Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkin' about Lawns

Default Talkin' about Lawns

I got a nice lawn. About 11,000 sf, manicured like St. Andrews, mowed with diligence and tender loving care. I spend a lot of time on it. In fact, I would say that my lawn is cleaner than my wife's carpets. (You could safely go with the 5-second rule while Q'in in my yard). But don't tell her I said that.

We play. Jump rope, soccer, football, trac-ball, bocci, badminton.
    We have big parties back there. Easter Sunday, our place, has become tradition.
    Big Ass Picnic table, with a high table, that puts your mouth real close to your plate so you can shovel it in without gettin too much on your shirt. (designed it myself

All around the edges, the whole thing is a garden of fruits, to the edge of where I weed whack.

But the point of this thread is that beautiful, manicured, high&tight, groomed, well cut, lawn.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Default Re: Talkin' about Lawns

Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post

But the point of this thread is that beautiful, manicured, high&tight, groomed, well cut, lawn.

sounds like you just described yourself?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Thanks a lot, Kani...I just spewed my iced tea all over my keyboard!

ahem. i did leave out this part:

"All around the edges, the whole thing is a garden of fruits, to the edge of where I weed whack."

**cough**

sorry, TK, couldn't help myself. :P
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

hahahahahahahahaha
    stay forever young

I figured others would be bragging about their lawns, too. Or perhaps commenting on particular lawns, in public places, that are well groomed, and great for picnicking.

Or maybe everybody lives in an apartment. Hope you have a view of some nice lawns.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

yeah. My yard is 2/3rds bare red dirt. Its a rented lawn, so it would be silly of me to go and buy a bunch of sod for it, but sometimes I sit on the porch and daydream about it. Maybe I could throw some seed on it and see what takes hold, but I don't know which grasses grow best in Hawaii, and are also sun and heat tolerant, as the bare patch is in the part that gets the most sun.

Sidenote - my neighbors have grass. They also have sprinkler systems on timers that go off every night. Even while its raining. That makes me sooooo mad. Like, hey people, its an island, try to help out and conserve some water once in a while! Geeeez!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

[...]
    Or maybe everybody lives in an apartment. Hope you have a view of some nice lawns.
    Yep...I'm on the 19th floor of a building that has no lawn but with a nice view of a new, almost block long, park-like setting that was landscaped by the new condo building across the street. It's definitely a neighborhood upgrade. And I'm so happy I don't have the upkeep!

I figured others would be bragging about their lawns, too.
    I haven't had any lawn since Drug Enforcement came and burned it to the ground!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

ah, TK was just joking around.

we do have a great yard. too big in my opinion. very rarely do we water it due to the rain.
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

TimKona's favorite TV show is "Lawn Order"
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    TimKona's favorite TV show is "Lawn Order"
    You made me choke on my dinner!

I guess I've never been real keen on lawns because I'm allergic to grass. Gives me a nice itchy rash. Never stopped me rolling down hills as a kid, although it did get me out of lawn mowing duties.

Liked 'Green Acres' too. Couldn't resist.

Hey Tutu, go down, after a light sprinkle, and walk barefoot in that beautiful lawn.

The new "Waikoloa Bowl" amphitheatre has a megalawn, that is super squishy.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could have a bed like a water bed, but a "lawn bed". Just like throwing a blanket over a super soft lawn. Nightynight.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

[...]
    Wouldn't it be cool if you could have a bed like a water bed, but a "lawn bed". Just like throwing a blanket over a super soft lawn. Nightynight.
    Actually, that's how I feel about warm sand! I remember the good, (really) ol' days when it was safe to sleep on the beach all night. Ooooh, I loved that. Don't think I've slept on a lawn, tho'.

Oh yeah, warm sand, with a blanket, and about an hour to work the sand into the shape of your contour. Friggin Heaven.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

My backyard is a friggin disaster! Before I moved in the house was dormant for nearly a year and my zoysia grass got completely infested with clover and a bunch of other weeds. Once weeds get a foothold in thick zoysia I've found you are pretty much screwed because the roots of the weeds get completely intertwined with the grass roots and you can never pull them out.

Front yard is a dream though, it's like laying on thick carpet

I got a nice lawn. About 11,000 sf, manicured like St. Andrews, mowed with diligence and tender loving care. I spend a lot of time on it......But the point of this thread is that beautiful, manicured, high&tight, groomed, well cut, lawn.
    I'm enjoying this lawn love... Tim, please tell what kind lawn you have there? Marathon sod, Zoysia, Kentucky Bluegrass? I don't know what the red Hawaiian soil likes best. What should I expect, and do you spend a lot of time caring for your beautiful lawn? Photos? please?

I myself enjoy the cushy feel of St. Augustine, and how mine takes off and runs into my neighbor's dirt and weed yard. Now he has a better lawn than I do, all for no work or money. It likes a regular watering cycle, and a periodic de-thatching. I make him water his own, lol. I love my lawn.

Couldnt tell ya. Dont really know. I just mow it, and feed it, and play on it.

Probably a combination of crab, centipede, kentucky bl., zoysia, and Wal-Mart Fast Lawn. But mostly fast lawn.

It's too tall now. And needs a good mowing.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

No yard here at the condo, but recent landscaping efforts with Hawaiian native plants are lookin' good! Love the unfurling fern trees, and now the plugs of grass are finally filling in a few nice spots.

We go down to the beach park to wallow in the grass.

