Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

  1. #1

    Default Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    This topic might have been covered from previous years. Which section are you most interested in as far as books? I checked out the CD section today. They have their own tent now along with records from the public radio station. I'll go later to check out the books in the health, entertainment, and sports section.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale


    I was there today. Bought some books, records and a CD. Great baragins. Will go back again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Was excited to see this sale extends into the evening, I might have to pop by after work someday. How organized are the books? By genre? I'd be foolhardy to wish for alphabetical.. at my old library the book sale was pretty unorganized -- much as I love browsing, disorganization can be overwhelming.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    I was surprised to see how much VHS tapes they had. The DVD selection was small.
    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 29th, 2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    How organized are the books? By genre? I'd be foolhardy to wish for alphabetical.. at my old library the book sale was pretty unorganized -- much as I love browsing, disorganization can be overwhelming.
    It is somewhat organized (just not alphabetically). The books are divided loosely into categories (many, many categories--i.e. “fiction” and sub-categories such as “mysteries”, “romance”, “sci-fi”, etc.), so if you’re looking for one particular book, good luck. But it you’re into discoveries (and I’ve found some amazing finds in the past), this is the sale for you. It is time-consuming, so be prepared to browse, but the pleasure in this sale is in the browsing.

    Give it a try. I’ve never gone in the evenings, but it should be cooler than during the day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I was surprised to see how much VHS tapes they had. The DVD selection was small.
    I noticed that, too. Lots and lots of VHS, but only three short shelves of DVD.

    I’m a long-time patron of the Friends of the Library Book Sale (just about the best sale of any type in Hawaii), but sadly have not visited in the last couple of years. I did today, though (found three books for $5, nothing exciting, but still good buys). I like that they extended the books outdoors under tents. When I went to the sale the first time in 1970, I was amazed. At that time it was at the Richard Street YWCA, and it was held closer to August (i.e. hot hot hot!). There were so many people crowded in a tiny room trying to find books and maneuvering themselves around other people. Eventually, a woman in the crowd fainted because of the heat, but it was so packed she literally could not fall down. She was held up by all the people surrounding her. It took a long time for the emergency responders to reach her.

    Shortly after that, they changed the venue to Central Intermediate; and shortly after that to McKinley High School, where it’s been held ever since.
    Last edited by Honoruru; June 29th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post

    Iím a long-time patron of the Friends of the Library Book Sale (just about the best sale of any type in Hawaii), but sadly have not visited in the last couple of years. I did today, though (found three books for $5, nothing exciting, but still good buys). I like that they extended the books outdoors under tents. When I went to the sale the first time in 1970, I was amazed. At that time it was at the Richard Street YWCA, and it was held closer to August (i.e. hot hot hot!). There were so many people crowded in a tiny room trying to find books and maneuvering themselves around other people. Eventually, a woman in the crowd fainted because of the heat, but it was so packed she literally could not fall down. She was held up by all the people surrounding her. It took a long time for the emergency responders to reach her.

    Shortly after that, they changed the venue to Central Intermediate; and shortly after that to McKinley High School, where itís been held ever since.
    It felt like a sauna in the auditorium especially when coming from a breezy outside. The outside tents had a natural air conditioning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    The 63rd Friends of the Library of Hawaiʻi Book Sale begins Saturday, June 19, and runs through June 27. Lots of books, records, CDs, DVDs, and more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    I don't recall seeing any records at last year's booksale. Someone tell me if they actually see records for sale at this year's sale. I'm missing it this year. Off island.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I don't recall seeing any records at last year's booksale. Someone tell me if they actually see records for sale at this year's sale.
    Hmmm, you're probably right. When I posted this, I was thinking about past years. I don't usually visit the music area, so I don't really recall seeing records last year. But I remember seeing records on sale there once upon a time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    Hmmm, you're probably right. When I posted this, I was thinking about past years. I don't usually visit the music area, so I don't really recall seeing records last year. But I remember seeing records on sale there once upon a time.

    Last time I went there were records, but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before.

    But I am ridiculously excited for this booksale. I plan on going tomorrow to scope it out and again on the last day for the 50 cent books. Yay books!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    i love this annual sale; minor complaint but i just wish it were held in a place with more space; it gets pretty crowded and stuffy....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    The 65th Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale begins this Saturday, June 23, from 9 am-9 pm at the McKinley High School cafeteria, and runs through July 1. Over 150,000 books will be up for sale, as well as DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, records (?), and more!

    And donít forget the food! The Simply Ono food truck will be there, among others.

    I love this sale, but I wonder how well itís doing these days? What with the demise of bricks and mortar bookstores (only Barnes & Noble left, I think), and used bookstores (only Jellyís and Shirokiyaís Bookoff that I can think of), e-books replacing physical books as the reading medium of choice, and even the notion that people are not reading books anymore, how does all this affect this long-standing island tradition?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Used books are good when you don't have to be delicate by handling it by your fingertips or read it while eating or drinking stuff.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    It would be a pity if all physical books end up looking like the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Serious students of history use whatever is available after the ravages of time
    eat their way through old libraries.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    It's that time again, the 66th Annual Friends of the Library of Hawaiʻi Book Sale. Lots and lots of books, DVDs, and other stuff (I don't think records are included anymore). It begins this Saturday, June 22 (earlier if you're a member).

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    Bump!

    Another year. The 67th Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale begins this Saturday, June 21, and runs through June 29.

    I've been going every year since 1971, but I have to admit that lately I've been buying less and less. Last year I didn't buy anything. I wonder how much longer this venerable sale will last, what with books and movies and music now readily available for download or streaming? I still like the atmosphere, though, and I'll be browsing happily. It's just nice to be among friends.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale


  18. #18

    Default Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

    https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-goes-virtual/

    The Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale goes virtual this year.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •