Beijing 08-08-2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beijing 08-08-2008

I saw some of the U.S. Track and Field trials this weekend and I got excited for Beijing.

Of course I'm glued to how Bryan Clay is doing. He was a year behind me in high school, and I was fortunate to get to know him then through his cousin, a dear high school classmate. It's amazing to see the changes in his life, both on and off the track.

Don't know if it was already posted, but Bryan is the grandson of Tsumoru Ishimoto, founder of Kewalo Pickle Products.

Michael Phelps is another one I'll be watching. The kid's not 18 anymore and he even has a DUI under his belt, but he's still smoking hot.

Who are your favorite Olympians this year?
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Beijing 08-08-2008

I'm always kinda surprised that so many trials are so close to the opening of the Olympics. I guess it makes sense to me to have them earlier so that the team can spend more time together. But, what do I know about these things! Like you, I'm pulling for Brian Clay.

The Kewalo Pickle Products article was interesting, Lei. Of note, to me, is the statement, "The company grosses over $650,000 in sales annually, Monroy said.". Granted, the article is from 1999 but that still doesn't seem like a lot with 12 (non-family) employees, who-knows-how-many family employees (not volunteer kind!), plus overhead...rent, utilities, wholesale product, supplies, yada, yada! Amazing!

Comment

What was the myth of 8/8/8 for China?
      I don't remember anything unusual happening on June 6, 2006.(666)

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        What was the myth of 8/8/8 for China?
        I don't remember anything unusual happening on June 6, 2006.(666)
        Eight is a lucky number for the Chinese. (a little support here!) Back in 8-8-88, a lot of people got married for much the same reason. Don't know whether it made a difference or not.

I understand 4 is an unlucky number, so no one would get married 040404 if they were believers.

Maybe 6 has no significance to the Chinese, hence 060606 would be meaningless. Depends on your background. 666 is probably one of those top 40 superstition numbers for Christians.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Eight is a lucky number for the Chinese. (a little support here!)
          Yes, that's correct. It suggests fortune or wealth, because eight reads as "fa" or "baat" or "ba" - homonymically similar to "faat" (prosperity).

That's also why (Chinese-American) musician Daniel Ho is getting married on that date (which I just learned this weekend).

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye out for local girl Natasha Kai! The first Hawaiian to play on the Women's National Soccer Team. I really hope she does well at the Olympics and comes home to Kahuku with a medal!

She is sure to make an impression!
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Will the Olympic swimmers be able to use the special Speedo swimming suit? A lot of records have been happening in swimming when using this type of swimming suit. I thought that Speedo made those beach wear trunks for Europeans.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                I'll be keeping an eye out for local girl Natasha Kai! The first Hawaiian to play on the Women's National Soccer Team. I really hope she does well at the Olympics and comes home to Kahuku with a medal!

She is sure to make an impression!
                geez! Such tats! Such abs! She must be quite intimidating!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                X