One of my dad's fave things was to drive the lawnmower/tractor every week over his large yard in SC, and he did not allow anyone else to do it without plenty of instructions!

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    One of my dad's fave things was to drive the lawnmower/tractor every week over his large yard in SC, and he did not allow anyone else to do it without plenty of instructions!
    Oooooo! I love those riding lawn mowers. Dangerous, but FUN. Used to have an orchard in Amish country that needed mowing with one. Cows mowed the other "yard."

Just happy to have a perky Craftsman I can still push around when the kids don't do the job. I'm picky about my lawn. It's not too special, except to me.

BBQ season's coming. California= two seasons, summer or winter. And winter's going to be over soon enough. Fast Lawn, huh, Tim? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

I have a nice yard back in Texas. We have a corner lot, so there's extra room for the pups to run around. The side by the street is fenced in too, and that part is sloped for drainage, since we live 200 yards away from Lake Lewisville (no view though. We had a free one for a year until they built houses on the empty lots). I have a hammock that I love to hang out in and read or talk on the phone. Some nights, Jason and I will squish in there together and check out the stars.

I tried to get a nice front garden going, but the dem rabbits ate them all! This summer, I'm going to fence off a tiny section of the backyard and plant some rosebushes and I'm bargining with Jason for a small pond...with a turtle. But I have to get all A's in Summer Session I or no Honu!

Here...well, this is my backyard. And God does a great job of keeping it up for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't think of anything creative this time

This is my backyard....

It looks nicer in the front, but I don't want to post public pictures of the front of my house.

I tried maintaining a nice lawn, but it was just too much work. I gave up and went with this stuff called Synlawn. It's basically very realistic-looking fake grass. It's a little spendy and you have to get it professionally installed, but it's so realistic, most people don't realize it's fake even when they're walking on it. (It's cushioned like a real lawn.) Even when they get on their hands and knees and look at it up close, they still have a hard time believing it. It's only until you feel it with your hands can you tell it's not real grass.

I know it's cheating, but I love it. It always looks perfect and it's zero maintenance. I don't ever water, cut or weed it. I neglect it completely and it always looks beautiful.
    Last edited by zff; January 27th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

When we moved into our "dream home" in Kahalu`u our front yard was Nissei-style - coral gravel 2" deep with a central raised rock-garden with one bonsai tree.

We worked for months - did it all ourselves - shoveled the coral out, shoveled topsoil in and plugged "Emerald Green" Zoysia. A joy to walk on.
    Replaced the bonsai with Hawn. tree fern & other ferns.

The whole property is over an acre, some of it almost vertical. In the back it's planted with trees (Monkeypod, Kukui, Coconut, Austrailian tree fern), fruit trees (Mac nut, lychee, avocado, starfruit, orange, lime, lemon, jabong, fig, `ohia `ai {mountain apple}), tropical flowers too many to name, and wherever we don't tend - jungle. Machete required.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by zff View Post
    This is my backyard....

It looks nicer in the front, but I don't want to post public pictures of the front of my house.

I tried maintaining a nice lawn, but it was just too much work. I gave up and went with this stuff called Synlawn. It's basically very realistic-looking fake grass. It's a little spendy and you have to get it professionally installed, but it's so realistic, most people don't realize it's fake even when they're walking on it. (It's cushioned like a real lawn.) Even when they get on their hands and knees and look at it up close, they still have a hard time believing it. It's only until you feel it with your hands can you tell it's not real grass.

I know it's cheating, but I love it. It always looks perfect and it's zero maintenance. I don't ever water, cut or weed it. I neglect it completely and it always looks beautiful.
    SWEEEEEEEET!! Love seeing the pups enjoying it too. I love a real lawn, but hey, sometimes it's either not an option or a pain in the butt to maintain. BTW, the rest of your yard looks awesome too. It's only January, but I am so stoked on getting my backyard fixed up.

That lawn must have cost a bunch. However, in the long run, savings on water, chemicals, and other costs.... well, plus the eco-frindly aspects. Hmmm. Gotta wonder if my pitbull would wreck it... she loves to chew any plastic-type stuffs. Maybe the smell of it? You just hose off the dog dookie residues, yeah?

Fab. Thanks for sharing this. Oh, please, give a peek at the front yard, taken cautiously? Promise not to come over...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    When we moved into our "dream home" in Kahalu`u our front yard was Nissei-style - coral gravel 2" deep with a central raised rock-garden with one bonsai tree.

We worked for months - did it all ourselves - shoveled the coral out, shoveled topsoil in and plugged "Emerald Green" Zoysia. A joy to walk on.
    Replaced the bonsai with Hawn. tree fern & other ferns.

The whole property is over an acre, some of it almost vertical. In the back it's planted with trees (Monkeypod, Kukui, Coconut, Austrailian tree fern), fruit trees (Mac nut, lychee, avocado, starfruit, orange, lime, lemon, jabong, fig, `ohia `ai {mountain apple}), tropical flowers too many to name, and wherever we don't tend - jungle. Machete required.
    Hi, Kaonohi,

Is this the same house you put a photo of in the Photo-sharing thread? Those three photos that you uploaded, man, I mean.... WOW! I couldn't get over how great they were, and especially the one of the house taken against the mountains... simply to die for!

As I am crazy about fruit trees and tropical gardens... would you be so kind as to share a few (OK, I meant, a lot) photos of your backyard, either here or on the other thread? I'm sure more than just me would love to see it! That was a real treat to see the front of the house. Thanks for sharing with us. Or you could PM me? Mahalo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast