No announcement yet.

Drinking on the beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm..., did I make up another new word?

Well, maybe not.
    After googling (gee, I hope that's correct) 'obviscate' and having them/it suggesting maybe I meant 'obfuscate', I see that many people use 'obviscate' in the same manner in which I meant it.

I don't have a 'real' dictionary handy, but will try to do a search on a net dictionary and get some more schoolinatin'.

Anyway, thanx for the info. I don't mind being correctly corrected.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Hmmm..., did I make up another new word?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Well, maybe not.
      After googling (gee, I hope that's correct) 'obviscate' and having them/it suggesting maybe I meant 'obfuscate', I see that many people use 'obviscate' in the same manner in which I meant it.

I don't have a 'real' dictionary handy, but will try to do a search on a net dictionary and get some more schoolinatin'.

Anyway, thanx for the info. I don't mind being correctly corrected.
      In a quick dictionary search, "obviscate" doesn't appear to be a real word! I'll drink to that...on the beach...from a bottle of wine obscured by a plain brown wrapper!

Comment

Re: Drinking on the beach

Local TV "news" was absolutely Gushing over a handy device the Police State can shove in your drink to see if it has alcohol in it! How wonderful...maybe a bank is being robbed or a child dragged away by a psycho but the Officer comes up and demands (no suspiscion, no probable cause, certainly no warrant) to shove his device into your drink. Nobody understands that the Bill of Rights was written to protect the INNOCENT. So, wouldn't it be fun to entrap the authorities into doing a bogus bust and then suing them for every cent the city has? How hard would that be? There is no excuse for a free country to have the highest prison population in the world, and half of them in on victimless crimes.

Comment

They have a beach where you can bring your dog, they should have a beach designated for drinking. As well as a nude beach.

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/beaches..._beaches_2.htm
          You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
            A friend used to carefully cut apart soda and juice cans, then wrap them around as "skins" to make beer cans look like something else.
            Uh, yeah, didn’t you see? I wrote about your friend earlier.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

I feel like the biggest part of my punishment will probably be waking up early, going to court, wasting expensive fuel to get there, then waiting around all day to see the judge. I will probably make a list of errands to do in Honolulu later that day, and bring a good book for while I'm waiting. Hopefully they won't fine me, but that remains to be seen.

Yesterday there was A LOT of beach drinking here on the Windward side. Oh, and at White Plains too!! I told some guys who all were holding beer cans about my ticket, and they snorted at me and told me how cops at WP never write tickets for beer. Hmm.

Seems like cops don't like to get sand in their dress shoes.
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                TG is gorgeous. Really. I'm actually kinda surprised the cop didn't target her just to meet her...then give her a warning instead of a ticket.
                I'm beginning to think Sue pegged it right. At least you're planning to make an efficient day of it, TG.

Comment

TG: definitely read the fine print on the ticket. a long time ago, we were out at sandy's in the car and having a few brewskis. next thing you know, da copper was at the driver's side window telling us, "don't you know it's illegal to consume alcohol on/at the beach?" "um, no." he let us off and told us to put the bottles in the back seat of the car. no ticket and nothing confiscated.

on a different note: we had forgotten to put up the handicap placard when we parked in a designated stall at waikele. however, we were able to send in a copy of the placard with the ticket and an explanation. no fine.

lots of people have told you how to "hide" your drink, but just remember that even undercover cops/plain clothes cops were on duty for the festivities. i think your cop was pissed off like others have said because it was definitely a hot one yesterday.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Yesterday there was A LOT of beach drinking here on the Windward side. Oh, and at White Plains too!!
                    We were leaving White Plains Friday morning and saw the security checkpoint set up at Tripoli & Coral Sea. Our kid was driving (almost halfway through her learner's permit) and when she saw the uniforms & cruisers she immediately seized up. I had my hands full and didn't really get a chance to look at what they were doing to who, but I figured it was a sobriety checkpoint for people heading home from the beach.

Oddly enough, however, they appeared to be stopping everyone heading to the beach and the Coast Guard station. Maybe they were confiscating contraband before the cans were opened on the way in.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

interesting you say that, nords.

at about 1AM saturday morning, my friend was driving me home to kaimuki from the hawaii prince hotel, where his family had gotten a suite on the 30-somethingth floor to watch the fireworks. as we turned from kalakaua to monsarrat (is it monsarrat?), we realized that we had just driven into a roadblock. there must have been at least 20 cops directing drivers into the waikiki shell parking lot. they were pulling everyone over.

a cop stopped at our window and asked us where we came from and where we were going. he scowled disbelievingly when he heard my friend say that we just came from the prince hotel and he was taking me home. i have no explanation for that scowl except to guess that maybe he didn't like the idea that a petite woman of average attractiveness was spending time in a hotel with a 400 pound man.

in any case, he had my friend "greg" step out of the car and do the entire sobriety test. this made no sense. there could not be a more sober driver on the road than greg, who had not had a single alcoholic drink in the six hours i was at the hotel with him and his family and he most certainly did not smell of alcohol in any way. yet there he was, doing the "follow the pen with your eyes" and "walk the line" and, most humiliatingly, the "balance on one leg for however long i tell you to." i was PISSED watching this happen, especially since i could see that other cops were not making other drivers even come out of their cars. certainly, i saw that other drivers had their tests stopped short when it was abundantly clear they were sober.

no, this cop clearly wanted to humiliate my friend, who huffed and puffed and wobbled as he stood on one foot. HELLO! the guy weighs four hundred pounds! i found out later that as he was administering the test, the cop kept asking greg when the last time he drank was (he had a margarita with dinner before i arrived) and pestering him with where we came from, where we were going, etc. as the cop walked greg back to the driver's seat, he said, "you sure you haven't been drinking? most everyone can pass the field test if they're sober. is it cause you were drinking or cause you just can't do it?"

what else could my friend answer but, "i just can't do it"? it took so much for me to hold my tongue (you know me and my pinay temper) when the cop replied, "you better go straight home. i better not catch you on the road again tonight."

after the shock wore away as we drove off, my friend wished angrily that he had insisted on a breathalyzer and that he got the cop's name and badge number.

maybe it's the same lump of diarrhea who cited turtlegirl. then again, there could be a rash of diarrhea lumps in our police department. *shrug*
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I went thru that checkpoint at White Plains too, they were checking for indentification. While I was fumbling thru my beach bag for my driver's license, they asked me if my paperwork was current (I think he meant car paperwork?), so I said 'Yeah", and they waved me thru.

I was a little shocked to see that checkpoint, but my first thought was that maybe the usual parking lot was full, and that they would redirect us to park somewhere else.

~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          no, this cop clearly wanted to humiliate my friend, who huffed and puffed and wobbled as he stood on one foot. HELLO! the guy weighs four hundred pounds!
                          Man, that's lame. I hope that cop, with his amazing powers of observation, never makes detective. HPD might lose their 100% homicides solved record

hawaii prince hotel, where his family had gotten a suite on the 30-somethingth floor to watch the fireworks.
                          Off topic: Our family was considering a Waikiki hotel to watch the fireworks from. Looking at google maps the Ala Moana Hotel and Hawaii Prince seemed to have a good view.

Did greg's family book a room in the Ewa tower? From their website, it doesn't seem like the rooms have lanai's. How was the view through the windows?
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            I was a little shocked to see that checkpoint, but my first thought was that maybe the usual parking lot was full, and that they would redirect us to park somewhere else.
                            I always wonder what else isn't getting done while they're running checkpoints. Hopefully it's considered training.

White Plains' parking lot has a plainclothes security car parked there on weekday mornings to deter break-ins, and sometimes it's a regular security vehicle. Even so one of the regulars came back to the lot from the beach to find a guy inside her truck, so maybe security runs the checkpoints in hopes of catching someone who's planning on "shopping".
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

The trick is to sit next to the guys smoking crack/ice. You'll have plenty of time to dump your drink with the warning they'll give.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Did I miss it somewhere - how much was the fine?
                                I must be living on the moon, where is White Plains?
                                Last edited by leashlaws; July 7, 2008, 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X