moana Blvd. I received my new one in 1 month from filing for it. Cool!
      where'd you go for your pics, exactly? tho i'm likely gonna just get mine done at kaimuki camera.

thx for your help!
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        1)if you drove, where did you park? my understanding is they no longer allow public parking there.
        2)where'd you go for your pics, exactly? tho i'm likely gonna just get mine done at kaimuki camera.
        3)thx for your help!
        1) I'm on a moped. You could find some street parking or use the Restaurant Row lot.

2) 2nd floor of a two-story building, above a diving shop(?)

3) You're welcome. I try.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

[...]
          2) 2nd floor of a two-story building, above a diving shop(?)
          [...]
          Might that be the building, mid block between Punchbowl and South Sts., on Halekauwila, makai side? There's a Professional Printers on the ground floor that faces Halekauwila...547, IIRC!

Cyn, there are many public parking lots in that area, altho' they're a bit pricey. First check for free parking on Keawe St., between Pohukaina and Queen. No luck? Check for metered street parking on Halekauwila between Punchbowl and Keawe Sts. or on South St. between Halekauwila and Queen Sts. Still no luck? Check the public parking lots!

That's my ol' stompin' grounds!

Comment

Hmmmm... Also from the website linked by cynsaligia, it appears that the Real ID Act of 2005 has been fully implemented.
            The U.S. Electronic Passport (e-passport) is the same as a regular passport with the addition of a small contactless integrated circuit (computer chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip securely stores the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and additionally includes a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph enables biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology...Since August 2007, the U.S. has been issuing only e-passports.
            Has anyone been issued the new Real-ID-chipped passport? Do you feel your privacy has been violated by the U.S. government or does it seem like a reasonable “security measure”?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

I got my passport in Cincinnati, but it took less than two weeks, and I didn't expedite or anything. Can't answer your other questions. I'm assuming I have the e-passport, I never really thought about it. I mean, I don't really consider any of that information to be private anyway, since it's stored in a government database. I know, I'm young and naive..
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
              X