Gwoemul vs Cloverfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwoemul vs Cloverfield

Cloverfield tries to scare you by keeping the monster out of sight. Gwoemul's creature is eating your face within the first 15 minutes of the movie, in the best monster intro I've ever seen. You're basically thinking, "What the hell...it kinda lools like a...but it's too large...oh crap it's fast, RUN!" The Taiko drum really gets your heart pounding during this mass panic scene.

Gwoemul (translated as The Host) is a 2006 Korean movie; two years before Cloverfield. The CGI is fantastic. The creature's lighting/coloring matches the live action background perfectly. The creature's movements are both alien and realistic. None of that, "it's running in the air" look. There are two shots where it's charging a main character and it leaves you holding your breath, like that scene from Jaws.

Gwoemul's creature has more personality, but that's because you see more of it. You're always wondering, "What the hell is it doing?".

Admittedly the rest of the movie is rather quirky. It's got an interesting sense of humor but I think it'll leave most Americans confused. Because of that, the plot can drag on at times, but every scene involving the creature is worth the wait. Still, some of the non-monster scenes are well done.

I enjoyed Cloverfield, especially for the novel ant's-eye-view perspective. Both movies have a "what the hell is going on" feel. Each has it's own merits. Chief among Gwoemul's is the lack of a vomit cam

Be sure to watch Gwoemul in Korean, with English subtitles. The English voice acting is cheesy.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Gwoemul vs Cloverfield

While I have seen both movies, I really don't remember if any heavy weapons like tanks were deployed against the monster in The Host. I do remember that one of the family members was shooting flaming arrows at the creature and the government was trying to deploy something akin to posion gas at the creature.

Cloverfield on the other hand was more of a tragic love story with the true love dying due to a rampaging monster visiting the city in the middle of the night.

Comment

I give my vote to The Host.

There was a long thread here about Cloverfield, with a sizable portion devoted to the "vomit factor," which I'm sad to say, I'm very susceptible to. I didn't dare go to the theater to watch this movie, but instead, waited until the DVD release, hoping that a small screen would do the trick. So I rented it, but it was still nauseous, even though I watched it on my laptop (for goodness sakes!). I had to eventually go to the far side of the room to watch it. But even if I had, miraculously, found myself immune to the "vomit factor," I would have still nixed it. The characters in this movie irritated me to no end, so much so, that I found myself cheering for the monster. I wanted that creature to silence, once and for all, those irritating, self-absorbed, sorry excuses as human beings.

The Host, on the other hand, had me laughing (and crying), and I was totally drawn into the story. I liked all the characters.

Comment

A little bird told me that they were making a sequel to the host. Is this true?
        www.davidcarvalhowasright.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          I wanted that creature to silence, once and for all, those irritating, self-absorbed, sorry excuses as human beings.
          Hahaha. I'm glad you got your wish.

A while back I saw a resin statue of the Cloverfield monster for sale online, not too long after the movie came out. Haven't been able to find it again. It looked pretty interesting.

The Host, on the other hand, had me laughing (and crying), and I was totally drawn into the story. I liked all the characters.
          Yeah, there were some real funny scenes. The little girl is my hero. She was a lot braver that I would have been.

Originally posted by weirdhawaii View Post
          A little bird told me that they were making a sequel to the host. Is this true?
          Looks like it
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            A while back I saw a resin statue of the Cloverfield monster for sale online, not too long after the movie came out. Haven't been able to find it again. It looked pretty interesting.
            Ah, found it.
            "

Comment

I have to admit that the Cloverfield monster was much more interesting than The Host monster. I especially liked that he dripped little monsters. Awesome! I couldn’t help thinking, after I had seen Cloverfield, that it would have been considerably better if it had been done more traditionally. Keep the monster, replace the humans, and get rid of that vomit-inducing camera work. This is one movie that would benefit from a re-make. [I wonder how much money it lost because it kept away people like me (and a bunch more), despite a very clever publicity campaign.]

The Host, on the other hand, had very engaging and eccentric characters. That was the heart of the movie. It reminded me a lot of Tremors (the first one). Engaging humans will win over scary monsters any day ... unless that monster is King Kong.

Comment

A difference between these two movies is the time span that each movie covers. For instance in Cloverfield the bulk of the story spans from 4ish pm to 6ish am on the next day, roughly about 14 hours with tape playback from another day a month ago at least 3 times in the movie.

The Host on the other hand spanned days if not a couple of weeks plus a scene in the beginning that shows the possible origin of the creature from a few years in the past.

Not to mention that there is no explaination yet as to how the Cloverfield creature came to be or where it was from.

Comment

Working...
                X