X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Great shots, Jim, every one of them.

That moose shot, did that moose think you were Sarah Palin. He has that look.

Out of all of them, the two I like best (besides the moose) is the bowling shot (it's difficult to do action shots, especially indoors, especially in a bowling alley); and the ski lift (I don't know why, but there's a lot of feeling there).

Sophie, interesting shots. I never heard of a lomography camera. What do you use it for?

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
      This ROCKS!!!

Comment

That low end lomography stuff makes me want to dig out my old, low end film cameras.... like my Kodak Brownie 620....er but film is scarce and where available, expensive... $20 for one roll.... 12 or 20 exp. can't remember.

And then I think about the missing Diana camera somewhere in a box at my folks' place (dang I just left there this past weekend)....

I do have my Ricoh auto-half, a fixed focus point and shoot that shoots 48 pictures on a standard roll of 24.

Not so low end, but I think a nice one I shot this past weekend:

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Talking about old cameras, I've got a Kodak 3D that shoots on standard 35mm slide film. Kinda a pain to use since it doesn't have a built-in light meter and the shutter speeds and stop are a bit different then modern cameras.

Not to mention the problem if finding slide mounts.

But I have taken a few interesting 3D shots with it

Comment

I'm particularly fond of the Ski Lift one, Jim. The limited color gives it a wonderful mood.

I fell in love with old cameras when I went to college. My mom found a Canon AE-1 kit at a yardsale (which I've only recently brought back from Ohio and really need to take out shooting soon), and then in my sophmore year we were introduced to Holgas:

Very cheap, low tech plastic cameras that are usually bound with liberal amounts of electrical tape to keep out most (but never all) of the light leaks. Holgas are known for their vignetting, which ironically seems to be making a comeback in digital form.

I did a report on Lomography for my History of Photography class. To me, it kind of flies in the face of the idea that photographers have some "special way of seeing" and instead is focused on snapshot photography, happy accidents, literal shooting from the hip. The motto is "don't think, just shoot". Probably it appealed to me because at the time I got into it, I was rebelling against the concept of being an artist
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Why cats like lie in circles?
              Very cute cat, K.

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
              I was in a moving car at the time
              I like it when people go out of their way to a take a picture of something which inspires them. I love the grid like pattern of the little clouds. I wonder what makes the clouds do that.

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              and one more from great Falls State Park
              In the bottom left, I like that little rock in the water and how the water sprays out in many directions.

lomography camera
              Interesting. Lomography is a trademark. It reminds me of Lensbaby.

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
              3. Last run of the night at the ski slope on the lift
              3. Looking across Cook Inlet from Beluga Point.
              The ski pic reminds me of The Shining and The Thing.

In the Beluga Point pic, I like the contrast between the foreground and background light.

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Not so low end, but I think a nice one I shot this past weekend
              What's the name of that "tree stump" plant? I love its tubular "bark". The dark stuff.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

About as close to a working toy camera that I have is this Ricoh Auto-Half:

Here are some photos:

Chinatown, DT Honolulu, June 2008

Kawaihao Church, November 2007

More photos here.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My mom found a Canon AE-1 kit at a yardsale (which I've only recently brought back from Ohio and really need to take out shooting soon)
                  You must do eet!

focused on snapshot photography, happy accidents, literal shooting from the hip. The motto is "don't think, just shoot".
                  I agree. I have a lot of fun being in snapshot mode. I learn the most from happy accidents. If I really like how a pic turned out, I try to remember what and how I took it. If I recognize a similar situation in the future, I can take a more purposeful shot.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Chinatown, DT Honolulu, June 2008
                    I like that market photo on the right. I really dig the tint of the B&W pics.
                    "

Comment

Yesterday Manoa provided yet another spectacular sunset. The clouds do funky things, at the mouth of the valley. I did a decent job of capturing it, but I still need more practice.

This was the coolest part of the sunset, but the most difficult to capture. The shape of the light reminded me of flames rolling along the ceiling, in a house fire. The orange light was more vivid in person, that what you see here.
                      "

Comment

cool captures, MJ!

Here are a couple from yesterday....was waiting for the bus at the metro station, so I went up to the roof to fool around...

flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

And just for good measure...I snapped this after jumping out of the car, grabbing my rig from the trunk and snapped what I could before the light change.

Audi R8, pics do not do it justice, in person this car is pure sex!

flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

Excellent work, everybody!!! Keep 'em coming!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Excellent work, everybody!!! Keep 'em coming!
                              I must read the tutorial on how to do this! I'm virtually useless on the
                              computer!

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                                [...]Audi R8, pics do not do it justice, in person this car is pure sex![...]
                                Ooooooh...<drool>!

Comment

Working...
                                X