Hawaiian Cultural Festival in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Cultural Festival in Seattle

You won’t want to miss the first ever LIVE ALOHA! Hawaiian Cultural Festival in Seattle on Sunday, September 7, 2008 – 11am-7pm – Seattle Center.

The event is part of the City of Seattle’s FESTAL program of cultural events – presented in partnership with non-profit organizations and clubs serving the Hawaiian community in the Pacific Northwest.

History and culture exhibits, craft workshops, and, of course, hula, mele and `olelo, and ono food!

The lineup of entertainers so far includes:
    Pacific Island Band
    Kiho`alu Gang
    Halau O Lono (Kumu Aunty Mano Lono)
    Na Leo O Hawai`i
    Halau Hula Pulamahiaikalikolehua (Kumu Modette Ka`apana)
    Halaus f Kumu Ku`ulei Gumapac, Kumu Claire Cortez and Kumu Roderick Escoltas
    Lua demonstration

Workshops: lei making, ki ho`alu, ukulele, Hawaiian history films, Keiki Korner with Hawaiian games, Lilo and Stitch

And more!

If you would like to help, we’ll be looking for volunteers.
    Contact: (206) 650-4882 or livealoha_seattlecenter@hotmail.com

Re: Hawaiian Cultural Festival in Seattle

ok - let's make that a cultural festival - no spelchek on HT (or in my brain)

Comment

And that entertainment lineup is just the indoor stage. There's also going to be a kanikapila stage with the food vendors, outside the Center House. Lots of local players will be participating there (yes, including me).

We're hoping this event will convince the city to add a full weekend of Hawaiian cultural celebrations to their FESTAL calendar in 2009, which already includes special events involving many of the region's ethnic groups, from Filipino to Mexican, from Irish to Italian, from Japanese to Tibetan, and many others.

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Cultuiral Festival in Seattle

Please explain what a 'lua demonstration' will consist of.
        My limited knowlege of the word 'lua' cannot mean what is intended here.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Cultuiral Festival in Seattle

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Please explain what a 'lua demonstration' will consist of.
          My limited knowlege of the word 'lua' cannot mean what is intended here.
          It's a traditional martial art. I believe another name for it is "kapu kuialua." (Corrections appreciated.)

At least, I hope they don't need to demonstrate how toilets work...

Comment

The second FREE festival is coming up on Sunday, September 13, again at the Seattle Center - this year, featuring special guest Willie K. (And I hope to be making music myself there again... )

Comment

Bumbershoot is happening that weekend too... WOO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                Bumbershoot is happening that weekend too... WOO!!!
                Nah nah nah --- Bumbershoot is the weekend before, that would be Labor Day Weekend, Sep. 5-6-7. Live Aloha II is on the same grounds, just a week later.

Comment

And those who may be travelling to Seattle for the UH v. Washington state football game - the game is @ Qwest Stasdium IN Seattle, on Saturday, Sept 12, day before the Live Aloha Festival

Comment

Producer TJ Williamson shoots a lot of footage at various cultural festivals and events around Washington State, and he has been airing much of it on SCAN (community access cable TV) over the years. On his "Cultural Festivals" series, he plans to run much of the material he shot at the 2008 "Live Aloha" Hawaiian Cultural Festival.

Since I recall him filming while I was performing (I was in three groups there last year), I'm going to guess that I might pop up in some of the material. The program will air twice - Sunday, September 6 at 6:30-7:30 pm, and repeated Friday, September 11 at 10:30-11:30 am, on SCAN-TV, which is cable channel 77 on most systems in the Seattle area, channel 29 on a few others. Outside Seattle, you can catch a live webstream at www.scantv.org

This will be good to have airing just prior to this year's event, on Sunday, September 13 at Seattle Center. More details at:
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattl...al/52732963748

Comment

The Live Aloha event in Seattle comes along in just a couple of weeks - Sunday, September 13 (day after the Sept 12 UH v. Washington State football game to be played at QWEST Stadium in Seattle).

Here's the Festival's new Web site for further information:

http://www.seattlelivealohafestival.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        The Live Aloha event in Seattle comes along in just a couple of weeks - Sunday, September 13 (day after the Sept 12 UH v. Washington State football game to be played at QWEST Stadium in Seattle).

Here's the Festival's new Web site for further information:
                        I'll be performing there twice ---
                        Outdoor Music Tent:
                        11:15 - Ke Kai Malino (playing bass)
                        12:15 - Seattle Ukulele Players Association (playing `ukulele & leading)

It's amazing that a small crew of volunteers has made this a major event in just two years. Willie K will be a part of it, and the festival is free.

Comment

Just a reminder that Seattle's Live Aloha III comes along in a few weeks - Sunday, September 12 this year. The 7 or 8-thousand people who showed up last year were treated to 90 minutes of Willie K - C Pahinui is the headliner this year - unless you count Leo Lakio and the Seattle Ukulele Players Association! Complete rundown at:

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            Just a reminder that Seattle's Live Aloha III comes along in a few weeks - Sunday, September 12 this year. The 7 or 8-thousand people who showed up last year were treated to 90 minutes of Willie K - C Pahinui is the headliner this year - unless you count Leo Lakio and the Seattle Ukulele Players Association! Complete rundown at:

I'll be performing there three times this year ---
                            Outdoor Music Tent:
                            12:15 - Ke Kai Malino (playing bass)
                            Indoors - Center House:
                            2:00 - Seattle Ukulele Players Association (playing `ukulele & leading)
                            5:00 - Halau Hula O Napualani (playing bass)

Also this year: Cyril Pahinui, Keoki Kahumoku & Herb Ohta, Jr.

Comment

Seattle's Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival IV will be along im a couple of weeks - coincides with 9/11 observances across America, including some on the Seattle Center grounds that are expected to bring larger than usual crowds to the Festival.

Hi`ikua is the headline group, but the Seattle Ukulele Players Association (SUPA) gets to close the afternoon's entertainment lineup.

Check out the full lineup of performances and FOOD vendors (including Bullie's malasadas from Portland):

http://www.seattlivealohafestival.com

AND there's a UH v. University of Washington football game at Husky Stadium the day before. Go Warriors!

Comment

Working...
                              X