X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
    Alright, I finally set up an account at Flickr. I am trying to post my first picture.
    Hooray! And well done. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Had a few hours to myself, so for $6 I hit the Waikiki Aquarium for some photography practice. After an hour, I realized I forgot to recharge the camera battery. Tisk tisk.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

Very peaceful rowing pic, Acousticlady.

MJ, great aquarium shots. It took me a second to figure out the one with the arm extended down into the water.

I went for a walk around Kailua this morning. It was one of those 'it feels so good just to be alive' mornings. The first pic is of the canal that empties Enchanted lake into the ocean. The second is fishermen at Makapu'u. I took some more shots of boogieboarders, but I'll probably post them later. The last one is from a few weeks ago. It was taken near the pillboxes above Lanikai.

Comment

Jim, I love the last one the best. How in the world did you get the cactus plant in the foreground to be in focus along with the rest? It makes the picture.

MJ, I love the aquarium vacuum/arm pic, too. Very cool!

And acousticlady, I like the man in the water behind the canoe. Looks like he fell out and is watching them row away....

Comment

Thanks for the comments. You know, it only takes a little encouragement to get me to post more. You may all be sorry....... So far, I've only uploaded 6 pictures. But I've been playing photographer for almost 30 years (how is that even possible!) so I have literally thousands to choose from.

This is one of my favorites of Charley Young Beach. Taken many years ago with my 35 mm, but it looks even older than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                Jim, I love the last one the best. How in the world did you get the cactus plant in the foreground to be in focus along with the rest? It makes the picture.
                Thanks Cyleet. It was taken with a wide angle zoom lens, 12-24mm (35mm equivalent range of 18-36mm). At the widest end (12mm), if you have a small aperture, then the depth of field is probably from about 7 inches to infinity. This means that everything from 7 inches away from the lens and beyond will be in focus. I can't say for sure, but it's likely I focused on the cactus and then recomposed.

This is one of my favorites of Charley Young Beach.
                Another nice one, AcousticLady.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                  I went for a walk around Kailua this morning. It was one of those 'it feels so good just to be alive' mornings.
                  I really dig the reflection in the first pic. Nice sharpness on the fishing pole, especially contrasted with the background.

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                  How in the world did you get the cactus plant in the foreground to be in focus along with the rest? It makes the picture.
                  I agree. The cactus caught my attention too. It's got a weird "cartoony" look to it, for lack of a better word.

And acousticlady, I like the man in the water behind the canoe. Looks like he fell out and is watching them row away....
                  Haha, I never thought of it like that.

You know, it only takes a little encouragement to get me to post more.
                  Do eet! I dare you. I double dog dare you.
                  "

Comment

Here's some pics from the Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden in Kaneohe from last weekend. The leaf in the first pic is about 3ft across and 4 or 5ft long. I guess the second one is some kind of palm? Something that I've noticed over-time is that there are a lot of different kinds of palm trees. The mushrooms in the last pic were about an inch high.

Comment

Fantastic, as always Jim, good stuff.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

More from Hoomaluhia. It's really a beautiful place and a great place to chill. It has an excellent chillification factor for tree-hugging chillbillies.

Comment

The first pic is Kailua Beach from last night. I parked at this little Beach Park that's toward the Marine Base from Kailua Beach Park. I got absorbed in the evening and taking pictures and when I finally headed back to the car I had been locked in the parking lot. Luckily, while I was trying to figure out what to do, this guy came along and told me if I promised to read the signs at beach parks from now on he'd let me out. He was very cool about it.

The second pic is looking across Shark's Cove this morning. There weren't any really big waves, but the ocean was plenty rough. When waves would hit the lava, they'd explode. Individual streams of water would shoot up and out like fireworks. The photo doesn't really capture it, but the top right of the main explosion shows a little water rocket shooting up. No snorkeling at Shark's Cove today.

The last pic is a sign on a scaffold at Ehukai Beach Park/Pipeline, advertising a surfing event. I was there about 10:30 and no-one was surfing. Conditions weren't great. Down the road at Sunset there were 2 people in the water para-sail-surfing.

Comment

Here are some recent shots from playing tourist in my back yard

Mount Vernon

flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Georgetown

And the stairs fro The Exorcist
                              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

a pic of my car taken by Jordan Shiraki...
                                shirakiphoto.com

Comment

Working...
                                X